Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Drip Pans

I've been using foil, rectangular drip pans in my LgBGE.  I'm thinking about getting a round 16" diameter, 2" high stainless steel pan to use as a drip pan on top of the inverted place setter..  Does this make sense?  What do you folks use?
·

Comments

• Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,905
    I use a 10" Stainless Drip pan on my small egg and love it. I got it from the Ceramic Grill Store and they have bigger ones for the large BGE. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I never owned a stainless steel drip pan, but i went thru three galv. pans and went to foil and it is cheap and easier since i throw it away at the end of the cook, plus i keep the foil just long enough to protect me probe wires IF i am using them...
    ·
  • hondabbqhondabbq Posts: 1,009
    edited April 2013
    I work in a kitchen so, when we get the frozen lasagne in or other itmems that have the foil liners I just wash them and take them home.

Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Sledder, Quadder, Rock and Roller, Big Green Egg Smoker.

·
  • I use an 18 inch aluminum cake pan on my XL. Works great.
    ·
  • I found these at Costco this weekend.  A pack of 30 cost $5.00-ish.  Works out to $0.20 each.  SWMBO says she pays around a dollar for one in the grocery store.  They don't cover the entire grilling surface obviously, but one provided perfect coverage for a 5.3LB brisket this weekend.image
    Sometimes I skip the water.
    ·
  • fljoemonfljoemon Posts: 336
    I bought a 14" Deep Dish Pizza Pan made by Nordic Ware. Perfect!

LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
    ·
  • A 16" won't fit on the large placesetter.  I found this out the hard way.  A 14" fits almost perfectly.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,242

I found these at Costco this weekend.  A pack of 30 cost $5.00-ish.  Works out to $0.20 each.  SWMBO says she pays around a dollar for one in the grocery store.  They don't cover the entire grilling surface obviously, but one provided perfect coverage for a 5.3LB brisket this weekend.image

I use these almost exclusively. If I need more coverage I just cut some 1 inch slits and fold the edges out. At the price you can't go wrong.
    ·
  • hondabbqhondabbq Posts: 1,009
    I found a 16" round aluminum cake pan that I fit inside my platesetter legs up. I use a cake cooling rack for the air gap.

Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Sledder, Quadder, Rock and Roller, Big Green Egg Smoker.

·
  • trup0241trup0241 Posts: 35
    edited June 2013
    I also have a 16" round aluminum cake pan. The pan is 2" tall. I use some aluminum nuts (3/8") as spacers and it fits perfectly.
    Pittsburgh, PA
    ·
  • flynnbobflynnbob Posts: 587
    Let me throw this out ... I have been thinking about the same thing and thought about going to a sheet metal shop to build a drip pan that will fit exactly over the profile of the plate setter. CGS if you build it, I expect a royalty.... (Or at least a free trial) Affectionately,    The Idea Man .....  A lot of thinking but no doing - too busy with other things ....
    Milton, GA.
    ·
  • milesbrown4milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    U_tarded said:
    I found these at Costco this weekend.  A pack of 30 cost $5.00-ish.  Works out to $0.20 each.  SWMBO says she pays around a dollar for one in the grocery store.  They don't cover the entire grilling surface obviously, but one provided perfect coverage for a 5.3LB brisket this weekend.
    I use these almost exclusively. If I need more coverage I just cut some 1 inch slits and fold the edges out. At the price you can't go wrong.
    Agree - the half size steam pans from COSTCO make clean up easy and are the best solution to transport brisket or pulled pork to a potluck.  They fit right into the cooler for foiling, wrapping in a towel and keeping warm until time to pull the pork or slice the brisket.  
    ·
  • bicktravbicktrav Posts: 455
    fljoemon said:

What size egg are you using?
    Southern California
    ·
    bicktrav said:
    fljoemon said:

What size egg are you using?
    Large BGE
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Take the tongs and remove the foil  -- let it cool a minute --  in the garbage, end of problem.  Cost less than a nickle per cook.image
    ·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,287
    Bought 13.5" from CGS...nice pan.
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • The grilling pans from Papa Murphy's Pizza are the perfect size drip pans for the LBGE!  Free for the asking.

·
  • +1 for Costco pans.
    ·
  • SpringramSpringram Posts: 417
    Solson005 said:
    I use a 10" Stainless Drip pan on my small egg and love it. I got it from the Ceramic Grill Store and they have bigger ones for the large BGE. 
    I use the 16" SS pan from the Ceramic Grill Store and it is perfect for my LBGE.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
    ·
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    I used a 2 dollar pizza pan that I found at the supermarket. It was shallow but I line it with foil.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • EagleIIIEagleIII Posts: 119

Here's my thought, and granted I am a relative newbie....about 6 weeks experience on a Lg BGE, but I did have an old bullet style propane smoker before the BGE and it had a procelain enameled water pan that I used to line with HD Foil to try and save the having to scrub it with SOS to get the smoke/grease etc off.  No matter what, you still ended up scrubbing with SOS or Brillo pads to clean. 

Now? I use the same disposable aluminum pans that Makers_N_Water and Milesbrown4 speak of...$5.00 for 30 pans at Costco(15 cents a piece!!!)...then when you are done, toss it into the garbage..woo whoo...NO scrubbing with SOS, Brillo, or anything else!

·
  • bbqlearnerbbqlearner Posts: 674

yzzi said:
    I used a 2 dollar pizza pan that I found at the supermarket. It was shallow but I line it with foil.
    +1 - to be exact, 16" round pizza pan (not stainless steel) and covered it with foil. This way, I'm covering quite a large area and prevent fire hitting direct on the side of the platesetter where there are much more opening. 

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

·

·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,389

Rats!  I've looked all over Costco's web site (at least I think I have) and I can't find those half size steam table pans anywhere.

Any help?

TIA

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·
  • EagleIIIEagleIII Posts: 119

Jaydub58 - I am not sure Costco shows them on the website...but I can tell you they have the half size in-store, long with the full size.  On the Full size they are the same price, but you get half as many...

Also - One other thing...I realized I had a brain cramp in my first post when said these were $5.00 for 30...that is not correct...they are $8.00 for 30 (27 cents ea), but still I would gladly pay 27 cents not to have to scrub a water pan clean!!!  

·

@EagleIII. I certainly won't yell at you about 3 bucks!

I'll check with my local Costco right away.

Thanks.

·
    Just FYI @jaydub58 I've found some of those half size steam table pans at my local HEB as well if you're looking for them and couldn't find it in Costco. I think I've seen some as well at Wal Mart (can't remember where I bought mine but it's not at Costco).

·
    Thanks, but no HEB here.................................
    ·
    BJs warehouse (www.bjs.com) also carries a smiliar steam table pan. They are 10.5"x8.25"x2.15".

LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
    ·