Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2nd Egg

Thinking about adding a medium to go with our large .... about what is the current price for a medium ?

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    575-650 is about what ive seen. this is in the MS AL area

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    If I must ask, why a medium? its kind of the red headed step child of bge line

XLBGE 
  • I was thinking that with a large already in the family, why not get another large to share toys with?  I have a small and a mini to go with my large.  They are great second eggs, but I bought them primarily for transporting and using away from home.  A medium is tougher to transport than a small and medium and generally considered the smallest "a stay at home" size.
    Flint, Michigan
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    My vote would be for a small or mini, for the option of going mobile.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    My next egg will definitely be a small. Hopefully soon too.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I'm also looking to get a small to supplement the large, and then unbeknownst to SWMBO'd the mini.  >:)
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I have an old 2 liter glass Coke bottle that I put pocket change in. I told the wife when it gets full I'm buying a small egg. It's getting real close to being full now.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    520dvx said:
    Thinking about adding a medium to go with our large .... about what is the current price for a medium ?
    You are in the $600-700 range for a medium egg plus the accessories. Have you considered another large (if you don't expect to travel with it).
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    I had a large and a medium.  I sold my medium and got a mini.  

I never used my medium, but I use my mini all the time.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797

My progression has been:

1L

2L

2L and 1S

2L, 1S, 1mini

1XL, 1L, 1S, 1mini

2XL, 1S, 1mini

2XL, 1S

1XL, 1S

1XL, 1L, 1S

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Let's get this put to bed: 117 Mini's
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    I'd buy a mini. I fire up the mini 3 - 4 times a week. Get a few toys for it and it's very versatile.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Ordered a mini for singular, small cooks to compliment my medium. I am currently in between career change and working at a local hardware store that sells BGE's, Getting the mini for cost plus 10 percent = $245. I will add accessories as $ allow.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Ordered a mini for singular, small cooks to compliment my medium. I am currently in between career change and working at a local hardware store that sells BGE's, Getting the mini for cost plus 10 percent = $245. I will add accessories as $ allow.

Cute
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    I am looking to add a Medium to the XL as well. A mini would be totally worthless to me because I cook for no less than 4 (mostly 6) during the week and 10-12 on the weekends. I also compared the size difference between the small and medium in the store and for the price difference, I am going for the medium.
  • 520dvx
    520dvx Posts: 78
    Just want to do side and such on the medium .... I had found one for sale locally
  • I am curious as to the comment that the Medium is the red headed step child of the BGE line. I have an XL, have had it for 5 or 6 years. I bought a Medium now that its just the two of us at home. I use it more often that my XL now and really like it. 
    But why the step child comment? Just curious..

Watkinsville, Ga   XL, Medium
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited April 2013
    When we had a house fire I took a large and a medium to the rental. They worked out great. If I had to have three, I would go large large mini.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MrCookingNurse

I am curious as to the comment that the Medium is the red headed step child of the BGE line. I have an XL, have had it for 5 or 6 years. I bought a Medium now that its just the two of us at home. I use it more often that my XL now and really like it. 

But why the step child comment? Just curious..

Not as many accessories, it's too big to be easily portable, but too small to load up and rock out. Yea I'm sure it's great for weekday suppers for two folks, but so is my small, and I can pick it up alone and travel with it. It's not a slam necessarily, it's just known the medium doesn't get much love.

Know finding a deal on a used one is a different story. But buying new from dealer, I'd be hardl pressed to see the medium as an option. Like others have mentioned, if your not gonna travel, get anther large, share accessories and have more real estate to cook on. If your inns want small quick and possibly portable, get a small or mini.

Just my 2¢, and that won't get you very far
    8-}

XLBGE 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    If you aren't thinking about portability the Medium works well. My Medium is my "everyday" egg that gets the most use because it's on the deck right off of the kitchen. The Large and the small are in the garage and and are rolled out onto the driveway for larger more intensive cooks. The small then gets put in the back of the SUV to take to parties, tailgates, camping, etc. I would like to add a mini for travel and multi-temp cooks on the deck but that will have to wait til next year I believe.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

@MrCookingNurse is right. I always refered to my medium as the red-headed stepchild because there is literally NOTHING available for it aftermarket that you can get with the L or XL. grid-wise(AR, swing grate). It is a little too heavy to readily carry around(was since I returned mine) so the portability of the small and mini trump its 2.75 inch diameter size gain. I would get another for small meals and what not, but the versatility of the others beat it out.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited April 2013
    My next will definitely be a small to go with the large for transportation purposes. With my daughter going to USC next year there may be tailgating in Columbia in the future.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Ahh, I see. I haven't bought any accessories for my Medium but will. I appreciate the input. For now, my medium is for direct cooks only but I will get a plate setter at some point. 
    I had posted before that one problem I had was the Medium leaked rainwater onto the lump. That was my main complaint about it, but lack of after market toys may be an issue it sounds like.

Watkinsville, Ga   XL, Medium