Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak choices

Sundown
Sundown Posts: 2,980
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Help! At 7:15 this am The Little Woman (TLW) reminded me that some friends were coming for dinner tonight. They are both steak lovers and I have to admit I'm not too well educated in the department of meat cut, flavor etc.
I want to blow them away with a choice piece of steer that has flavor and that Mr. Egg will love.
I've got about an hour or so before my local meat market opens.All help is appreciated.
Thanks have a Happy Fourth[p]Carey

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Sundown,[p]It is hard to go wrong making steak on the Egg. To impress, we prefer either ribeye or porterhouse of 1.5 inches thick. Obtain cuts that have marbling through the meat (little specks of fat).[p]I little explaining to the butcher that you intend to cook these in your Egg over charcoal at high temp may produce a trip to the back and a quick meat lesson, along with some excellent cuts.[p]Spin

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Sundown,[p]I vote for ribeye too...bone-in, if you can get it.[p]Cathy
  • Sundown,[p]I'm a big fan of filets on the egg. They are pricey, but if you have Sam's or Costco nearby, it's not too bad. I like a piece that's fist sized and about 2 inches thick. Sear at 700-750 for 3 minutes per side. close the vents and let sit for 4 minutes. The filets will be a perfect medium rare. let them sit longer if you want medium. If you want them done well, save some money and but cube staek ;)

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Irish Smoker,
    Some killer advice so far! Can't go wrong with ribeyes, porterhouse, t-bones, or filet mignons. Those are the pricier cuts, but have optimum fat marbling....and oh so tender and juicy! [p]For these wonderous chunks-o-meat, I like to stay away from Select grade, and go with Choice or Prime grade. Like Spin says, if you have a good butcher, get him involved in helping you select some nice specimens!! Meat is his life.[p]Have fun!!
    NB[p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    steak2.jpg
    <p />Sundown,[p]Good steak = filet mignon. 1.5" thick!! sea salt, pepper pretty heavily - sear at 650-750 on each side for 3 min or 4 if they like a nice char. Then close up egg and cap it off for 3-5 min. Check with a thermometer as in the picture and go for 130 for rare or 140 for med.[p]Tim