Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last nights Paella (lots of pics

I did a version of the Naked Whiz Paella for the third time last night.  I highly recommend trying it out some time.  Still trying to perfect the soccarat, its hard to balance getting the rice crisp and over cooking the shell fish to death.  By the way, I don't think one bottle of wine for Sangria is enough for two people!!
LBGE, Twin Eagle 36" grill to hold my EGGcessories

Comments

• Eggucator
    Eggucator Posts: 226
    Looks great!  Where did you get your rice?
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN
  • sticks88
    sticks88 Posts: 94
    Mmmmm,yummy.

XL BGE and Pellet smoker

• I bought the rice from Amazon.com.  I typed in Bomba rice and found someone selling it.  I used arborio rice for the first cook I did, and the Bomba is a lot better I think, but definitely more money.  The naked whiz recipe for paella has some links at the bottom for on-line spanish stores that look good, my local store was out of chorizo so that's why I excluded it this time
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Got the same pan at TJ Maxx waiting for shrimp season in a few weeks to try mine out.
  • Looks good. If I may suggest... it looks like you may have put your shellfish and vegetables in a little too early. I usually let the rice cook a little more so that there is less liquid when they are added. You can also try covering your paella pan with foil for the last 10 or 15 minutes. It will help cook the vegetables and shell fish as well as the top layer of the rice.

Do you toast your rice a bit (in the pan) before adding the broth?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    By the way, I don't think one bottle of wine for Sangria is enough for two people!!

Here is a take on Sangria that was made in copious amounts for us by a bartender on a trip to Seville Spain many years ago...

Start with a couple teaspoons of sugar, add a whack of cut fruit (grapes, berries, oranges, bananas etc), then head to the liquor cabinet and grab just about everything white (clear).  Add shots of rum, vodka, triple sec, a splash of gin, a shot or two of whiskey.  We add a bit of melon liquer as well.  Then dump your bottle of red wine and top with about a half a liter of fresca.

Seriously good and it creaps up on you...

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Gin in Sangria?!?!?  yeah, that would creap up on me...  :-O

(sorry, but that just doesn't sound good!)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• BigWader
    @Botch - he used it in Spain - we weren't big fans so we leave it out too.  But with the sweetness of the sugar and Fresca... it wasn't that noticeable.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• I did Cointreau, rum, and cognac. Only the rum was white, but it was all good
  • RV10Flyer
    RV10Flyer Posts: 140

Thanks for posting the step by step pictures.  I’ve never cooked paella but it is on my list.

North Texas

XL and Small BGE

• troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    This looks awesome. I, too, cooked a paella this weekend. Seemed like a good springtime thing to do.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • BigWader
    @Eggxtractor how does the cover on the paella pan handles hold up with the heat inside the egg?  Do you expect to lose it eventually?

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    I have got to try this! 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks awesome! Paella is one of my favorite things to make on the egg!

@BigWader if you close the lid while cooking you need to cover the handles in foil or they will not be red anymore. You can checkout my paella post, mine didn't last past the first cook.. You don't need to close the lid, paella is traditionally made over a open fire.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Wow!! Lookin' good.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Looks amazing!
    Large BGE

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Definitely looks amazing!  I will definitely have to give this a try sometime.  I imagine the paella pan would come in handy for lots of things on the egg...at least that is what I will tell the wife when the box from Amazon shows up. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.