Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New XL Egg and Concrete Block table

2»

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    That looks amazing!!

What's the diameter of the egg hole cut out?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • tom_c
    tom_c Posts: 21
    One sweet table sir, very nice job. So do you polish the top? I love it. 

Thanks! I'm going to give it a little buff with some fine sandpaper after I slurry coat it. I don't want a high gloss but smooth.
  • tom_c
    cazzy said:
    That looks amazing!! What's the diameter of the egg hole cut out?

Thank you! I think it was 26.5"? Can't remember for sure but I used whatever the dimension is on the BGE website's table plans.
  • cazzy
    edited April 2013
    tom_c said:

cazzy said:

That looks amazing!!

Thank you! I think it was 26.5"? Can't remember for sure but I used whatever the dimension is on the BGE website's table plans.

Yeah, that's the Extra (fail) large spec. In the last pic, it looks small in comparison to your egg on the left. I was worried lol
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    I wish I had a place to do a setup like that it is looking good
  • tom_c
    cazzy said:
    cazzy said:
    That looks amazing!! What's the diameter of the egg hole cut out?

Yeah, that's the large spec. In the last pic, it looks small in comparison to your egg on the left. I was worried lol

You worried me for a sec there! That's the spec for the XL. I just went outside and measured again... It's 26.25" and the egg diameter at the felt is 26.25, so accounting for the ~3" it'll sit above the table top it should be a perfect fit.
  • cazzy
    tom_c said:

cazzy said:

tom_c said:

cazzy said:

That looks amazing!!

Yeah, that's the large spec. In the last pic, it looks small in comparison to your egg on the left. I was worried lol

You worried me for a sec there! That's the spec for the XL. I just went outside and measured again... It's 26.25" and the egg diameter at the felt is 26.25, so accounting for the ~3" it'll sit above the table top it should be a perfect fit.

I meant that's the extra large spec...I was agreeing with you. Lmfao sorry Tom!

• tom_c
    It's all good! Just gave me an excuse to open the egg and smell the remnants of the steaks I did earlier!
  • cazzy
    tom_c said:

cazzy said:

It's all good! Just gave me an excuse to open the egg and smell the remnants of the steaks I did earlier!

Cool cool! I really look forward to seeing your egg in it! Great work sir!
  • Great workmanship. Looks eggcellent!
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Absolutely love it!! Making me reconsider wood. Are you facing it with those tiles?
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • tom_c
    Greeno55 said:
    Absolutely love it!! Making me reconsider wood. Are you facing it with those tiles?
    Thanks. Yep, tile is for the front and exposed side. Acid stain and sealing the countertop after smoothing a bit.... in a few weeks after it cures more.
  • DJKrage
    DJKrage Posts: 15
    Great looking setup and nice workmanship!
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    tom_c said:
    Getting close...
    Really nice!!  Was always planning on acid staining mine.  Can you give me any details on product and application?  How easy/difficult was it? Thanks.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• tom_c
    I actually ended up using a non-acid stain. I couldn't find anything I liked in less than a gallon size for fifty bucks so I went with this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042XA6GO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1 There is little info about it online, even on the manufacturer's website. That 4oz bottle ends up mixed with 12oz of water to make plenty for two coats on my 7'x3' table. I'm very pleased with the results. All I did was mix in a cleaned out windex bottle and sprayed it on (after covering the egg and other places I didn't want sprayed). I also used a foam brush to work it in a bit and get into the low spots. The sprayer clogged toward the end and I dumped it on and that seemed to work fine, too. It got darker in spots where it pooled for too long but I like the rough, natural look.
  • cazzy
    Looks beautiful! Excellent job!!!
  • dfrelich
    dfrelich Posts: 104
    Wow. This is what I'm looking for. Did you pull some electrical wiring somewhere there?
    X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Sweet, you should be proud! I would post my bad ass nest but I dont wanna make you jealous.
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • tom_c
    dfrelich said:

Wow. This is what I'm looking for. Did you pull some electrical wiring somewhere there?

Nah, light just above it is all the electric I have there. Just inside the door is a wet bar with everything else I need.
  • tom_c
    Aquacop said:

Sweet, you should be proud! I would post my bad ass nest but I dont wanna make you jealous.

Haha! Thanks

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Hot damn.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Looking good Tom. I was thinking of making something similar for myself. What convinced you to use concrete block over Allen Blocks or Pavers?
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • tom_c
    edited April 2014

Looking good Tom. I was thinking of making something similar for myself. What convinced you to use concrete block over Allen Blocks or Pavers?

I couldn't find any pavers or other engineered blocks I liked for what I wanted to spend so I just jumped right to the blocks.

It really was one of the most fun projects I've done. Can't wait to build another when we move eventually. I've learned a few things from this one and think the next one will need two round holes!

• tom_c
    Oh, and it survived one of the harshest winters we've had in a long time without any cracks so I'm happy about that.
  • Beautiful! And won't blow away in high wind either :-)
    Doug/Jaime in Tucker, GA   Could almost walk to BGE Mothership  LBGE
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    That's hurricane safe! Absolutely love this build out. Nicely done!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    @tom_c  You knocked this out of the park, very nice!
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA