Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib question for Nature Boy, GFW, Cat, Tim M, JJ, & other Rib masters

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have struggled with ribs since I've had the EGG. Nature Boy's recipe has been a savior. I have a question:
Currently I put a drip pan on the cooking grid, put some beer and water in the pan, add a second grate with my ribs on. I've been cooking at 300 dome for 4 hours.
Do you think the following set up would change the good results I have been getting with this method?[p]1) Place my Weber grate between the firebox and ring.
2) Put drip pan on Weber grate. (now considerably closer to the fire)
3) place 1st rack on drip pan with 1st layer of Ribs, 4-5 slabs.
4) Place a brick on the 1st rack to hold second rack.
5) place 4-5 more slabs on second rack
6) place grid extender on second rack and put 3-4 more slabs on top.[p]I know that this would work vertically, I'm concerned that the pan and 1st rack are too close to the fire. Any thoughts would be appreciated. If this works it would bve a big help when doing ribs for a big crowd.

Comments

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Irish Smoker,[p]I've never tried a setup like this - I just cram 'em into a rib rack.[p]If you try it, I'd recommend shifting the slabs around periodically. You might also want to keep water in the drip pan so the ribs closest to the fire don't char. [p]I'm sure a more adventurous rib cooker will weigh in...good luck![p]Cathy

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Irish Smoker, I've always used the indirect method you described first - drip pan sitting on two fire bricks on main grid with a 2nd grid on top - for more ribs, I'd probably use Cat's rib rack.

• BD
    BD Posts: 87
    Options
    Irish Smoker,[p]I'm doing ribs this weekend.....what is Nature Boy's recipe that you refer to ?[p]Thanks

• Unknown
    Options
    BD,[p]His method is to place a drip pan on the grate, support a second grate with two firebricks, then place ribs on second grate. The drip pan is filled with water and I think some beer. Cook for four hours at 300 dome bone down. You can flip after 3 hours if you want.
    He does a lot of different types with different spices, I prefer JJ's rub, but have found this cooking method to work best for me.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Irish Smoker,
    I am glad the technique and temp I use is giving you the results you are looking for. I still find that method to work best for the way I like ribs.[p]Your stacking idea would probably work fine. I believe JSlot also puts the drip pan down low like you mention doing. (see his technique under Pork Recipes...he does a lot at one time). OldDave's setup uses a drip pan below the main grate as well. Cat posted a method several times about hanging a drip pan under your main grate. So this is a possibility for you. Like Cat mentioned, keep liquid in the pan (it will evaporate quicker being close to the coals.[p]The rib racks really do work well, and hold a bunch of ribs. You can also lean slabs up against the ones in the rack! Just as they have a little airflow around them.[p]And maybe you could elevate your second grate over top of the grate with the rib rack??[p]Hope that helps...keep ua posted on what yo do.
    Happy freedom.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    BD,
    Try Ginger Mahogany Ribs in the new recipe section.
    JimW

• Unknown
    Options
    Irish Smoker,
    Have used the method you mention. You'll find the liquid evaporates very quick, but until that happens it will be hard to get the temperature up to cooking "speed".

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    iR1,
    Are you referring to the water in the drip pan?? I never need to add water to the drip pan, and don't use any ceramic underneath. Though the temp of the water never exeeds 212, the 300 degree dome temp provides what seems to be a great "cooking speed". Babybacks 3-3.5 hours. Fat spares 4-5 hours.[p]BTW, the meat needs to be elevated several inches over the liquid to ensure good flow of air around the ribs.[p]Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Unknown
    Options
    Irish Smoker,
    Have used the method you mention. You'll find the liquid evaporates very quick, but until that happens it will be hard to get the temperature up to cooking "speed".