Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Tip for bacon you use for seasoning.

I saw this on some show. I dont remember what one it was but I have been doing it for a few months and It's amazing. 

Buy some Wrights bacon and remove from original package. Put in Ziplock and freeze. When you need some bacon for seasoning or cooking, cut off what you need. The frozen bacon cuts super easy and you can get exactly what you want. I dont eat the stuff by itself but cook with it often. This saves on waste also. 

Included is a pic of a birds nest on my back porch. Note the mangrates in the background. (they make the pic egg related)
imageimageimage
Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
·

Comments

• mangrates seem to be holding up well. 

·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,269
    travisstrick said:   I dont eat the stuff by itself...

:-O

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,057
    That's a great tip. We buy a pound of bacon and cut the whole thing in half. Freeze in 2 separate ziplocs and use the half strips as needed. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • That's a great tip Travis.  Thanks for sharing!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    Hey Travis nice rack!

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,467
    @Cen-TexSmoker he marked them :ar!
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
    Very good idea young Travis.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,278
    you guys dont have salt pork in your freezer?
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,848
    edited April 2013
    Really cool tip- thanks!  I love bacon, but I don't eat it too often.  I have found bacon goes bad pretty quickly in the fridge so this will be helpful.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,792
    good tip, mon.  For some reason I'm thinking of bacon and eggs.  Get some seasoning on those mangrates - they're rusting!

·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,851
    I seasoned them twice.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
    seasoned or marked?

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,792
    You could throw them in the belly of a stick burner for a few months.   After a nice patina built up you'd never have rust problems again.

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,564
    I used the fat cap off the Boston for my smoked turnip greens...num, num, num
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • We use Tasso ,salt Pork, beacon along with Ham to season our food down here on the Bayou also save the bacon grease for the bottom of the cornbread Yummmmmm

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
    ·
  • Que_n_BrewQue_n_Brew Posts: 565
    mangrates seem to be holding up well. 

=))
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
    ·
  • SpringramSpringram Posts: 420
    We use Tasso ,salt Pork, beacon along with Ham to season our food down here on the Bayou also save the bacon grease for the bottom of the cornbread Yummmmmm
    Finally, an expert on the art of seasoning with pig! Mmmmmm

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
    ·