Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First BB rib shoot out.

Options
Eller
Eller Posts: 56

I want to share this post in hopes of getting some advice from you all. I placed 5th out of 17 in a local BB rib shoot out. The judging was pretty striaght forward. Taste, texture and presentation were the performance metrics... 5  poor 10 best. I smoked the ribs at 225 degrees in a 3, 1.5, 1 hour fashion. I used WW coal and apple smoke. AJ uiced them every hour on the hour. I used Famous Dave's rub. Sweet Baby Rays for the finish for the last hour.

Results: 8s and 9s on presentation and texture and 7s on flavor.

The Prize? bragging rights.

Please comment on how I can improve. All of you comments ar welcome!

Thanks.

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    IMHO if you got 7 on flavor, the first 2 things I would look at is the SBR's and whatever rub you used (very curious). 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Eller
    Options
    I used Famous Daves off the shelf rub... probably the the oops. I'm sorry taz what's SBR?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I don't foil cause I think it dilutes the flavour. Same with spritzing..it just washes the rub off IMHO. You may want to use a stronger rub and maybe a light coating of mustard after you apply the rub and a good sprinkling after.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Sweet Baby Rays. 

I think it also depends on where you are cooking them to give you an idea of what the judges are looking for.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Eller
    Options
    It was hard to please  all the judges. 1 guy asked for a rib with no sauce just dry. Any thoughts?
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Sweet baby rays is really sweet to me, now I'm spoiled living in Oklahoma where there are lots of great BBQ sauces around. But for a competition I would think you would be better off not using a sauce designed for the masses not just BBQ fans. I haven't tried Famous Dave's so I can't really comment on that.

As far as the without sauce it should be either / or judges shouldn't get to pick and choose unless there is two categories.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Were they KCBS judges?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Browninggold
    Options
    SBR=Sweet Baby Rays..Try diffrent rubs/sauces if competing in same area. I've heard judges like diffrent flavors (hot, sweet, spicy etc..) in North South East West. You just have to try a variety of rubs/spices/sauces until you get it right. That's the fun of BBQ