Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moving? Movers or me

Options
In about two to three months I will be moving about 150 miles away. In the meantime, we need to do a number of things like buy a house. The company I am going to work for is moving us as I qualify for a relocation package. The package includes moving our belongings with 100% replacement value insurance. I will be making weekly, if not daily trips to the area once I start in June with a pickup. Should I have the movers move the egg, or should I just do it? LBE in a 6' stainless table on casters. I would just leave the egg in the hole in the table, but I am unsure if the shelf it is sitting on would hold up to the trip.
LBGE South Dakota

Comments

• Rebellab
    Rebellab Posts: 43
    Options
    Oh, and Kempy of you see this you can call or text for details.
    LBGE South Dakota
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You or mover is fine but I would remove Egg from table.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    So your choice is movers with 100% replacement value insurance or do it yourself with no insurance? I'd say that, unless you want your egg in your new place before you've "officially" moved, let the movers do it.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    @rebellab wtf? I find out on this forum you are leaving? I suggest you leave the BGE here in town. You can store it on my deck next to mine.
    I'm going to miss you hosting the fantasy football party every year, but wish you the best of luck.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I would clean the egg, dissemble it with the movers doing all the lifting, have them wrap everything in furniture pads and tape them up really well. Get them to help you put it together at the other end.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Unless the moving company is staffed by complete morons, they will handle it no problems, and if there is a problem you appear to be covered. Having moved a number of times, it is best to oversee the load and unload and take the time to inspect everything before you sign off.
    I'd advise them that the internals are fragile ceramics that need to be removed and packed. I'd leave the dome attached and have them secure it and pack as one unit out of the table, a LBGE is not too heavy for a mover. It is their responsibility, the less you do the better. Once it is set up at the new home in pristine condition, you can fine tune it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Let your stomach decide.

The question you must ask yourself is what should arrive first? You or your egg? or Is it best that you arrive together?
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2013
    Options

Knowing how movers and insurance companies move, I'd get a buddy, buy him lunch and a few beers at the bar, and move it myself completely disassembled and separate from the table.  It doesn't take long to break down an egg.  Removing the innards also helps with weight and makes the move easier.  Wrap in old towels or blankets.  

Not worth the possible long-term headache filing claims, and being without your egg in your new home for an extended period of time.  You've got enough on your plate getting settled in new home and job.       

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Options
    If you do like @Focker said and "get a budy and buy him some beers" make sure that is after the egg is moved :D
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @Focker brings up a good point, regarding the speed or lack thereof, at which movers and insurance claims process. If I understood you correctly this is a corporate move, meaning claims are typically handled very quickly, at least in my experience. If you haven't already, I suggest you ask HR how fast you can expect claim resolution if there should happen to be any damage. Good luck. 
    I love my egg, but it is far from the most treasured of my possessions. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    On the other hand... asking HR in advance about claims resolution might give them the idea that something is not "quite right".
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I honestly think that if you are using a mover that is associated with a van line, especially United or Mayflower that a $1000.00 claim on a corporate move would be handled immediately out of the agent's office. I was somewhat involved with that business for 25 years.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Rebellab
    Rebellab Posts: 43
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I still need to do some thinking on this. There are a number of things that my wife and I consider priceless that we will take ourselves. Good point on the claims process. I have never moved more than up the street since college, so this is all new, and yes it is a corporate move, and I am a new hire so I can play dumb with HR.
    LBGE South Dakota
  • jonessteave
    jonessteave Posts: 78
    edited October 2023
    Options

Moving With the Movers:

1. Professional Handling: Movers are experienced in handling heavy and fragile items, so they should be capable of safely moving the BGE.
    2. Insurance Coverage: The relocation package includes 100% replacement value insurance, which means that if any damage occurs during the move, it should be covered.

Considerations:

1. Cost: Using professional movers may come at an additional cost, and it depends on whether you're comfortable with that expense.
    2. Liability: While movers are professionals like Moving companies in cape town, accidents can still happen. Make sure to discuss the insurance coverage and liability in case of damage.
    3. Monitoring: Even with movers, it's a good idea to monitor the process and instruct them on how to secure the BGE properly.

Moving Yourself:

1. Cost Savings: Moving the BGE yourself can save you the expense of hiring movers.
    2. Personal Control: You have direct control over the process, and you can ensure it's handled to your satisfaction.

Considerations:

1. Weight and Size: BGEs are heavy and cumbersome. You will need the right equipment, like a suitable dolly and straps, to move it safely.
    2. Risk of Damage: Moving it yourself increases the risk of damage if not done properly. Ensure it's adequately secured and protected.
    3. Logistics: Transporting a BGE over a long distance in a moving vehicle can be challenging. Ensure it's stable during the journey.

If you choose to move the BGE yourself, make sure you have the necessary equipment, and take precautions to prevent damage. If you opt for the movers, provide them with clear instructions on handling the BGE and monitor the process to ensure its safety. Ultimately, the decision comes down to your comfort level, budget, and confidence in the moving company's abilities

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @jonessteave - thanks for all of that!  Super helpful, especially the link to movers in South Africa, where most of us reside!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    Zombie thread resurrection just in time for Halloween.  Boo! =)
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    greetings from south africa, the move was a success.  atleast this jonessteave is consistant....and whos up posting at 320 am
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Send me some biltong!  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • jonessteave
    jonessteave Posts: 78
    edited December 2023
    Options

Hi, I'll be moving soon so would appreciate if you can recommend good movers. It'll be best if you can also provide their contact no. Pls let me know your feedback and also if they provide cartons for free and how much it had cost you. #villa movers and relocation abu dhabi

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,859
    Options
    I have moved my L BGE three times in the last 3 years (yes, I am fugitive from justice on the run who likes short ribs).  Each time I have emptied all the components, wrapped and boxed them up.  I've left the Egg in its table and let the movers shift it.  Weighing in at a couple of hundred pounds, it's a task for the experts or at least not my soft 'middle management' hands. 
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    I have moved my L BGE three times in the last 3 years (yes, I am fugitive from justice on the run who likes short ribs).  
    There’s a movie to be made in there somewhere, isn’t it?  Preferably a comedy starring Pierce Brosnan.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,037
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    I have moved my L BGE three times in the last 3 years (yes, I am fugitive from justice on the run who likes short ribs).  
    There’s a movie to be made in there somewhere, isn’t it?  Preferably a comedy starring Pierce Brosnan.
    I loved Pierce Brosnan in Four Weddings and a Funeral.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • CPFC1905
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    It would be a box office sensation, obviously.  Perhaps'
    GoldenEgg
    Smoke never dies (with an Egg Genius)
    The (one) Egg is not enough
    Egg another day

• CPFC1905
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    I loved Pierce Brosnan in Four Weddings and a Funeral.
    Noted.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    CPFC1905 said:
    GoldenEgg
    Egg another day

Eggopussy
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Depending on how much the movers charge to relocate the egg - I think it’s a better call to sell the actual egg local, and buy a new one at the new place. 

Ends up being a pretty close trade off, and everyone’s happy. Including the movers lol 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• CPFC1905
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    CPFC1905 said:
    GoldenEgg
    Egg another day

Eggopussy
    Funnier, but from the Moore canon.  So as demerit for that.