Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leg of Lamb Bone In HELP!!!

Options
Deluca
Deluca Posts: 148
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I volunteered to cook a bone-in leg of lamb on my new BGE. Having trouble finding cooking instructions for this. Can anyone help me???

Thanks
Corey

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is one option. I like to smoke with rosemary twigs from the garden.

amb, Leg, JJ

I did leg of lamb at the last 2 EGGtoberfests. I prefer to remove all the fat as I do not like the taste of it too bitter for me. But stay on you M-I-L good side. Tomorrow cut slits into the lamb and insert garlic cloves (10 or so slits) rub with olive oil and rosemary. Cook 20 Min per pd at 350* dome and to an internal temp of 150* for medium. Cherry, peach, sugar maple, pecan any of those make a nice light smoke flavor. Indirect with a drip pan. I like to use a v-rack to hold the leg, The outside will not get crisp.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, JJ, 2001/04/14
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    this should help

or this
    garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper, lots of fresh rosemary leaves into the blender. stain the mess thru a fine sieve inject the rosemary oil and rub the pulp on the outside. 325-350 direct as you can see it is a bit indirect sitting on the stem tray. took off a bit before 140 and let rest . [ i am your basic raw meat eater so you may want to remove at 140]

lamb003-1.jpg
  • Chrisinhouston
    Options
    My experience is more with boneless butterflied leg of lamb but I did a Google search for bone in LoL and came up with several interesting ideas; you might try doing the same. Consider that leg of spring lamb is pretty open to rare to medium doneness and being tender but the bone will have an effect on the cooking, longer as it is a cold solid mass inside the leg. It doesn't take more then 10 minutes to bone a leg, so you might try that if your guests don't have a reason for asking for the bone in lamb. The raw bones can make a great soup stock for Scotch Broth or be given to dogs that are used to crunching on raw bones.

Only final point is that butterflied boneless legs of lamb recipes abound so it might be easier to complete your mission on that route.
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    Options
    Deluca

This was done this morning on the Today show. It has not been converted to our BGE type of cooker. But here is the recipe. I have not tried this yet but it looked great this morning and was gonna convert this to do on the egg.

Leg of Lamb
    INGREDIENTS
    • 1 8- to 9-pound leg of lamb, main bone removed, shank bone in tack, tied (your butcher can do this for you)
    • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    • 1 1/2 tablespoons dried Greek oregano
    • 1 lemon, cut in half
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    • 1/2 cup dry white wine
    • 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
    • 1/2 cup olive oil

DIRECTIONS
    1. Take the leg of lamb and place on a clean cutting board. In a separate small bowl, mix the garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Roll the lemon on cutting board, cut it in half, and squeeze the lemon juice in to the bowl; add 1/3 cup of olive oil and mix thoroughly. Massage the entire lamb with the olive oil mixture top to bottom, making sure you get it into the bottom crevices of the lamb.
    2. Place the lamb in a resealable plastic bag large enough to hold it and remove all the air, or wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. Place the bag or the wrapped lamb in a baking dish and refrigerate for at least 3 hours — preferably overnight. When ready to cook, preheat oven to 450° F. Remove the lamb from the refrigerator, unwrap and set aside.
    3. Place a large, heavy-gauge metal roasting pan into the preheated oven for approximately 10 minutes.
    4. Take one tablespoon of olive oil, drizzle it onto the lamb, and then season the lamb with a generous amount of salt and pepper. Rub the salt and pepper and oil into the lamb. Open the oven door and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan; then place the lamb in the pan fat-side down and close the oven door. Roast for 25 minutes; turn the lamb over and roast for an additional 10 minutes.
    5. Remove the lamb from the oven, pour in the white wine, and add the stock. Turn the temperature down to 400° F and return the pan to the oven. Basting frequently with the juices, roast 30 to 40 minutes, making sure that the pan juices do not dry out (if it looks dry, add additional stock or water as needed).
    6. Pull out and let rest 15 minutes. Remove the kitchen twine and slice the lamb. Strain the pan juices and serve over lamb.
    Tips:
    ·Preheating the pan prior to adding the lamb allows the lamb to sear.
    ·Removing the middle bone cuts down on cooking time.
    ·Marinating accentuates and builds the flavor of the lamb.
    ·Allow the lamb to rest before you carve so that the juices have redistributed, which yields a juicier lamb when slicing.
  • So, my wife had a fancy marinade, that I'll post if someone wants it, that we let the leg sit in for 48 hours. I then put in on the BGE with a place setter and V-rack. (I wrapped the place setter in foil to protect it from the drippings. I then cooked it at 350 for about 2 hours and 20 minutes (20 minutes per pound) An internal temp of 135. Pullefd it off and covered it with foil and let sit for about 15 minutes and sliced that sucker up!!!! It was excellent! Thank you all for posting and helping me out!!

Corey
  • Ham and Egg
    Options

Great discussion - going to fire this up this aft.  Thanks!

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Great discussion from 2008!! :D

FredFlinstone is going to get you!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Deluca
    Options
    Going back to this. I remember this turning out pretty well but I'm not exactly sure which method I used above. I'll let you all know how it turned out this time. Thanks
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Energizer lamb!
    canuckland
  • Deluca
    Options
    This turned out pretty good. Had 24 people over and all 9 lbs was eaten. They all said it was great so I’m going to believe them! 
    I ended making a slurry of EVOO, garlic, rosemary, salt, and pepper. I put it on a few hours before the cook, wrapped it in foil and set it in the fridge. 
    The setup was indirect with a drip pan. Temp was about 325 at the grill and 350 dome. Turned out about 15-20 min per pound. I had two pieces to make up the 9lbs. 6 and 3 pounds each. 
    Pulled at 135 and let em rest. They both gained 10 degrees which turned out a solid medium in my book. What’s odd is that I found different info about medium rare for lamb. From 125-145. I don’t do lamb very often so I wasn’t sure what the outcome was going to be. 
    So that’s my story. Sorry there’s no pictures. Too much going on so I forgot to take them. 
    Thanks to everyone posting in here and making this turn out the way it did.