Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Snapped bolt !

While I was cooking yesterday heard something snap ! It was one of the bolts holding the hinge to the ring for the top of the egg I emailed BGE Canada expecting to hear back Monday, got an email back right away and will be getting a replacement bolt. In his view this is probably caused b over-tightening the bolts..... Hope it holds up today as I planned to do my first Pork shoulder which is sitting in the fridge getting more and more delicious

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Oh man...that sucks!   I would be really careful.  Obviously you don't want the dome to slip out and break while you open it.  Do you have some good gloves and someone to put food in for you?  I would basically lift the dome with two hands with gloves...assume the bands arne't going to hold. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• 3 of the 4 bolts are still holding and the chap from BGE Canada said it would be OK but use it with care. I found a spare from the install packet and will out it on and loosen the remaining bolts a little as over-tightening could be the problem. Then I will fire her up and get going on my first Butt !
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Gotcha...I didn't read carefully the first time and assumed it was the bent bolt that holds the dome in place.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,661
    Who did you email at BGE Canada? I am still waiting for a replacement thermometer and did not get a reply since more than a month ago.

Jim,

Are you talking about the cinch bolts that go through the band from the inside out?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    paqman said:
    Who did you email at BGE Canada? I am still waiting for a replacement thermometer and did not get a reply since more than a month ago.
    There is a lady there who is excellent on warranty stuff. I can't remember her name though. I have e-mails at work and I'll get her name and address to you tomorrow.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• You should be fine without one of these bolts, unless you've overtightened them all and now they may start to give way.   These bolts do not need to be "super tight".

Sounds like you have help on the away, good luck with the cook today.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited April 2013
    I think the bolt you are talking about are the cinch bolts. In order to replace them/it you will have to loosen the dome and insert from the inside of the band. Hopefully BGE Canada sent you some new dome band bolts as well. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Just went on the Canada website and all the contacts are listed First name (Debbie) email bounced back, tried second name and got a response right away from his Blackberry. Very helpful, called me and all resolved Butt is at 140 after 3 hours and Dome at 230. It is a small one for learning. Taste test tonight !
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

That's the name.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• _BR_
    _BR_ Posts: 42
    Ask for Lucy or Sarah. My fav's.