Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Pizza Bites Appetizer, Banana Nutella Dessert - Pics

TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,353
Started out with store bought pizza dough (Wegman's), out of the fridge a few hours before cooking and let it rise.

Pull off a chunk and flatten it out.  Place pizza filling (pepperoni here) and cheese (String Cheese slice) in the middle.

Pull up the sides to form a ball, about 1 1/2 inches diameter.

You can use sausage or the topping of your choice.

Place in a pan, brush with EVOO, sprinkle with garlic, oregano and parmesan cheese.  

Bake raised indirect about 20 minutes.

Took the @Cen_Tex challenge from the 'Newbies Ask For Advice" thread and went sans temp probe (I managed to stay out of that one).  Looking for about 450.

A little sauce for dipping, and overall a good appetizer.  I need to play with it a bit.  Seemed to be missing something.  Crust was crispy outside, soft and chewy inside, but the crispy outside made it seem a little dry.  Also could use some salt.

Converted from indirect to direct and threw on some quick burgers
.image

Had dough left over, so decided to try dessert.  Same technique, but used a dollop of Nutella and a slice of banana. 

Brushed with melted butter, sprinkled with Turbinado sugar, same time/temp, then brushed with more melted butter and sprinkled with powdered sugar.

The dessert was a definite winner.

After the cook, put in the probe - 475

Comments

• cazzycazzy Posts: 6,717
    Very creative! They look great!
    Just a hack that makes some shitty BBQ...
    ·
  • Fred19FlintstoneFred19Flintstone Posts: 4,927
    edited April 2013

TJ, those look great!  Looking at your post, I kept thinking these would be great for the the egg demo cook I'm doing in June.  Big plus is to have an appetizer and a desert without changing set-ups or temp.  You're making my menu decision for the egg demo cook in June more difficult!  DON'T STOP!

(edit) Almost forgot, Bookmarked!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,065
    Fantastic!
    2014 Co-Wing King
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,353

TJ, those look great!  Looking at your post, I kept thinking these would be great for the the egg demo cook I'm doing in June.  Big plus is to have an appetizer and a desert without changing set-ups or temp.  You're making my menu decision for the egg demo cook in June more difficult!  DON'T STOP!

(edit) Almost forgot, Bookmarked!

Fred,  I think these could be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated/frozen making it even easier for a demo/fest.  From one batch of dough, I could have done another pan of either.  

• GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,646
    That looks awesome!! Bookmarked for when I can eat that stuff again.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • Well done!
    ·
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    Great ideas, thanks for sharing
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • EddieK76EddieK76 Posts: 415
    Well done....The banana and nutella looks great!
    ·
  • FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 1,659
    Awesome looking!
    Boom
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,357
    Wonderful idea. Looks like they are simple, make ahead-able, and really easy to get good results. I've got a couple balls of frozen dough in the freezer. Altho I had planned on waiting for the pizza steel to use them, I think 1 is going to be used as soon as defrosted.
    ·