Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

About time I try some pizza

First attempt at some pizza tonight, Going to try 1 pepperoni and mushroom (my favorite) and one greek (wifes favorite) Kids are gone for the night so figured it would be a good night in case its a total failure.

Few questions for some eggers opinions, I have read through some of the pizza discussions, so I think I might have it close.

Plate setter - Legs up, grid, grid extender, stone?

Home made dough, going to attempt it at 550 - 600, any idea roughly how long they take?

Going to be a windy cook with winds hitting 30 to 50 mph. No trees down yet, so that a good thing. Hope everyone is haveing a great weekend so far! I'll post more later, good or bad....

County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Sounds like you got it right.  Don't go too heavy on the toppings.  Stay safe in the wind.

AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Cut extra topping for tomorrow when the kids are back, sure i will be doing some for them tomorrow if they turn out....and if they do not turn out, well then I will be doing more tomorrow till I get it right.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    That's a good plan. Have fun. Even if they come out ugly; still will be the best tasty pizza you've ever had.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Nice countertops.but if I had to use that cutting that board, I would kill myself. :-)

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    At that temp should be 8 - 10 min. The rule of thumb for me is to lower the temp to cook the toppings further. What I mean is you have a dance between the crust and the toppings. As stated earlier, at that temp don't go too heavy on the toppings. If you use toppings that require more cooking, lower the temp to 425 - 475. Good luck. We have lots of fun with pizza.
  • At that temp should be 8 - 10 min. The rule of thumb for me is to lower the temp to cook the toppings further. What I mean is you have a dance between the crust and the toppings. As stated earlier, at that temp don't go too heavy on the toppings. If you use toppings that require more cooking, lower the temp to 425 - 475. Good luck. We have lots of fun with pizza.
    great insight. Thanks

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • texaswig said:
    Nice countertops.but if I had to use that cutting that board, I would kill myself. :-)

=)) ok sorry but that was funny, sounds like you have it down, just cook them and see ehat happens, its like magic. 
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    At that temp should be 8 - 10 min. The rule of thumb for me is to lower the temp to cook the toppings further. What I mean is you have a dance between the crust and the toppings. As stated earlier, at that temp don't go too heavy on the toppings. If you use toppings that require more cooking, lower the temp to 425 - 475. Good luck. We have lots of fun with pizza.
    There was another recent pizza thread where I basically said the same thing.  I like a pizza with a good amount of toppings, and cook at 425F.

You wouldn't cook a brisket at 600F.  If your pizza has much on it, don't bother trying super high temp cooking.
  • AlbertaEgger
    texaswig said:

=)) ok sorry but that was funny, sounds like you have it down, just cook them and see ehat happens, its like magic. 

Im not sure I get it... Maybe a little slow tonight after the rums last night.
  • He was just laughing at your cutting board,  nothing really to get. Did you cook yet? I really want to know how they turned out. 
  • AlbertaEgger

Just about to put the first one on, and yes texaswig, that is another of the wifes "cutting boards" in the pic.

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    So whats the verdict there AE???
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • AlbertaEgger

Sorry for the delay, lost connection out here last niught and gave up.

So the pizza turned out far better than I ever expected, cooked around 500 because we had a lot of toppings, crust came out a bit crispy but not burnt, just how we wanted it. Cant wait to do more and start experimenting with some differant sauces. Would not have been a success on first try with out this forum and all the good reading and help. Thanks everyone.

imageimageimageimage
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Pizzas look great!  =D>
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.