Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Thermal shock

Just occurred to me that if I start the Egg and then place the Platesetter in it, it may crack due to temperature change It is around 2C in Toronto right now. (coldest Spring in years) Am I correct ?
·

Comments

• GlennMGlennM Posts: 395
    I am in Cambridge and used the PS for two cold winters. No problem here!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
    ·
  • paqmanpaqman Posts: 1,655
    Don't worry about it... I placed a cold plate setter that was left outside at -27C in a 600F egg without problem.

Same here. I've used a 'setter that was out in -24C w/o any problem.
    ·
  • caneggercanegger Posts: 537
    I leave mine outside and put it in once the egg is steady and I'm in Ottawa
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,037
    Although I've never had any issues with putting a cold setter into a hot egg, it is not something I usually do. 
    Wether the temp is 10C or -20C, the thermal shock to a setter going into a 250C egg is probably about the same, in other words a 240C difference or a 270C difference is not that much different. 
    Other than pizza, I use the setter for indirects with a pit probe. When I take out my electric starter, I put in the indirect set-up including the pit probe with alarms set for max temp needed. Everything heats and stabilizes together. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,320
    I've put mine in a hot hot egg with two inches of ice on it. Where you at in Hogtown?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • I am in Oakville. Ontario
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,320
    Ahhh, the Tropics

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·