Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Thermal shock

Just occurred to me that if I start the Egg and then place the Platesetter in it, it may crack due to temperature change It is around 2C in Toronto right now. (coldest Spring in years) Am I correct ?

Comments

• GlennMGlennM Posts: 411
    I am in Cambridge and used the PS for two cold winters. No problem here!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • paqmanpaqman Posts: 1,703
    Don't worry about it... I placed a cold plate setter that was left outside at -27C in a 600F egg without problem.

• caneggercanegger Posts: 537
    I leave mine outside and put it in once the egg is steady and I'm in Ottawa
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,193
    Although I've never had any issues with putting a cold setter into a hot egg, it is not something I usually do. 
    Wether the temp is 10C or -20C, the thermal shock to a setter going into a 250C egg is probably about the same, in other words a 240C difference or a 270C difference is not that much different. 
    Other than pizza, I use the setter for indirects with a pit probe. When I take out my electric starter, I put in the indirect set-up including the pit probe with alarms set for max temp needed. Everything heats and stabilizes together. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,366
    I've put mine in a hot hot egg with two inches of ice on it. Where you at in Hogtown?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I am in Oakville. Ontario
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,366
    Ahhh, the Tropics

Steve 

Caledon, ON