Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking multiple pizzas.....

Ive been tasked with cooking 6 pizzas for dinner tonight.. Any advise?
XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    How many eggs?
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Try to keep pizzas going so you don't have any down time. It would be best to have someone helping you inside or where ever you are making the pizza and you running the egg. I have a rotation with one pizza on the egg, one ready for the egg, and one being made. I have a Super Peel so I don't have to worry about the dough sticking but you could use parchment paper. I also have a metal peel that I use to spin and take off the egg.  

Having all the toppings / sauce set out in bowls helps speed things up.

Here is one of my pizza party posts that might be helpful: Baker's Dozen Pizza Party 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    It's kind of a broad question but IMHO the key is going to be making sure your stone/steel doesn't get beyond your desired temp. That means a good fire barrier and a little bit of air space between the stone and the indirect part. Others will most certainly disagree.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I only have 1 egg..  I tried the whole parchment paper and the pizza crust had a horrible taste to it lol.. Ive been using the corn meal and had no issues with it.  but 6 pizzas is going to test me
  • why do you say " little bit of air space between the stone and the indirect part" what difference does it make whether its 1/2" or 3"?  just curious to know.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Try pulling the parchment about a minute into the cook. Just grab it and pull lightly. If it's ready it will come out easily.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2013

Parchment paper or pizza screens will make things much easier for this task.  That way you could stretch, sauce, and top out 2-3 while the egg is preheating.  And start on the last 3 while you are cooking the first ones.  You should be able to keep up.  500 degrees would be a good overall temp, that way if the frequent opening causes a temp increase, you have some room to flex. 

It's a little different at fests when I do multiple pies.  I will stretch, sauce, top, each one individually as I go.  Always have questions from the potential new eggers to answer.  I can work and talk through each pie.

Similar to a wok cook, everything must be mis en place, toppings prepped and ready to go as needed.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

We have done 4-6 in in one evening, We started early and pre made 2-3. As they were cooking we had the guests build their own. It takes a lot of counter space but it makes for a fun evening with all involved.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    A few pizzas ago went to get the corn meal and it was gone
    so I grabbed the box of Jiffy corn muffin mix and thought, "This will work"
    And it did, Try it on ur stone  kinda adds a sweet flavor to it.
    The XYL said  "What did you do different, This crust is awesome" 

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I cook my pizza on none stick pans on top of the stone - works for me.  On multiple pies, i have four pans and just rotate them as the pizza finish cooking.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Read @Solson005 post - a successful "multi pie cooker" or is that baker? 
    I've never had an issue with parchment, not sure what your issue might be and I've left the pie on parchment for anywhere between 2 and 5 minutes. Make sure the paper is less than the stone size. I trace the stone onto paper and then cut the paper at least 1/2" less than the stone size. At +500 temps the paper will burn. Shape your crusts to paper size less at least 1/2".

Also, wipe the stone with a damp cloth to cool it slightly between pies, after two the stone can get too hot. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Great tip with the damp cloth @Skiddymarker

As mentioned I almost only do pizza parties, now that a few of my friends have had pizza on the egg I put the word out and almost never make fewer than 4 pizzas when I do them. The Super Peel really helps so that might be something to look into if you do pizza parties often. My thoughts are I would rather buy a tool that is rather expensive once than have to check to make sure I have parchment paper for every cook. Plus I am a gadget guy which I am sure is hard to tell from my posts.. haha.

How did it turn out? 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    We cooked first about ten skewers of kabobs at 350F indirect using AR followed by four pizzas at 400F indirect with a pizza stone on top of the AR indirect. Started with a firebowl full of lump and had to add some chunks at the end as the red hots were getting low. We made our own dough and used parchment paper for the first few minutes on each pie before pulling it out. Pies cooked in about 15 minutes, rotating 180 degrees about at about the half way mark. All turned out well and we are now in our friend's wills! 
  • Thanks for all the advice guys I ended up doing seven pizzas last night. They turned out okay but when I have been doing one pizza for me and the wife it turned out awesome don't know what went wrong but it worked. I think the Super Peel is in the future :)