Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for pulled chicken recipe

Options
My wife bought a couple nice organic whole chickens and wants pulled chicken.  Should I just use a spatchcock chicken rub and smoke slower, or does anyone have a tried and true good recipe?  Any idea how long it should take for a 5# whole bird?
--Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill

Comments

• jeroldharter
    Options
    Spatchcock would be fine but the meat does not fall off the bone as you might want for pulled chicken. I would spatch it in your usual manner and then FTC with some added liquid like fairly runny consistency BBQ sauce, Bone Suckin Sauce, or similar for at least 30 min. That will make the meat juicy and soft.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited April 2013
    Options
    400 raised direct about an hour on 4lb 'er. Cook just as you would for any spatchcocked chicken. Then get two forks. Do this cook a lot. You do not want falling off the bone, too dry. imageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DaveM
    DaveM Posts: 100
    Options
    Those picts look great - now, I'm hungry.  Will have to wait till tomorrow due to busy Saturday, but I know what's for dinner tomorrow night!  

Is there any point in doing it whole, or should I just butterfly and be done?
    --Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Whole is easer. By whole = spatchcocked.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Or you can do it inverted on a stand and overcook a bit. (broken record I know)

Steve 

Caledon, ON