Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shish Kebabs!

In a fit of extreme indolence and laziness I bought pre-assembled and skewered beef loin top sirloin shish kebab from my local Public food store.  I wondered what that offering would be like, and I wanted to try kebabs on my BGE.  My wife would have been horrified about my buying the assembled kebabs, but currently she is out of town.  So I went the easy route. 

I transferred the skewered meat and veggies from the wooden skewer to the flexible fire wire that I was dying to try.  I marinaded the kebabs for an hour in a dish with a sauce on the shelf at Public's called 'World Harbors Jamaican Style Jerk Marinade and Sauce'.  (Again the wife would be horrified, she has a spectacular marinade for kebabs!)

At about 400 degrees raised direct (Woo3), it took about 15 minutes to reach the rare temperature for beef (thanks thermapen!), and I opened it up for a couple of minutes to get a glaze happening.  GREAT results, and very easy which is what I was after.  And I have a whole skewer left over for tomorrow.

At this time I don't see any advantage to the fire wire over a bamboo skewer, but maybe for bigger cooks it would be an advantage.  I probably won't bother with the fire wire skewers in the future, live and learn...

Dave

no, not -that- one!
KI4PSR

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Nice, Kabobs, a family favourite - veggies and meat on a stick!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    I thought the big draw for the FireWire was that they're flexible, so you can bend them and fit more stuff onto a smaller surface. For this cook that's not really an issue, plenty of room in all directions. 

Right?

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Looks good to me. Feel free to send me the fire wire skewers and I will take care of them .

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    That looks good
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Fire wire is great for when you have a full grill.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Very nice.  I do separate meat and veggies because of different cooking times.  Did everything cook OK all together?

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Every thing cooked together, veggies tender but not mushy, still crisp.
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Very nice.  I do separate meat and veggies because of different cooking times.  Did everything cook OK all together?
    Doc - Larger pepper and onion slices work OK if crisp, mushrooms left whole, not so much. If the veggies will not cook in the same time, I nuke them, microwaves are great to get them started. Mushrooms slip on the stick without splitting if they are slightly cooked. 
    Tomatoes I can never get right, I put those on a different stick. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!