Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ozark Oak is the best!

Recently got OO from BBQguys.com.  Previously a user of WGWW / RO / BGE / BOTW.  It lights faster than WGWW and has about the same amount of staying power. (better actually for hot&fast) It has a more neutral taste than RO, cheaper than BGE, and better in every way (except price) than BOTW.

I highly recommend it and the only thing I regret is that I did not have an egg when I lived in Arkansas!

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Looking forward to trying my first bag!  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @Z_Eggineer-I found that with OO the oak flavor was more pronounced than the generic RO I used (probably because the RO is a mixed bag of woods) and would impact the smoke wood (unless oak:)) flavor.  I have found WGWW to be the most smoke neutral lump I have used.  Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    I agree WGWW is the most smoke-neutral.  If I wanted completely neutral though, I would wrap in foil or cook indoors.  I like the flavor of OO (I realize everyone has different tastes, etc). Lol, "RO is a mixed bag."  I guess I love oak charcoal, but not oak wood (unless whiskey barrel wood).  Just my $0.02 (and that's about all it's worth!)
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

Well, I guess there is one in every crowd.   Only low and slow cook I have had on the Egg ( out of 25-30) that did the vertical burn with the fire going out was OO.   Maybe it was a bad bag, or too high a moisture, -- or heaven forbid operator error.

I used the rest of the OO for higher temp cooks and will only use Wicked Good for low/slow overnight cooks.

Just my opinion...

Cookin in Texas
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    boatbum said:

Well, I guess there is one in every crowd.   Only low and slow cook I have had on the Egg ( out of 25-30) that did the vertical burn with the fire going out was OO.   Maybe it was a bad bag, or too high a moisture, -- or heaven forbid operator error.

I used the rest of the OO for higher temp cooks and will only use Wicked Good for low/slow overnight cooks.

Just my opinion...

You're right. It happens with every charcoal it seems. The only charcoal I've ever had go out was WGWW. Twice on overnight cooks due to ash build-up(This is back when I was paranoid and cleaned out the egg before every low and slow). I will have to try it again if the price is right. I think it was just a bad bag.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @henapple hates Ozark Oak.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    I use Ozark Oak on my Mini and Wicked Good for long cooks on my LBGE. The OO seems to light faster. That is why I use it on the Mini since I use it only for hot and fast cooks for wife and I. Started the spring with five bags each.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

The reasons to you see more smoke, smell a stronger wood aroma, and have trouble with holding lowers temps with certain brands is because........

They're not really "charcoal" per se.  They are still wood--in a stage immediately before wood becomes "charcoal."

Take a chunk of the smoky brand and throw it onto the ground.  If it doesn't break into several pieces, it's still wood.  That's why it smokes and has trouble holding low temp.  After an hour or so in the Egg, it becomes charcoal and will be more responsive/controllable at certain temps.

These brands often getting very high rankings on the survey because they maintain those nice big chunks.  It's tough making true charcoal (nearly pure carbon) because it's brittle.  Bagging it, palletizing it, selling it, then getting it home to the consumer before it turns into pea gravel takes proper handling from the shippers and retailers.  Don't store pallets more than two-high, don't throw the bags around like they're rock salt, etc.  Last week at WalMart I saw one of their workers throwing Royal Oak off the upper pallet rack down to the floor so he could restock the lower rack.

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    If you can find Dragon Breath lump, you may change your mind about OO being the best.  Low ash, great for lo and slo as well as hot and fast.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

One other note about the wood that charcoal comes from.....

If it's properly kilned, the difference in smell, taste, & appearance between oak, hickory, etc is going to be negligible.  Any charcoal coming out of Missouri/Arkansas is going to be predominately oak, with some hickory, maple, and other local hardwoods in the bag. 

It's really easy to spot pine or foreign woods.  Hardwood turns into a lightweight brittle chunk, but pine doesn't lose its weight and actual takes on kind of a crystalline look to it.  You can't gets all the tars (sap) out of pine, that's why it maintains its weight.  The best way I can describe it is pine is like a pork butt at cooking at 350F.  The fat and collagen solidifies inside the meat rather than melting out.  Pine does a similar thing in a kiln.

There are plenty of big box brands out there that have pine in them.  Sift through a bag and you'll quickly find it now that you know what to look for.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    dlk7 said:
    If you can find Dragon Breath lump, you may change your mind about OO being the best.  Low ash, great for lo and slo as well as hot and fast.
    I'm using Dragon Breath right now. It's OK but doesn't hold a candle to Maple Leaf

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162

@L_S-go ahead and rub it in about Maple Leaf.  That's one I am going to have to try but there are a few challenges in getting it outside the GWN.   Heck  my local charcoal distributor that carries OO and WGWW can't even get Real Montana Maple.  Something about syrup:)  Enjoy your cook!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Lou,

I have no Idea why they don't export it anymore. It's not like we are short of trees

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    @Springram: where do you get Ozark
    Oak in these parts? BGE dealer in the Woodlands?

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @caliking...I may be coming to Houston and might trade a bag for dinner and a swim..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    henapple said:
    @caliking...I may be coming to Houston and might trade a bag for dinner and a swim..
    Make sure you get to ride his PanzerEGGwagen around
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    caliking said:
    @Springram: where do you get Ozark Oak in these parts? BGE dealer in the Woodlands?
    That is correct. My Egg dealer is the ACE in The Woodlands. Bought 5 bags. Let men know if I can help.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Cheapest place I have found to get Ozark oak is grillstuff.com if you don't live somewhere you can get it locally. Its 10.95 for a 10 pound bag but orders over $99 get free shipping. I ordered from them a couple times when it used to be 8.95 a bag and they came in like 3 days and were packaged well.
  • caliking
    edited April 2013
    henapple said:

@henapple- Thats a fair trade! Might buy a couple of bags more off ya. Let me know when you're coming through - hopefully the pool will be warm enough by then.

• caliking
    Springram said:

caliking said:

@Springram: where do you get Ozark
    Oak in these parts? BGE dealer in the Woodlands?

That is correct. My Egg dealer is the ACE in The Woodlands. Bought 5 bags. Let men know if I can help.

Springram
    Spring, Texas

Much appreciated. I'll check with the Aces closer to me first, otherwise I'll check with your dealer the next time I'm up in the Woodlands.

Or I could wait for henapple the Charcoal Fairy to drive through Houston! :)

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Charcoal "fairy" !!!!

^:)^

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• caliking
    Hey wait... I didn't mean it that way. :) Honestly. At least wait until I get my charcoal before making the wisecracks!

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I fired up the egg with the Ozark Oak last night and i couldn't be happier with it.  It lit fast and burned nice and clean.  It does give of some smoke flavor at around 300, but I find it is a very pleasant and mild flavor.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.