Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza

Recently did some pizzas for the family.    
Used Mario Batali's Pizza Dough Recipe:  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/mario-batali/pizza-dough-recipe/index.html

1/4 cup light red or white wine (I usually use white)
3/4 cup warm water
1 1/2 ounces fresh yeast
1 tablespoon honey (normal clover honey - a little more just makes it sweeter)
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
3 1/2 cups flour
Directions
Place wine, water and yeast in a large bowl and stir until dissolved. Add the honey, salt and 1 tablespoon olive oil and mix well to combine. Add 1 cup of the flour and mix with a wooden spoon until it becomes a loose batter. Add 2 more cups of the flour and stir for 2 to 3 minutes, incorporating as much flour as you can with the wooden spoon.

Bring the dough together by hand and turn out onto a floured board or marble surface. Knead for 6 to 8 minutes, until dough is smooth and firm (this is very important, must hand knead for at least 6 minutes to properly incorporate the honey and the vino). Place in a clean, lightly-oiled bowl, using remaining tablespoon of oil and cover with a towel. Let rise in the warmest part of the kitchen for 45 minutes.

For individual pizzas or calzones, cut the dough into 4 equal pieces and knead into rounds. For one large pizza, knead into 1 large round. For either, let rest for 15 minutes.

Pizza sauce was our normal family recipe:

1 Large Can Crushed Tomatoes
1/4 to 1/2 Cup Dry Red Wine
3 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 yellow onion
1 small can of tomato paste
2 TBSP of Olive Oil
Approximately 8 oz of filtered water
salt and pepper to taste
hot sauce to taste

Bring to a boil, reduce to low, cover and simmer for approx 20 minutes to thicken.  It's done when you can't taste the vino.  If you want to use it at the 10 minute mark you can definitely do it.  I like it thick, stands up better on the pie.

Did 4 pies.  1 pie Canadian Bacon and Carmelized Onions.  1 Veggie pie (baby yellow, orange and red sweet peppers, black olives and thinly sliced roma tomatoes).  1 Pepperoni (no pics).  1 Kitchen Sink (tomatoes, canadian bacon, different types of cheese, peppers, black olives, pepperoni, etc.)

Notes:
- Food Saver was the bomb; made too many pies but we ate for days from the frig and the freezer.  Still have half a pizza in the freezer.
- Temperature went too high initially (up to 900F) as I was not paying attention like I should have been.  All was well, got the temp back down, but I should have pulled the pizza stone as it got overheated and burned the bottom of the first pie in about 2 minutes.  next time I will get the temperature right then put the stone on.  

Comments