Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some party food ideas

Options
Ok, so my birthday was this last week and my oldest daughter's birthday was the week before. We are having my wife's family over next weekend to celebrate and I have been put in charge of cooking on the egg for it. I need some help on ideas, I am going to feed about 40 people of varying ages (tons of kids). Here are things that I don't want to do:

1. Pork Shoulder (did this last party the family was over).
2. something costly as I am probably going to feed 40 mouths.

Other than that I am open to thoughts.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Burgers with sliders for the kids? Maybe sausages or chicken breast as alternative?
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    If cost is an issue, but time is not what about a bunch of different types of appetizers?

Turtle Eggs, wings, MOINK balls, pig shots, sliders, ABTs; all of those are great and pretty cheap. 

They will take some time to prep though...

Could always supplement with a spatchcock chicken or two if you feel the need to fill it out a bit. 

Let us know what you come up with. 

Cheers -
    B_B 
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Or what about build your own pizzas? 
    I'm sure you've heard of the The Baking Steel, right? (haha)

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Options
    @Black_Badger, yep sure have heard of that ;). Mine will be coming with the rest so it won't be shipping for a couple of weeks. I like the idea of the appetizers, I could prep them earlier in the day maybe or the night before....
  • RoundTowner
    RoundTowner Posts: 125
    Options
    Got to love chicken wings!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    pork loins are cheap and simple
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Pork butt tacos. chop it instead of pulling it.and add a couple of packs taco seasoning. and its on.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    If you look up my recipe for pork satay and use chicken thighs and pork tenderloins you might like the idea. Two day marinade but a fast cook. Kids just love them. I was going to suggest pizza but that is a lot of work for that many.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I would agree with chicken wings, but for fourty people that can get expensive, i like the pizza idea, everybody likes pizza and everybody will be right there watching them cook...
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Wings are  a good way to feed many mouths without too much prep involved. Burger sliders get my vote too. ABT's are great but too much prep for a big crowd I think. How about a simple (unstuffed) fatty? 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    Options
    Pig candy... Is always a big hit. Don't forget the grilled pineapple. Fajitas could work. Cook some flank steaks and slice them thin and set up a table with all of the fixings. Flank steak is fairly cheap and refried beans are inexpensive.
  • fletcherfam
    Options
    @LittleSteven, that recipe looks really good, I think a little involved for what I am wanting to do (father-in-law will be in town at our house).

I like the pizza idea, however, I am not good at making pies yet, cooking that many pies would be fun, however, I am afraid I would botch the whole thing.

I am really liking the appetizer idea or the pork tacos. Thanks a ton for the ideas.
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    I like to cook a bunch of marinaded skirt or flank steak, slice thinly against the grain, and then let people build their own tacos.  It's a quick cook and easy for a crowd that large.  Set it up like a taco bar with a variety of toppings.  Kids love that!
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2013
    Options

You may find some chuck roasts on sale for the same price as ground beef.  You can make it ahead, bag it, and reheat in a crock a couple of hours before the party.  Clay Q's Pulled Beef is a definite crowd pleaser both young and old, you control the heat.  I made our own sauce, APL's BBQ sauce and rub to help with cost.  For a crowd of 50 or so for my preceptor's retirement party, I spent around $110, at $3/lb for the chuck roasts from Sam's.

Making it ahead of time frees you up from hovering around the grill, a key factor IMO.

From the customer recipes on DP's website

http://dizzypigbbq.com/recipesPulledBeef.html

Another HOF recipe is Larry Wolfe's Pepper Stout Beef.

You could pick up some frozen wings to thaw, marinade, and toss on the grill 1 hr before the party starts?  Another cheap option.

How many eggs are your working with?

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• fletcherfam
    Options
    Working with one egg.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options

You could do the chucks two at a time, 2 per day a few days before event.

Whole fryers, broke down, egged, and shredded for BBQ chicken or chicken tacos would be cheap as well.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Pacuare
    Pacuare Posts: 77
    Options
    I would do chicken and flank steak fajitas with rice, beans, and chips as sides.
  • fletcherfam
    Options
    @Focker, I might do the chicken ideas. I have done a lot of chicken lately (my wife is constantly requesting my egged chicken) so I haven't wanted to do it again, however, my wife reminded me that not all the family member like pork so chicken might be the route, plus it is cheap.

And... I can make my homemade chicken stock afterwards...
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I made French cut chicken legs for a large amount of family and friends once. Cheap as all get out to feed a bunch of guests. You can marinate them in a Hawaiiany sauce, or any other type of sauce you like. They get swiped up quickly! The kids especially love them because they are easy to eat. They are simple to prep too.

I cut these a little too far down the bone, and didn't foil the bone....learned how to do them a little better since then.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

Dyal_SC said:
    I made French cut chicken legs for a large amount of family and friends once. Cheap as all get out to feed a bunch of guests. You can marinate them in a Hawaiiany sauce, or any other type of sauce you like. They get swiped up quickly! The kids especially love them because they are easy to eat. They are simple to prep too. I cut these a little too far down the bone, and didn't foil the bone....learned how to do them a little better since then.
    Those look like candied apples when cooked!  Cool idea!  Ok...silly question, but is "frenching" them simply scraping the meat and skin off the bone?  Cheeeeee-kan on a steeeeeek! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    You just take a sharp knife and score a ring around the knob. Then pull the meat towards the base of the leg. You can snip away the sharp bone and tendons that are exposed at this point too. Then you take a heavy knife and place it high up the leg bone....then using your other hand, smack the back of the knife and chop the knob off with one quick blow.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options

Marinated chicken thighs: The recipe below is enough marinade for at least 15 thighs.  Put them in a plastic baggy over night with the marinade. 

2/3 cup KC Masterpiece Jerk BBQ Marinade<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

1/3 cup Tiger Sauce

2 packets of Splenda or 4 teaspoons of sugar

350 degrees indirect or raised grill – basting with marinade when flipping.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI