Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - fresh glass or no

Options
Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
Bartender keeps trying to give me a fresh glass with each vodka rocks. I insist on using the old one, because the ice is 'marinated'. Just can't let the lime wedges pile up as they take up space. Am I wrong?

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    I like it.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Seasoned ice is where it's at. Stand your ground.

+1
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Tell him if he takes your glass again, no tip. He will stop taking your glass ;)
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Kruegs
    Kruegs Posts: 128
    Options
    No question...you're right!
    XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    I concur
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Gotta stick with the pre-marinated ice.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    tell the bt to shut up and pour. I hate it when I'm consuming beer from a bottle and have to continually remind Pimpy Pimpleton that I require a fresh, frosted mug or glass to enjoy my PBR to it's maximum enjoyability... you'd think after the 8th $@&# time he'd remember.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Maybe it's a health code violation in that state? Kinda like req'd new plate at Buffett? No idea.
    Boom
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Options

Please do not make "seasoned ice" a thing.  Bars might start charging extra for "Man Ice" from an "Ice Barrow" or something.

However, in a service industry, employees should serve the customer.  If you are paying 5+ for a vodka drink, you should get it however you want it.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options

"Please do not make "seasoned ice" a thing."

I think the seasoning process is called "The Travis Method"

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    Options
    Sometimes people think to hard...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said:

oh it's already a thing. This bus has left the station and it ain't coming back!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I heard of tired ice but never seasoned ice.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    just get it served like this:  
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Foghorn said:

oh it's already a thing. This bus has left the station and it ain't coming back!

So, does that mean that at a bar near me, I will soon be able to ask for refill and the waitperson will ask "Would you like a Travis refill - or would you prefer a fresh glass?"

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Foghorn said:

So, does that mean that at a bar near me, I will soon be able to ask for refill and the waitperson will ask "Would you like a Travis refill - or would you prefer a fresh glass?"
    I assure you "The Travis Method" is alive and well in Texas bars everywhere but it means something completely different. Order at your own peril.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I thought they didn't have those kinda bars in Texas

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Where there is Travis, there are "those kinda bars".

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Where there is Travis, there are "those kinda bars".

No wonder his tag is sometimes "Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here""

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    I prefer patron myself but agree with all of the above kinda, I guess, maybe. :))

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    Keep the same glass but always get another stir stick, I keep them so I can keep track of how many I've had when the tab comes.  Sometimes I lose count if I don't keep my stir sticks.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Keep the same glass but always get another stir stick, I keep them so I can keep track of how many I've had when the tab comes.  Sometimes I lose count if I don't keep my stir sticks.
    I keep them so I can spell out :"Thank you for your exquisite service this evening. Could you please call me a cab?" on the bar when I've had one or 2 too many :))

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I keep them so I can spell out :"Thank you for your exquisite service this evening. Could you please call me a cab?" on the bar when I've had one or 2 too many :))

Is the extra one or two for punctuation? Damn, you either have a fat wallet or the ladies love your ravishing good looks, sex panther. 
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    If served a fresh glass, I simply take the new one and pour it in the old one...
    Cookin in Texas
  • Tjcoley
    Options
    With a good bartender there is no room
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    edited April 2013
    Options
    somebody said:
    ...enjoy my PBR to it's maximum enjoyability... 

:-O  You've gotta be smoking something here too, right?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    In the UK it is unheard of to offer a fresh glass. In Scotland it's a fight

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    If he argued, did you ask him if he grabbed a new glass at home everytime he poured a new one? I know for myself, I would have to install a commercial bar dishwasher in the kitchen, and garage, or, buy many.....many, glasses.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • Tjcoley
    Options
    They never argued. . It was actually 2 lady bartenders who had fun with it. If they forgot and poured a clean glass, they apologized. It became an ongoing thing over the 4 days I was there. Back next week so I'll see if they remember.