Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pork Shoulder

WarEagle62
WarEagle62 Posts: 13

Hello everyone,

I would like some advise from you "eggsperts" I'm cooking my first butt this weekend, and was wondering...... Indirect over a plate setter, or on the grill over the coals?

This is my first cook on my new LBGE, and a good friend said a long and slow cook would be perfect to season the new grill. I have a 9# butt, with a Bad Byron Rub. I've read many posts on how to, but didnt see anything comparing the two methods.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    250-275 dome, indirect over plate setter. Cook to around 195.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795

"Indirect over a plate setter"

Yes

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    Here is everything you will EVER need to know about cooking a butt/shoulder on a BGE... http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm Follow that exactly and you will have a world class cook! Especially the part about loading your fire box by hand... 1 piece at a time.
  • Thanks for the feedback, and the link. It was very helpful.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Good luck and you picked a great first cook.  Don't chase the temp on the dome thermo.  Keep it between 240-260 and you will love the results.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Butts are perfect for breaking in the egg while you hone your skills. Go indirect as others have mentioned. Eggcelsiors temps are good and don't go lower. Don't stress over temps too much... You can cook a butt at 350* and still have great results. The most important part is to cook till tender (your thermometer will slide in like butter). You can start testing for tenderness around 195* in the meat.

Oh and have fun and share pics! Welcome aboard.
  • Thanks Dugan, Brownie. Looking forward to using the egg, and getting ideas from y'all off the forums.
  • One more question.... When cooking indirect, will the results create a bark on the butt? I'm a 20 yr. Weber Kettle guy, so this all new to me.
  • One more question.... When cooking indirect, will the results create a bark on the butt? I'm a 20 yr. Weber Kettle guy, so this all new to me.

I think it will do ok :))

They will look like a meteorite when they are done.

I agree with the guys up top on how to cook a but. love the whiz and elder but 200 is too low. Your fire has a 90% chance of going out at 200 and at 200 you are cooking your butt around 190 at the grid level. hard to get to 200 if you are cooking at 190.

There is also no reason to build a fire that way. I use to preach it too (because of Elder's post) but if your egg is clean, dump and light you'll be fine.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    No worries on bark unless you go for the Texas crutch once in the plateau.  Not sure your bark experience on the Weber but you can get some really impressive bark with the BGE. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thanks Tex, I need to get a V rack too :)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Posts passing in the ether :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thanks Tex, I need to get a V rack too :)

skip it and get an adjustable rig from Tom at Ceramic Grill store. haven't used the rack since I got mine. This is an old pic

• The Cen-Tex Smoker said:  skip it and get an adjustable rig from Tom at Ceramic Grill store. haven't used the rack since I got mine. This is an old pic
    I'm on the website now... great information.... Thanks

• Sounds Good Lou..... I love a good bark
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    and don't forget..... stalls happen, and like above dont let temp swings freak you out.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • T expand on the OP's question...what should the temp be at GRID level using a plate setter indirect?
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    figure the grid will be about 25 degrees less than the dome. 

IME the temp is not a big deal except for 2 things: 
    1) if you have sugar in your rub, keep it below the burning temp to prevent burning it. 
    2) higher temps just = shorter cooking times. 

Don't get too hung up on temps. It's not baking where you need really really exact measurements \ temps. 
    The big thing is to cook until that skewer slides in and out like it's in hot butter. No resistance.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • tazcrash said:
    figure the grid will be about 25 degrees less than the dome. 

IME the temp is not a big deal except for 2 things: 
    1) if you have sugar in your rub, keep it below the burning temp to prevent burning it. 
    2) higher temps just = shorter cooking times. 

Don't get too hung up on temps. It's not baking where you need really really exact measurements \ temps. 
    The big thing is to cook until that skewer slides in and out like it's in hot butter. No resistance.

25 is a little much but it usually settles in at 10-15 over a long cook. Agree with everything else
  • Foil the platesetter for easy clean up. Dont be afraid, as long as you cook it to 195* it will come out fine.
  • cbr0011
    cbr0011 Posts: 93
    My grid is always about 20 degrees hotter than the dome temp. What's up with that?
  • WarEagle62
    WarEagle62 Posts: 13
    It's been a while. Life has had me tied up. Here are some pics of that first shoulder. Once again, 9# pork shoulder, Bad Byron's Rub, cooked for 11.5 hrs @ 200 degrees with a few Mesquite Chunks for added flavor. Thanks for all the help, and advise, it turned out perfect. Y'all were a big help!
  • Great post and comments everyone.  I'm attempting my first shoulder next week and this has been a great read.  I had one question though.  I noticed a drip pan used.  I've done turkeys on the egg and use the drippings to make the gravy.  Does anyone use their shoulder drippings for anything?