Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg carten

13»

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    How much does a SBGE in a carten weigh?

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    @shtgunal3
    I'd assume under 100 lbs. just a guess

XLBGE 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

mwraulst
    said:
    how do i acquire one of those egg carten's for my mini? i get everything under the sun when i try to google them.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    mwraulst said:
    how do i acquire one of those egg carten's for my mini? i get everything under the sun when i try to google them.

Contect Scott.

Egg Carten / Scott Lewis / 281.714.7009
    Slewis87@msn.com
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• MrCookingNurse
    Scott emailed me back. He's gonna look into some stuff. Thanks for y'all's help!

XLBGE 
  • Bullibe
    Bullibe Posts: 132
    edited April 2013
    Mickey said:

Ok back to Cartens and something you should think about. If I had both Minis, both would be in Cartens. Started to get one a year ago in Salado but got around to it this year (March 16th) and my Mini has not and will not be out of it.

Only one problem I can see. That is some heat transfew from the bottom of Egg to the bottom of Carten. For the most part mine sits on a SS table with a towell under it to protect the SS table from scratches from moving the Carten around. Found the heat and went online for two things: first somthing to catch the heat and second to cushion setting it down. Found this materal that stated 500 protection level (not sure what it protected aggenst) so ordered a 1/4 inch for about $28. The first pic was after a 20 min 400 cook.  So orderd a 1/2 peace for about $48 to put under it. When/if it burns into the second peace I will pull all of the orange stuff.But (IMO) something is needed to cut the heat (not that it is all that hot) I think cutting would be good.

imageimage
    I wonder if glueing the mat under the Carten would be better, also you wouldn't have to use the towel under it to prevent scratches ?  Maybe the aluminum would dissipate most of the heat first? Don't know, just thinking out loud...
    Redneck Riviera, Gulf Shores, Alabama
  • MrCookingNurse
    @lit
    Did you just cut a square hole? I just don't wanna butcher my table to get it in therr

XLBGE 
  • Mickey
    edited April 2013
    @Bullibe had a phone conversation with Scott on this very thing. His thoughts the total 3/4 inch or just the 1/2" alone would be to high for underneath. . He could agree on 1/8 or 1/16 for the bottom. But I have $70 in this and thinking enough. I will probably order the 1/16 next week (very weak person). That to be glued to the bottom. Now what glue to use so if not working I can get off.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    @mickey I put my carten directly on a plastic table and cook for hours with no issue. I went 7 hours yesterday between 300-400 and not even a mark on the table. I did burgers the other night with the car ten directly on the table at 500 for probably an hour and a half and the top of the table gets warm but not close to hot.

@Mrcookingnurse I just cut the hole and got lucky. Start smaller on the handle to handle width you can always cut it bigger. If its too big the egg handle will hit the table.
  • Bullibe
    Bullibe Posts: 132
    Mickey said:
    @Bullibe had a phone conversation with Scott on this very thing. His thoughts the total 3/4 inch or just the 1/2" alone would be to high for underneath. . He could agree on 1/8 or 1/16 for the bottom. But I have $70 in this and thinking enough. I will probably order the 1/16 next week (very weak person). That to be glued to the bottom. Now what glue to use so if not working I can get off.
    I think I would use 3M Super 77 spray adhesive, you can get a nice even film on both surfaces before sticking together, then trim the "wild" away on the sides of mat, after it's stuck. Then to remove I would pull it off and roll up as much as possible then use 3m Citrus adhesive cleaner for the residue.
    Redneck Riviera, Gulf Shores, Alabama
  • Mickey
    @Bullibe I think you nailed it. Thanks

• MrCookingNurse
    Custom fab is way to expensive. Just informed SWMBO that this is the father day present

XLBGE