Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh pasta with smoked meatballs

Greeno55
Greeno55 Posts: 635
edited April 2013 in Beef
Original plan for dinner was spaghetti in a meat sauce. Well I had a little ambition and energy after work, so I decided to make some beef meatballs, fresh pasta with sauce. Meatballs were pretty simple. Didn't feel like running back out as we are in the middle of getting 3.5" of rain, so beef alone it was. Mixed some oregano, basil, burger seasoning, Italian bread crumbs and diced onions, topped winsome steak seasoning, then smoked at 300° with a couple hickory chunks for about 90 minutes (I think. Wasn't really paying attention to time). While they were on the grill, made a quick egg pasta dough and attached the Kitchen Aid pasta roller/cutter attachment. Once the balls were done, put them in the sauce for about a balf hour and put it all together with some garlic bread and freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Tough to by boxed dried pasta after making fresh yourself. Really easy too.
LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Looks great !

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    The next time you do pasta please take a few pics for those of us that don't read well like VI and post the story for many of us wanting to see it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Greeno55
    Thanks guys!

@Mickey Will do. It was really quite easy. I used 2-3/4 cups of AP flour, 1tsp of salt, 4 large eggs and mixed them up. It's pretty dry in my place, so I had to add a few tsps of water and mixed slow till it started to come together. Then I put on the dough hook and sped it up for a couple minutes until it formed into a ball. Wrapped it in plastic wrap and let it sit for 20 minutes. Split the ball into three and put it through the pasta roller progressively thinning it out, then through the cutter. This was spaghetti, and was good, but the fettuccine I've made before was so much better. Will are sure to have pics of that next time.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    That's a nice meatball
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    That is some great looking sketty!  I have done this before (with boxed pasta) and it was great.  It was actually somewhat of a surprise to me how much better in made the spaghetti.  Only thing I have found is that you do have to take it easy on the smoke.  Making your own pasta puts it over the top! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Looks Great!  I made meatballs last night didn't think about steak sauce.  But I did grate some parmesan over it.  
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    =D> Home made pasta? I am in awe. That is awesome. Puts it over the top. I am insanely jealous especially since I can't have any right now. :(

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

Thats a great Idea. I had just made a few gallons of sauce for Pies and such. That looks incredible.

I have always wanted to make homemade pasta, I think now I will get me a pasta machine for my pink Kitchen Aid.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Greeno55
    I used to be in awe of people who made homemade pasta as well. For me, going out for a good dinner was not to a steak house, but to an Italian joint who made their own pasta. But really, if you have a stand mixer, and a few bucks to spend on a non-Eggcessory, it's so easy, and so worth it. Cheers all!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

Very nicely done Greeno.  It is sad people around here think going out for Italian is Olive Garden.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Great job, love your enthusiasm! I need to try to make pasta, thanks for the motivation!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • EGC71
    EGC71 Posts: 29
    Man that looks great
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Very nice.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC