Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

8 lb picinic

Options
chuckwagon
chuckwagon Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put on a picinic @ 6 p.m. tonight. The last one took 22 hrs.@200.Low and slow is the way to go. My problem is I can't get the temp below 250. The daisey wheel is open a sliver and the bottom vent only about a 1/8 of an inch. Any ideas on the cooking time. Will I have to take it off early and pick at it untill my guests arrive!!!!!!

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    chuckwagon,[p]I've done pulled pork about 20 times. In the beginning I had trouble getting the temp to stay low. Guess what? The pork was tremendous anyway.
    I think 200-260 is an acceptable range.I doubt that you're cooking time will be 22 hours, but it shouldn't ruin your cook. If it looks like it's gonna reach 200 too early, shut the bottom vent completely and put the cookie jar top on and let the pork sit. The egg is great at moisture retention and shouldn't dry the pork out since the temp will be dropping. I don't like to leave the prok wrapped in foil more than an hour, I think it gets mushy then. Good Luck [p]

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Irish Smoker,[p]I agree with your advice. I often do butts at a dome temp of 250-270; an 8 pounder takes maybe 14-15 hours at those temps. [p]I've also taken a butt off the fire altogether for a rest in order to keep the meat's internal temp in that plateau where fat & collagen break down. This does no harm; if anything, it makes the finished product even more tender & juicy.[p]Butts are pretty forgiving - you can get great results with several different techniques.[p]I never wrap in foil either; I like the crunchy outside part best.[p]Cathy