Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TEXAS MONTHLY ANNOUNCES DATE OF ITS FOURTH ANNUAL BBQ FESTIVAL

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,669
TEXAS MONTHLY ANNOUNCES DATE OF ITS FOURTH ANNUAL BBQ FESTIVAL Texas Monthly Barbecue Editor Featured With Newly Selected Top 50 Best BBQ Joints On November 3 in Austin Texas Monthly announced that it will hold its fourth annual BBQ Festival on November 3 on the City Terrace at the Long Center for the Performing Arts in Austin. This year’s festival will be particularly exciting, as it will showcase restaurants from the magazine’s soon-to-be-announced ranking of the Top 50 Barbecue Joints in Texas. The list will be published in the June issue, on newsstands May 23. Festival attendees will enjoy an afternoon of barbecue sampling, great live music, and cold libations beside the picturesque shores of Lady Bird Lake. To compile the hotly anticipated “Top 50” list for the June cover story, published every five years, Texas Monthly’s team of highly trained eaters scours the state for many months, looking for the top new barbecue restaurants and revisiting those on previous lists to ensure they continue to deserve to be among the best. This year’s barbecue team has been led by longtime food editor Patricia Sharpe and the magazine’s new Barbecue Editor, Daniel Vaughn. Vaughn is the creator of the popular Texas blog Full Custom Gospel BBQ and well-known to barbecue aficionados by his Twitter handle @BBQsnob. He has eaten at more than 600 barbecue joints, the vast majority of them in Texas. In May his book, The Prophets of Smoked Meat: A Journey Through Texas Barbecue, will be released by Ecco, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers. For more information about the 2013 Texas Monthly BBQ Festival, follow us @tmbbqfest or go to www.texasmonthly.com/bbqfestival. Texas Monthly has a monthly readership of over 2.5 million, reaching one out of every eight Texas adults. Texas Monthly is published by Emmis Publishing, L.P. Emmis owns and operates radio stations and other magazines across the country.
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Where is that again....oh yeah, 20 min from the Casa. Come get you some.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Day is marked on my calendar, thanks for the post.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Mickey
    Just got it in an email a few mins ago. Have wanted to make this but never worked out. Might be cool for several to get together and get tickets.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    How much does it cost to attend? VIP tickets: $118* (see below for VIP ticket benefits) General Admission tickets: $58* NOTE: Children 5 and under are free; however you must order a complimentary child ticket through the Long Center to reserve your child’s spot in case of a sellout. *$7 Long Center service fee applicable to all tickets purchased online or over the phone. Service fee does not apply to tickets purchased at the 3M Box Office. What is included with the purchase of a VIP ticket? VIP ticket holders will receive: 2 beverage coupons One (1) BBQ Festival T-shirt One (1) Q Card redeemable at participating restaurants and retailers (click here for more Q Card details) Admission onto the festival grounds for one hour (12pm-1pm) prior to general admission ticket holders. Note: VIP booth on the festival grounds. Each ticket includes a one-year subscription to Texas Monthly. By providing your shipping information at check-out, this will automatically process a new one-year subscription for you, or extend your existing subscription for another year. Each subscription is valued at $2.00. If you would like to decline your subscription you may request a refund of $2.00 by contacting Megan Jackson at MJackson@texasmonthly.com. Where do I purchase tickets? You can purchase your tickets online, over the phone, or in person at the 3M Box Office. The 3M Box Office is located at the street-level of the Long Center, 701 W. Riverside Drive, Austin, Texas 78704. Open daily and through intermission during performances. Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover, cash and personal checks are accepted for payment. Festival goers have the option to have tickets mailed in advance (for an additional fee) or held at will-call for pickup the day of the event. Are tickets also available at the door? Yes. Barring a complete sellout, tickets will be available for purchase (VIP admission: $125; general admission: $65) at the 3M Box Office the day of the event.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Man everything cool happens in TX. I am really hoping to make Salado next year.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    What is included with the purchase of a VIP ticket? VIP ticket holders will receive: 2 beverage coupons

better be 2 big damn beverages...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    @henapple you get in an hour early (how much can you eat at 9 am?) and a t-shirt.(for sure its a Keep Austin Weird shirt).

• It's Texas @henapple, EVERYTHING is bigger down there!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Chubbs said:
    Man everything cool happens in TX. I am really hoping to make Salado next year.
    My good friend I will vote for you but VI has already black balled you and Nola's wife has made a doll.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I can't eat much that early but a 5 gallon bucket of bloody Mary would be good..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Mickey, that is the date of the Plano Outlaw Eggfest! The first weekend in Nov. Same as the last four years.
  • Mickey
    hornhonk said:
    Mickey, that is the date of the Plano Outlaw Eggfest! The first weekend in Nov. Same as the last four years.
    Damn them.......

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Think Snow's will be number one again? Five years ago, I hit the top 5 in one morning. From Schertz, I hit Snow's (full plate of BBQ at 0830), opened up Louie Mueller's, them hit Kreuz, Smitty's, and Luling City Market. 6 hours, 260 miles and $140 worth of BBQ later, I poured out of my car absolutely stuffed. Brought sausage from each place for my co-workers to try, and a full brisket from Snow's. wonder if these judges stood in line for 2 hours at Franklin's... Hoping Buzzie's in Kerrville finally cracks the top 5.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • GQuiz said:

Think Snow's will be number one again? Five years ago, I hit the top 5 in one morning. From Schertz, I hit Snow's (full plate of BBQ at 0830), opened up Louie Mueller's, them hit Kreuz, Smitty's, and Luling City Market. 6 hours, 260 miles and $140 worth of BBQ later, I poured out of my car absolutely stuffed. Brought sausage from each place for my co-workers to try, and a full brisket from Snow's. wonder if these judges stood in line for 2 hours at Franklin's... Hoping Buzzie's in Kerrville finally cracks the top 5.

They ate at franklins in assure you. J. Muellers and franklins weren't open 5 years ago so they will both be very high on the list.

That was one hell of a bbq day you had. I don't have the fortitude for it. I'd have to break them up.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mickey
    Bet it's Franklin's.

• GQuiz
    You really can't go wrong with any of them. If Franklins cracks the top 5, I think Kreuz drops off. Though I absolutely love Buzzie's in Kerrville. Nov 3rd is on the calendar.

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    GQuiz said:
    Wow - that's hard core! I've been to Snow's and Franklin's and thought their briskets are the top!

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794

If they sampled the food recently it could be The Granary in San Antonio.  I haven't been there yet, but multiple sources I trust say it is better than anything in Lockhart/Luling.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• GQuiz

For San Antonio, the best I've tried is at the Big Bib on Austin Highway between Walzem and Perrin Beitel.  Haven't been to the Granary yet.  And saying something is better than anything in Lockhart/Luling is a pretty bold statement.  If you ever get the chance, go into Kreuz or Smitty's and order the pork chop.  They're usually sold out by 5 or 6.  It's the infamous pork roast I've seen on this forum.  These chops are transcendental. 

I can't wait to see this next BBQ issue.  May have to get two coolers this time and hit all five in one day.  Gonna be tough to do Lexington, Lockhart, Austin and Kerrville in one day (holding out hope for Buzzies -- he tied Snows at the Texas Monthly BBQ cookoff two years ago).  In fact, it's probably impossible. 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    @GQuiz, I'm fully aware of what it means to say something is better than Kreuz - that's why I was so surprised to hear people say it. At this point all I can say is that I'm intrigued by what I've heard about The Granary so I intend to try it soon.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    GQuiz said:

For San Antonio, the best I've tried is at the Big Bib on Austin Highway between Walzem and Perrin Beitel.  Haven't been to the Granary yet.  And saying something is better than anything in Lockhart/Luling is a pretty bold statement.  If you ever get the chance, go into Kreuz or Smitty's and order the pork chop.  They're usually sold out by 5 or 6.  It's the infamous pork roast I've seen on this forum.  These chops are transcendental. 

I can't wait to see this next BBQ issue.  May have to get two coolers this time and hit all five in one day.  Gonna be tough to do Lexington, Lockhart, Austin and Kerrville in one day (holding out hope for Buzzies -- he tied Snows at the Texas Monthly BBQ cookoff two years ago).  In fact, it's probably impossible. 

Don't forget that SAT is Bill Miller BBQ's hometown. Surprised that they did not make your list. Just yanking on your tail(s) from Round Rock.

;)
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • BU_BBQ
    BU_BBQ Posts: 15
    A new place that's popped up in Spring, TX that I really like is Corkscrew BBQ. They have a little food truck and it's some of the best BBQ (especially the brisket) I've ever had. They sell out every day around 2-3pm.  I haven't been to some of the others in this thread so I guess I need to start traveling more.