Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

New XL Egg and Concrete Block table

Just got my egg about a month ago and started right away on a table/small outdoor kitchen for it. I went back and forth about a wood table or this but landed on this. Pouring my concrete countertop this weekend and will update. I used dry stacked blocks and surface bonding cement (Quikwall) to hold it together. It's been a fun project to take on and can't wait to get the egg into it!
image.jpg 1020.3K
image.jpg 983K
image.jpg 995.6K
image.jpg 900.8K
image.jpg 992.1K
image.jpg 943.5K
·

Comments

• JscottJscott Posts: 174
    looks fantastic! You'll really enjoy this!
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 15,808
    Can you come to Salado, TX?
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max +++ 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015 http://saladoeggheadgathering.blogspot.com

·
  • dlk7dlk7 Posts: 989
    Wow!  Looks great - can't wait to see the finished top!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 3,880
    =D>

Very nice. Keep pics coming!

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,847
    Looks really good. I never thought about just using cinder block. 

Can I ask where you got the SS drawers, and cabinet?

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
  • tom_ctom_c Posts: 21
    Thanks, all. I'll keep updating. Oh, and I plan to tile the face and backsplash after the countertop. Lotta work! (Not to mention getting all that rock and dirt moved once it's done.

I got the cabinet at Costco.com. They have a bunch of options with drawers and doors.

http://costco.com/Urban-Islands-Stainless-Steel-Door-and-Drawer-Combination-by-Bull-Outdoor-Products.product.11329232.html

·
  • Looks really nice, so do you have to move It? Looks pretty heavy. I guess no wind will blow it over.
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,218
    That's looks awesome. I'm jealous now. I'm waiting to build an island until I find my "forever home".
    ·
  • Very nice, is that a concrete slab that the egg sits on?
    ·
  • HogHeavenHogHeaven Posts: 264
    Nice... Innovative!
    ·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,706
    edited April 2013

Really nice! ...like the look.  Looking forward to seeing your concrete top.  
    I poured my top as well and built the structure with large retaining wall bricks.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • KoskoKosko Posts: 535
    That thing is hurricane, tornadoe, lightning, nuclear bomb proof!! Looks awesome!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
    ·
    Very nice, is that a concrete slab that the egg sits on?
    Those are reinforced concrete lintels that span where the egg sits and also across the counter top over where the cabinet goes. It's got a lot of weight to it!
    ·

Really nice! ...like the look.  Looking forward to seeing your concrete top.  
    I poured my top as well and built the structure with large retaining wall bricks.

Thanks! I had your build bookmarked and debated doing something similar. Yours gave me the idea to do the concrete countertop though. I'll be doing a pour in place rather than flip over method. I'm going for the more rustic look and also figured flipping over a 500+ pound slab would be difficult.
    ·
    Pouring the concrete top today. Wish me luck!
    ·
    tom_c said:
    Pouring the concrete top today. Wish me luck!
    Good luck, Tom!  Looks like you know what you're doing, sure it will turn out great.
    No doubt 500 lbs would be a big challenge to flip.  I did mine in 2 pieces so I'm guessing the were 200lbs and 300lbs a piece.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • If you don't mind me asking, how much will this table cost when finished?
    ·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    Looks great! Hope it all goes great with your concrete top.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·

If you don't mind me asking, how much will this table cost when finished?

I don't mind:

Slab: around $30 worth of concrete
    Block: $200
    Quikwall: $70
    Countertop supplies: $100

Plus the cabinet, which I considered a splurge. The whole hobby is a splurge I guess.

·
    Here's the top still wet. It's a bit rougher than I planned but gives the natural stone look. Will pop the forms off tomorrow.
    image.jpg 2.1M
    ·
    tom_c said:
    Here's the top still wet. It's a bit rougher than I planned but gives the natural stone look. Will pop the forms off tomorrow.
    Lookin good!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
    Looking good! What's the disc from Lowes? Something you cut or right off the shelf?
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
    R2Egg2Q said:

Looking good! What's the disc from Lowes? Something you cut or right off the shelf?

1" foam board... Cut it out and stacked three together then used liquid nails to glue some vinyl baseboard molding to give it a smooth finish.
    ·
    Nice! A very creative solution.
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • setdahooksetdahook Posts: 108
    Bookmarked!!! Looks awesome did you just trowel the surface bonding or how is it done?
    ·
  • HotwingkingHotwingking Posts: 183
    Very nice, can't wait to see the finished product.
    ·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,847
    Really can't wait to see the final product.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
    setdahook said:

Bookmarked!!! Looks awesome did you just trowel the surface bonding or how is it done?

Yes, just troweled it on, about an eighth of an inch.

·
  • One sweet table sir, very nice job. So do you polish the top? I love it. 
    ·