Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Blackened Tuna

Recently had some blackened mahi when I was in Florida and wanted to give some tuna the blackened treatment ( mainly because it was on sale :) ).  Seasoned it with lime juice and Smokin' Guns Hot BBQ rub.  I let the egg get up to 500 and threw it on.  Seared it on all sides till it was medium rare.  I remembered to take pictures of my cook this time so I could actually post something.  It turned out really well and I plan on doing it again.  I had some Bone Suckin' Sauce on the side but it was unnecessary.

I had coucous & spinach with it but turned out pretty bland.  Maybe I should do it on the Egg next time :)

·

Comments

• Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,248
    Fantastic!
    2014 Co-Wing King
    ·
  • Looks good. 
    ·
  • Que_n_BrewQue_n_Brew Posts: 558
    Outstanding! =D>
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Looks good, i gotta find me some tuna steaks!!
    ·
  • Plano_JJPlano_JJ Posts: 448
    Tuna is great blackened. my family loves it.
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,587
    That looks great, not sure how you did your spinach but try to saute it with garlic and EVOO till just softened do not over cook! 

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • Seared tuna is pretty damn tasty! I like mine more on the rare side. IMO, anything over medium rare and you might as well not bother.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    That looks great, not sure how you did your spinach but try to saute it with garlic and EVOO till just softened do not over cook! 
    Thanks for the tip!  I thought I had put a lot of seasoning in the couscous so that it would be balanced but it got drowned out by the spinach
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,991
    Looks great....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • ddeggerddegger Posts: 244
    Nicely done! I've got to go get a CI skillet....
    ·
  • MrossMross Posts: 334
    Looks good.
    Duncan, SC
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,879
    I need to cook more fish
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,906
    =P~ that looks good!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • HogHeavenHogHeaven Posts: 264
    I love, love, love blacked fish off of the BGE. Can't cook it in the house because of all the smoke. I am a traditionalist when it comes to blackened fish. I stay as close to the way that Paul Prudomme did it originally. It was so good like that it became famous and now it's served in almost every restaurant in the country. I usually serve it with fettuccine Alfredo with some pesto mix in, grilled asparagus with Hollandaise sauce and garlic bread. Mmmm
    ·
  • milesbrown4milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Looks great.  Did you buy it fresh and did you cut the fillets or already cut.  That is a nice cut of fish!
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    When i can find it here it is vaccum packed in small steak servings -- cost about four bucks a pound -- zero waste -- not a bad price - and healthy.  A restaurant near here serves it on top of a salad, and it is very good...
    ·
  • I got the tuna medallions at Harris Teeter already cut sitting in the case.  Not quite $4/lb though :)  
    ·