Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump storage

2»

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    HogHeaven said:

I beg to differ with you on sorting... I have never had to put lump in even for 16 to 18 hour cooks. Knowing how to fill your fire box makes sure that never happens. Using just small pieces for reverse sears is smart so you use all of that up at about the same time all of your big and medium size pieces are gone. Makes perfect since to me. But... To each their own. Happy Egging and dine well my friends!
    I used to carefully sort the lump and build my fire carefully but that got very tiring. So, I now just do a little stirring, clean out the ash, and dump in the charcoal. The fire lasts just as long as before (I've gone 22 hours on a Large BGE on a low and slow) and it is a LOT less work.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Personally I store some at the egg in a Kingsford charcoal bin, they cost around $12 or so, holds most of a bag. The rest is stored in the basement.
  • GatoGordo
    GatoGordo Posts: 80
    I use a metal trash can that I leave on the side of the garage. It holds about three 10 pound bags.
    LBGE, Stoker WiFi, UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I usually buy 30 bags.  Stored out back under the patio roof.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    @Doc_Eggerton Are you the one who keeps buying all the Ammo at Walmart also?

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Doc_Eggerton
    TUTTLE871 said:
    @Doc_Eggerton Are you the one who keeps buying all the Ammo at Walmart also?
    Nope, got all I can store already.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980

hondabbq said:
    RO 20 lbers went on sale for $9.97 couple of days ago. I thought I was nuts for buying 10. So did SWMBO thought I was too.  Seems like 10 is not outrageous at all. LOL.
    That is a good deal...where did you find that?
    Superstore this past weekend. 3 day sale.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @Doc_Eggerton
    I'm so jealous, they gave you your own pallet jack.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    @Doc_Eggerton I'm so jealous, they gave you your own pallet jack.
    Ha, I didn't know how many bags were there, it was under a rack.  I just told them I'd take all they had.

• HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    edited April 2013
    Mickey said:
    @HogHeaven I go with @Aviator. Big fan of dump it in and it all burns. Has always worked for me. Did the sorting once for a month and just could see no differance. I do sort of sort. I reach in one of the Larges to get pre fired lump for the Mini as it lights faster.

The only time I actually worry about what goes in the fire box... Is long low and slow cooks. I start my fire at 10:00pm on those cooks. I put the butts on at about 11:00pm. I stabilize the fire and go to bed at 12:00am. I can sleep good because I'm not going to wonder if my fire is going to go out. My last low and slow was a 16 hour cook and when I was done... I had 25% of my lump left for my next cook. If... I just dumped it in until the fire box was full I would not sleep well. We all have our own ways of doing things. I'd rather spend a few extra minutes to eliminate potential problems, that's just how I roll, in all parts of my life.. Happy Egging my friends, dine well!
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I build for low and slows. Larger pieces (fist sized - don't like anything larger) on the bottom, then fill 'er up. For everything else I dump and go. I have started dumping into a plastic bin, and filling Egg from there, which keeps most of the dust out.