Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"The Baking Steel" Group Buy

Comments

• EvansEgger
    EvansEgger Posts: 54
    edited April 2013
    I'm seriously considering ordering one for my large. A couple posters on another forum suggests getting the 15" one. I have a 15" stone and it fits perfectly with enough space. With so many people saying they were going to order one, I wonder if they did. Seems like not many ordered it after saying they would. I wonder why. Thanks for setting this up. I will more than likely get it. Read a lot about it and it is highly recommended.
    Go Hogs Go
  • RV10Flyer
    RV10Flyer Posts: 140
    ... Seems like not many ordered it after saying they would. I wonder why....

Not sure about others but I'm just trying to figure out which size I want for my XL (19, 20, or 21).

North Texas

XL and Small BGE

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited April 2013
    I think some folks (like myself) were waiting to see what the price would be like. I'm not a pizza fanatic or connoisseur, so I will probably be
    okay with my pizza stones for now. The steel is a good option though if my stone breaks. I'm actually a little more interested in the version with a lip.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited April 2013
    Seems like not many ordered it after saying they would. I wonder why.
    I think there were a number of people that wanted them for the mini, small and medium.  IMO the price is not a good deal for them.  I ordered a 16" and am quite happy with the price and free shipping, but for the guy that wants one of the smaller ones I'll admit that it does't make sense.  I'm not quite sure what he was thinking when he set the prices.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • BOWHUNR said:
    Seems like not many ordered it after saying they would. I wonder why.
    I think there were a number of people that wanted them for the mini, small and medium.  IMO the price is not a good deal for them.  I ordered a 16" and am quite happy with the price and free shipping, but for the guy that wants one of the smaller ones I'll admit that it does't make sense.  I'm not quite sure what he was thinking when he set the prices.

Mike

Are you buying for a large? If so, how did you choose a 16"? Would it still work high in the dome in a large at 16"? I will be using it high with a AR. Thanks.
    Go Hogs Go
  • BOWHUNR
    Yes for a large.  I have been using a 16" stone for over two years with no problems.  Look a couple pages back in this as I posted a picture of what a 16" looks like in a large.  He will make any size so if you're not comfortable with it get a 14-15".

Mike

Omaha, NE
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Long time lurker, first time poster...ordered a 16" for a large. 
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Do these really make sense in the egg?  The reason I ask is because the most common problem eggers seem to have with pizza is burning the bottom before the top get cooked.  

The big advantage of the steel over stone is the speed they can cook the bottom of a pizza once preheated. People using these steels in the home ovens position them high in the oven and fully preheat them to about 500+ degrees.  When they slide the pizza in, they switch the oven over to broil so the pizza top gets done before the bottom burns. 

We can get some pretty good heat from the top in the egg, but can we duplicate this technique?
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    @Cowdogs from what I understand is with steel it dissipates the heat quicker so it doesn't burn the bottom as quick with too much heat right away, it is more of a constant heat then a quick hot heat as you would get with ceramic. And with the egg indirect it turns into a convection oven.
  • YouEnjoyMyEgg
    YouEnjoyMyEgg Posts: 168
    edited April 2013
    For those of you that do not know, we are trying to get a group buy on "The Baking Steel." I do not have set prices yet on this, however, Andris the owner of the company should be getting me pricing tomorrow. So far we have about 10 interested, anyone else?
    Fletcher - has he mentioned anything about the version with the outer rim?  Or is that off the table now?

Edit: never mind I finally got through all the pages in this thread and saw your comment on this.  Thanks for all your work.

• WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Cowdogs, those kind of results have already been duplicated.  On page 3 of this thread Focker posted a simple pie with great results.  It think it took a few tries with different set ups, but he cranked that kind of pie shortly after getting the steel.  

And nobody will make you use it on the Egg if you don't want to. 
    ;)
  • porkman
    porkman Posts: 20
    Ordered a 15" for a large here. 
  • YouEnjoyMyEgg
    YouEnjoyMyEgg Posts: 168
    edited April 2013
    Aviator said:
    So what size are yall ordering for a large?
    Watching what I like to call The Focker Trials, it looks like there were challenges with the 16 in and platesetter set up.  When he moved to the 16 inch with a wok and sand, his results got way better.  16 inch limits how high into the dome you can go and still leave room for the heat to move into the dome and cook the top.  The wok set up (discussed in another thread) encourages the heat to roll up the bottom of the wok and into the dome (because of the shape) while offering some protection to the bottom.  It doesn't have go as high into the dome to cook the top.  I went 15 inch and will be getting a cheapie wok for pizza.  But I think with the wok set up, you'd be great either way.  Thank goodness Focker did all the work so I could coast!

Anyone thought about a 15.5" for the LBGE?  May be the sweet spot.

• BOWHUNR
    Although a 1/2" might make all the difference in some situations, I doubt it will in this one. :D

It will only cost you $76 bucks to find out.

Mike

Omaha, NE
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    I'm planning on using mine more as a 21 inch griddle than a pizza stone seen as pizzas are out for me for a long time.
    Lynnwood WA
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs, those kind of results have already been duplicated.  On page 3 of this thread Focker posted a simple pie with great results.  It think it took a few tries with different set ups, but he cranked that kind of pie shortly after getting the steel.  

And nobody will make you use it on the Egg if you don't want to. 
    ;)
    I have no doubt you can get a good pie with the steel from the egg if you are careful about not letting it get too hot.  My real question is, do you get a better pie from the steel than you are getting from your stone, and why.

What is the advantage of steel over stone?  Primarily it is the ability to store and release a greater amount of heat.  In a home residential oven these steel plates make sense.  The home oven only goes up to 500-550 degrees, so the steel's ability to store more heat is solving a real problem.  They are getting 3-4 minutes pizza cooks out of unmodified home ovens using steel, which they can't do using stones.

However on our eggs, even using pizza stones, most of are are using 2 stone setups to reduce the heat in the cooking stone.  Why then would you think that a steel, and it's ability to store more heat, is going to help you?

BTW, Focker's aged Cheesesteak using the steel look incredible. Now this would be hard to do on my stone. :)>-

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2013

@Cowdogs,

We've covered this multiple times.  Reminds me of the "All this bacon talk" thread.  Look on page 3 of this "The Baking Steel Group Buy" thread, I provided a link where Kenji Lopez explains the science behind steel and why it outperforms the Lodge CI pan, which he rated higher than a pizza stone.  If you search "Baking Steel" on this forum there are several recent threads, with additional links of Kenji Lopez doing a comparison of stone vs steel.  So far, my assessments have been on par with his.  It is all about oven/egg spring, building the foundation.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Cowdogs
    Focker said:

@Cowdogs,

We've covered this multiple times.  Reminds me of the "All this bacon talk" thread.  Look on page 3 of this "The Baking Steel Group Buy" thread, I provided a link where Kenji Lopez explains the science behind steel and why it outperforms the Lodge CI pan, which he rated higher than a pizza stone.  If you search "Baking Steel" on this forum there are several recent threads, with additional links of Kenji Lopez doing a comparison of stone vs steel.  So far, my assessments have been on par with his.  It is all about oven/egg spring, building the foundation.  

Focker,
    I've read that link, and I've read what seems like 100 pages of posts on PizzaMaking.com regarding the use of a steel.  I have followed your posts also.  Your posts have led me to order a wok to use in place of my bottom stone.  However, IMO no one has covered the "true advantages" of steel in an egg where we can get 700+ temps without even trying.  It's mostly about the advantages in 500 degree home ovens.

In Kenji baking steel review, he says the steel allows him to simplify the "skillet-broiler" method of cooking pizza in a home oven.  See  http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/09/how-to-make-great-neapolitan-pizza-at-home.html

My point is we are not using a home oven.  Eggs don't have the problem of not being able to get our cooking stone loaded with enough heat.  Eggs have the opposite problem if anything.  I know your're happy with you pizzas, and your steel.  I'm not saying they are not great.  I just have questions about their advantages oven stone in high heat ovens like the egg.
  • mo egg
    mo egg Posts: 143
    I'm seriously considering ordering one for my large. A couple posters on another forum suggests getting the 15" one. I have a 15" stone and it fits perfectly with enough space. With so many people saying they were going to order one, I wonder if they did. Seems like not many ordered it after saying they would. I wonder why. Thanks for setting this up. I will more than likely get it. Read a lot about it and it is highly recommended.
    I ordered the 15in.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited April 2013
    @Cowdogs

You make a very interesting point. Check out this article that Kenji just posted on Monday.

He uses the the KettlePizza with the baking steel to make the "ultimate home pizza hack" with a weber grill. He says that the baking steel is so much more conductive than a stone so it may burn the bottom before the top cooks on a grill. In an oven, this isn't a problem since most top out around 550. This allows you to get good crust with properly done toppings in an oven.That, along with the fact that it is nearly indestructible, makes it better than a stone in an oven. 

In a grill he puts the steel on top of the pizza cooking area with a stone as the bottom cooking surface. This allows the pizza to cook at the egg-like temps of 700+, which is what you find in a commercial pizza oven. 

I think that in the egg, it allows you to cook on the steel at lower temps(500+) and get similar crust results to to cooking at higher temps since it transfers heat so much better, just as you said.

If you do your pizzas at higher temps, it may be a wash between the 2. The only way to find out is to try it, I suppose.
  • Cowdogs
    edited April 2013

He uses the the KettlePizza with the baking steel to make the "ultimate home pizza hack" with a weber grill. He says that the baking steel is so much more conductive than a stone so it may burn the bottom before the top cooks on a grill. In an oven, this isn't a problem since most top out around 550. This allows you to get good crust with properly done toppings in an oven.That, along with the fact that it is nearly indestructible, makes it better than a stone in an oven. 

In a grill he puts the steel on top of the pizza cooking area with a stone as the bottom cooking surface. This allows the pizza to cook at the egg-like temps of 700+, which is what you find in a commercial pizza oven. 

I think that in the egg, it allows you to cook on the steel at lower temps(500+) and get similar crust results to to cooking at higher temps since it transfers heat so much better, just as you said.

If you do your pizzas at higher temps, it may be a wash between the 2. The only way to find out is to try it, I suppose.
    Good point.  Steel being able to cook at lower temps makes sense.  However consider that the people over at PizzaMaking.com who are really exploiting the potential of the baking steel are cooking Neapolitan pizza.  They consider any pizza that takes over 4 minutes to cook to be a failure, as they know they won't get the taste and texture they are after.  

I suspect that if we lower the egg temp, we will sacrifice the ability to get the top done quickly.  This is why the standard for high heat pizza cooks on the BGE involve cranking the heat way high, and blocking the cooking stone so it does not get too hot relative to the dome.
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    I'm looking for some flexibility for using one of these on my large and medium. I'm thinking 14". Anyone have any advice on using that size on a medium? Would it restrict airflow too much? I just ordered a Hi-Que fire grate for my medium, so that should help...thanks for any input.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I'm looking for some flexibility for using one of these on my large and medium. I'm thinking 14". Anyone have any advice on using that size on a medium? Would it restrict airflow too much? I just ordered a Hi-Que fire grate for my medium, so that should help...thanks for any input.
    I think that it may. In my medium I had a 12" BGE stone and though I could go up to 13". I have read that 14" stones could inhibit air flow. I would try to get it up above the felt line to prevent this.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    @scooter759 I ordered a 13" steel just for the flexibility between medium and large that you speak of.  I've used my 13" stone from CGS in both and have had no difficulty so that's what I based the measurement on.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    @Eggcelsior @Scottborsjr Thanks for the input. Between this thread and the "Wok and sand" thread, my pickled brain is overheating trying to sort through the possibilities.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Just pulled the trigger on a 21" model for the XL egg. 

That is on top of the Wok (plus tools) and Dutch Oven I bought for the egg this week. I think I'm going to get myself into trouble (haha)...

Thanks for getting this all set up, I know it's a lot of behind the scenes effort. 

Fingers crossed for some amazing pizzas. 

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Ordered a 20" for my XL

Thanks for setting up.  I think the XL guys are getting the best deal here.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I ordered a 16". Thanks fletcherfam

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I have the regular 14 x 18, but I couldnt help myself so I ordered the 16" round.
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    edited April 2013
    Greeno55 said:
    Just read some of the other threads about this. Has there been a concensus about the best size for a LBGE? Does 16" seem to be best?

I'm personally not an expert on this but I read a blog yesterday by a guy that seemed to me to have lots of knowledge about the proper setup for cooking bread in the LBGE. His claim was that the perfect size pizza stone, hearth stone or in this case baking steel was 14". He kept talking about airflow being extremely important when baking bread. There you go... That's all I have to offer on this topic since I am a novice bread baker that's just trying to learn that craft.