Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Placesetter

Options
Egg comes tomorrow and can not wait.  When do you use the placesetter and when do you not?  Is there a difference between what way is up?

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I used the PS for indirect cooks(low and slow or baking) and pizza cooks legs up. You can do pizza legs down but it will fry the gasket faster.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Remember this about the egg -- there are many ways to accomplish the same thing, and the use of the placesetter is a typical example.  The placesetter is used as a shield to protect the food from direct heat of the lump fire.  Others will use a ceramic stone on a grid to do the same thing.  I personnelly use the placesetter on 90 percent of my cooks.  This makes my egg more of an oven than a BBQ cooker.  Direct cooks(no placesetter) i use on steaks, chops, foods needing a sear.  It is a very important accessory - whichever way you go !
  • chris123stock
    Options
    You must be excited,  hope to see some great cooks.  No sleep tonight. :D
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Options
    As Naked Whiz reminds us on his awesome website, it's actually PLATE Setter, not "Place", while it is merely semantics, using the word properly, more accurately describes what it does. 

Now, having said that, by putting the plate in, think of it as cutting off the direct contact of the flame from the food. Basically, when you use the platesetter, you are converting your grill into a wood fired oven.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47