Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all got to celebrate those tasty food holidays last week, we sure enjoyed them! We are even more excited about the beginning of fall, for so many reasons, but mainly for experiencing the cool, crisp air while being outside cooking up the best recipes the season has to offer. We especially love these Beer Pork Tenderloin and Ground Beef Acorn Squash recipes! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Wild Boar 'Slayer' Chops (pics)

Spent some time in Austin this weekend and stopped by Salt and Time, a new butcher shop and salumeria.  Since I don't actually live in Austin, I didn't really intend to buy much...but that sort of went out the window. Ended up walking out with a small pork belly, some housemade wild boar sausage, a few slices of Coffee Lomo (coffee cured pork loin), and these two wild boar slayer chops. 

Full shot of the chops

a closer shot. They were really lean, but turned out super tender. 

Went with the reverse sear. Seasoned with salt and pepper, then indirect as 250 with pecan chunks until internal reached 110ish. Here they are after after the roast and ready for the sear.

90 seconds per side at 650ish

plated up with some mashed sweet potato and sauteed kale, as well as a link of the aformentioned sausage

Nice rare center

If you're in Austin, definitely check out Salt and Time. Fantastic selection of locally-sourced and humanely raised meat. Prices were good too...they even tossed in some curing salt to go with my pork belly.

Comments