Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grove Charcoal fans...

Options
Have you noticed any significant price increases at your lump charcoal sources? I know a retailer who is considering stocking it, but was quoted per bag for about what I was getting it for retail.
XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe

Comments

• Kruegs
    Kruegs Posts: 128
    Options

I'll be stopping in the next few days to buy a few bags and let you know.

XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    Found a 20 lb bag at a local hardware store -- 20.99. Last year the same size bag was 13.99. It's good stuff, but I'll find Weekend Warrior for close to 20.99.
  • Jellyworm
    Jellyworm Posts: 96
    Options
    Costco has 34# Stubs lump for $16.97. I am on my 4th bag as I really like it.
    Large BGE
    Houston, TX
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Can't find it around here.  Saw a trailer of it at Brat Days in Sheboygan last year and I wanted to steal it :) 

Does anyone find it anywhere except that area?

Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • troutgeek
    Options
    If you have access to a Piggly Wiggly, they'll either have it, or can order it for you.
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    Options
    Jellyworm, can you get the SKU from your Costco receipt?
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited April 2013
    Options

I'm getting 20# bags of Grove for $12.95.  About a year ago it was $12.50.  Can't complain.
    I haven't used any other lump for years...love this stuff...
    I get mine from a local restaurant supply store.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• troutgeek
    Options
    That's the thing.  It's fantastic stuff, and I was getting it for $13.99.  However, if it's significantly going up in price, well, I can get Weekend Warrior for close to those prices.
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    About 5 minutes ago I picked up a 20 lb bag of Grove at the Pig in Oostburg, WI (about 6 miles from Grove's home base in Cedar Grove, WI, $15.29.  The Ace Hardware store might be a buck or two less.  Buddy of mine's dad owns Grove Charcoal, here and there I will get a couple of free bags, usually torn bags sometimes partials, but hey free is free.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Jellyworm said:
    Costco has 34# Stubs lump for $16.97. I am on my 4th bag as I really like it.
    + 1

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Kruegs
    Kruegs Posts: 128
    Options
    Just bought a few bags at Piggly Wiggly in De Pere Wisconsin tonight for 12.95 per 20# bag.
    XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    lwrehm said:
      Buddy of mine's dad owns Grove Charcoal, here and there I will get a couple of free bags, usually torn bags sometimes partials, but hey free is free.
    Good friend to have!  I'd take torn bags all day long.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Grove Hardwood is available at Piggly Wiggly for $12.95 ..just grabbed 5 bags to stock up for winter

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    bcsnave said:
    Grove Hardwood is available at Piggly Wiggly for $12.95 ..just grabbed 5 bags to stock up for winter
    Where do you live? I'd like to know of a place with a 1 month winter. :)

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bcsnave
    Options
    Just started stocking up before they run out

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

Glenbeulah, WI

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options

I'm lucky, I don't have to "stock" up, Grove is available year round...even in winter when outside temp is hovering in the single digits.

• bcsnave
    Options
    I only live 26 miles away from Cedar Grove Wisconsin...so I should be able to get it..but the Pig doesn't carry it in winter.

Glenbeulah, WI