Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blues Hog Blues

Options
I bought a set of blues hog online. The rub, original, and Tennessee sauces. I haven't done any barbecue with them yet but I thought the flavors out of the containers was promising.

Tonight I hit some chops with the rub and then finished with some original glaze.

I was ..... Unmoved? Am I missing something? I feel like I would have rather used salt and pepper and bone sucking sauce or rays.

I'm a little bummed out. It was different and I wanted to like it.

Comments

• WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    I've liked the two sauces best mixed together...and I'll admit once I mix them in a bottle I add some dried minced peppers a friend gave me and stick it in the fridge.  I haven't eaten either by themselves for a very long time.  But I wouldn't want to be without my combo!
  • pswarren
    pswarren Posts: 98
    Options
    Not a huge fan of the rub, I like the sauces though. I really like the Tennessee and their mustard bbq sauce. The original is my third choice. The Tennessee is great on pulled pork.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I find the BH Blue almost too sweet, but SWMBO loves it. We both agree that it tastes better mixed with the Red. I too like the mustard sauce alot. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options

LOVE the tennessee red on pulled pork, and even better on pulled beef.  Good stuff!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    The original is a dipping sauce not a cooking sauce. Too sweet. I keep all 4 around there is actually another the Smokey mountain mop. A local meat market sells all 4 cheaper than I can get them on amazon.tennessee red and original 50/50 is more or a last minute grill sauce but no more than 10-15 minutes of heat.
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    For the original try it the last 10 minutes or so as a rib glaze before pulling the ribs off.  First time my wife and I tired this we both moaned at the first bite, that oh my God this is amazing moan.  Have made em that way ever since and everybody who tries them says best ribs ever.  My neighbor's family, owners of two eggs, also agrees Blues Hog and ribs.  The rub, just so so.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN