Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LBGE or XL

hondabbq
hondabbq Posts: 1,980
edited April 2013 in EggHead Forum

I have a LBGE currently and and have contemplated sizing up. Ill sell the LBGE, I bought it in the US and could sell it here for more than I paid. Take that money and upgrade to an XL, again bought in the US, for nothing.

Is there pros and cons of upgrading size? The obvious would be that I could cook more, is there any negative? Is there any change in procedures from one to the other ie cook times, lump usage, etc. Thanks guys and gals.

Comments

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited April 2013
    Different size eggs do cook differently. I would have to ask myself if I need an XL? Does the large to the job. I look at egg buying kinda like I look at computer shopping. You can buy the biggest, fatest PC out there but if your just checking email and facebook what is the point? If the large is working why upgrade? Plus they make some awesome tools for expansion now days. That will give your large more room and ways to cook.  

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    For me the large with the Ceramic Grill Works Swing Rack is plenty of space even when cooking for a party. If you want to Sell the large I would take the profits and buy another large and a small, even if you have to shell out a little more money. Now if you are doing lots of low and slows or having 30 people over for parties a lot, a XL might be worth it.

I'm sure some XL guys will chime in and would know about using it more than myself. I love the two egg combo though.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • hondabbq
    six_egg said:
    Different size eggs do cook differently. I would have to ask myself if I need an XL? Does the large to the job. I look at egg buying kinda like I look at computer shopping. You can buy the biggest, fatest PC out there but if your just checking email and facebook what is the point? If the large is working why upgrade? Plus they make some awesome tools for expansion now days. That will give your large more room and ways to cook.  

I dont want/need it for just the sake of having it. There is only my wife and myself in the house and the occasional friend get together. My main issue is getting items for the egg up here. I wanted the Pswoo but it was going to run me over $100 with shipping. the shipping was more than the woo!!!!  I hae been looking for just a grate, so I can rig up a raised grid. No luck to find that here. I guess I am getting frustrated witht he whole lack of upgradable parts to expand my grilling area.

I figured, if it wasnt going to cost me anything out of pocket to upgrade then do it.

• rustypotts
    rustypotts Posts: 265
    hondabbq........Can you get Weber grills up there?  I bought an aftermarket grid here for $10 or so.  It is for a smaller Weber and is 17 " in diameter.  It will actually fit on the fire ring of a large.  It is not stainless but for $10 I thought I would try it until I decided what I wanted.  I've been using it for 6 months now.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    I own an XL and have cooked on a Large at an Eggfest. However I have never compared them side-by-side. The obvious advantage of the XL is 78% more surface area. The disadvantages are that it probably takes a little longer to heat up and it's less mobile - although for most of us both the L and XL are immobile. As far as temperature control and cooking I can't say that they cook any differently.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Your situation is certainly somewhat unique in that you can actually make a profit on selling your large ;).  For most folks if they already have a large, I would suggest adding a small rather than "taking a hit" on the large and getting the XL.  If you can do it for nothing out of pocket...I say go for it.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    if it's just you and your wife I'd get a small or mini. keep the large for parties. my next will be a small.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    I've had both and prefer the XL. I had 8 butts on it Saturday, can do large pizzas, ribs seem to fit better for me on it and I like its 2 tier rack
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    henapple said:

if it's just you and your wife I'd get a small or mini. keep the large for parties. my next will be a small.

I have the Lbge/sbge combo and it rocks. It's the wife and I and a baby. Now the small and xl combo sound tempting, but I hardly run out of room with my Lbge and multiple level cooking.

If its a warantied egg, I'd never sell it, but your case is unique.

I had a certain amount of money set aside when I bought my large and got it cause it was biggest I could afford. Wouldn't mind if it was xl.

XLBGE 
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I have 2 XLs, mostly so I can do multi-temp cooks for a lot of people.  I haven't run into a situation yet where I needed more space on either XL.  The XL has a much bigger lower grate which allows you to do direct and indirct by just placing lump on one side.  I normally cook for just 2 people and only light enough lump to heat the food grate area being used for the cook.  I have compared my use to a friend with a large and we use almost the exact amount of lump when cooking for just 2 and I use less when I cook for 30.  I'm not sure how scientific the test was but we used one small bag of RO each, cooked the same meals at the same temp for close to the same time and we both got 3 meals out of each bag and both still had a little left.  I use less when cooking for big parties because I can get everything on at the same time.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• nashbama
    nashbama Posts: 102
    It's just my wife, my dog, and myself at the house. I compared the XL to the Large when I was egg shopping, it simply came down to practicality vs cost.

If we had a larger family, the XL would be useful on a regular basis. Since the majority of my cooks are just for us or a couple of dinner guests, there was no reason for me to spend the extra money when the Large would perform perfectly for my needs. I've never once wish I had more room for a cook.
  • hondabbq

Thanks guys,

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I have a large and have cooked for parties as big as 150 people.  I normally try to cook full meals on this unit without space problems.  Two of my buddies bought EXLG eggs and wish they had large units after cooking on mine.  And the EXLG uses more lump for an average cook.  I found a used medium for my daughter and it serves three adults without a hitch. 
  • _BR_
    _BR_ Posts: 42
    I just ordered an XL after reading on this forum for the last year, debate after debate.  In all honesty when I finally (last week) got to see this XL monster in person it really didn't seem all that big?? Being that I still have not had the opportunity to cook on an Egg, my guess is that I probably won't know any different.  BTW, I have been cooking on a tiny little WSJ LOL.
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    The XL is great because I usually cook for around 10-12 if the family is coming over. It easily handles whatever I have. That being said, I plan on adding a Medium in the near future for smaller cooks during the week when its just my family there. If you cook for quite a few people a good bit, I would encourage the XL.
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    edited April 2013
    I have a LBGE... And my problem is I love to cook in it. Most of the time it is just me and the wife so... Once in a while she says, no more Egging until we eat all of these left overs. I have a deal with my friends that I will cook butts and shoulders for them. All they have to do is buy all of the meat, rubs and buy me a 20lb bag of lump. It gives me a project and they love the results. I don't need a bigger Egg.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I bought the XL as my first Egg.  I didn't beat myself up over it.  Didn't calculate lump burn rates or calculate what I could get done on a large vs an XL.

I just said "F it", it's only a couple hundred bucks.  Who cares.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    HogHeaven said:
    I have a LBGE... And my problem is I love to cook in it. Most of the time it is just me and the wife so... Once in a while she says, no more Egging until we eat all of these left overs. I have a deal with my friends that I will cook butts and shoulders for them. All they have to do is buy all of the meat, rubs and buy me a 20lb bag of lump. It gives me a project and they love the results. I don't need a bigger Egg.
    This is a pretty good deal, but I think your friends are getting the better side of it.  You should ask them to throw in some beer too, to <cough> keep you calm while you're cooking, or something.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    edited April 2013

"it's only a couple hundred bucks"

In this case it is free.  So even though he missed the point on the money calculation from the original post, I have to think that @YEMTrey has made the most poignant post of all.

@hondabbq, most of this discussion is irrelevant (including my earlier post - so I'm not pointing fingers here).  Your original logic is sound.  Just do it.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321

I was not going to jump in, because there is so much personal oppinion involved in what size to buy, but a similar question was PMed to me, so I'll just add my two cents here by cut and paste.

I have an XL, L, and M. I think a lot of people disregard the XL for completely false reasons. I use it more often than the others. You get twice the grid space of a L which makes it easy to do huge cooks, but also lots of move-around room for average cooks. I frequently just load some lump in the back for a small cook, or if I want to create direct and indirect zones in the same cook. It heats up just fine, and is the only one of my Eggs where I kept the factory fire grate. There are only two reasons not to have an XL; money and weight. If those don't matter, I would reccomend the biggest you can get.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    An XL and a Small would definitely be an eggcelent combination!

I have an XL alone, never needed more or less space!

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    edited April 2013
    HogHeaven said:
    This is a pretty good deal, but I think your friends are getting the better side of it.  You should ask them to throw in some beer too, to <cough> keep you calm while you're cooking, or something.  

Hmmm... Sounds good to me. Maybe I ought to issue a new pricelist for my services. But I've got the low and slow overnight cooks nailed! Before I did my first butt cook I went to the nekkidwhiz.com and just stumbled onto an article done by a gentleman by the name of Elder Ward. It is detailed, detailed, detailed... To the point of removing your fire box and cleaning out the ash that drops out from the little air wholes of your fire box, that might restrict air flow. He tells you to select every single piece of lump you fill the fire box with and do it one piece at a time. That is the most helpful Egging article I have ever read! Bar none... Anyway... Now days I start a butt cook about 10:00pm. It takes about an hour to be real comfortable that my temp is right where I want it and stable. I go to bed and I don't worry about it. I wake up in the morning, get my cup of joe and head out to the Egg. It usually hasn't changed more than 10 degrees one way of the other. I make a few adjustments and go read my paper. My new thing is to do the entire cook without opening the lid. I know what is going on inside because I have temp readings on both the meat and the cooking temp at the cooking level, why peek? My last three butt cooks I have gone 14 to 17 hours without opening the lid until my meat temp thermometer told me the meat was at 203 degrees. By setting my lump up right and making sure there is unrestricted airflow at the end of a 16 hour cook... I usually still have 25% of my lump left for my next cook. I love to see the look on their face when I tell them I haven't opened the lid for 16 hours. They think i'm lying to them. Then when my meat temp gets to 203 degrees, I love seeing the expression on their face when they see these 2 hunks of meat that look like meteorites that feel from the heavens. It's a beautiful thing.
  • Obviously late on this thread.... and a lot of good advice here. At the end of the day... it's up to you. I'll wrap this up with two thoughts... when I was in your place making the same decision I was told..."most people that buy the large, come back in and tell me they wished they had bought the XL." So.... I bought the XL. Never looked back.

I now have a large as well....and I'm looking forward to owning the XXL!!!

(yep....I cook for masses!)

Whatever choice you make/made, you won't go wrong!

BOOMER!
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491

I was not going to jump in, because there is so much personal oppinion involved in what size to buy, but a similar question was PMed to me, so I'll just add my two cents here by cut and paste.

I have an XL, L, and M. I think a lot of people disregard the XL for completely false reasons. I use it more often than the others. You get twice the grid space of a L which makes it easy to do huge cooks, but also lots of move-around room for average cooks. I frequently just load some lump in the back for a small cook, or if I want to create direct and indirect zones in the same cook. It heats up just fine, and is the only one of my Eggs where I kept the factory fire grate. There are only two reasons not to have an XL; money and weight. If those don't matter, I would reccomend the biggest you can get.

x2  I have smaller eggs, and I use them, but most often I fire up the XL.  I like building a smaller fire off to one side, and cooking on it down closer to the coals (using woo ring).  If some items get done before others, I just move them to cool side where they get very little heat.  All that room is convenient.