Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to the egg and want to cook pork

mactoolman
mactoolman Posts: 11
Hi I am new to the egg world and I'm looking for help. This weekend I'd like to cook some kind of pork on my bge and I don't know where to start. If you could help me with some suggestions it would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited April 2013
    Go pulled pork so you can use leftover for pizza, tacos, etc. plus it is a simple cook. Do you have a temperature gauge?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited April 2013
    Two ways; TURBO BUTTS · Hot'n fast, 350 for 3 hours to internal to around 160, then wrap in foil and 2 more hours to 195/200 and then let it rest for an hour or so wrapped in towels in a ice chest. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun! · Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so (or a couple ) . Note: The butt box is not required. ...............................…........................... Baby Backs. Did baby backs for lunch a while back. (Sorry but I can't remember who I got this from.) 350 indirect 1hr 40 min. Pull membrane , rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. I opened 15 min early and sauced my half rack. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. Note: with or w/o mustard works on both ( I use it)... XXXXX Note: I use Bad Byron's Butt Rub on both.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• For a beginner, I would suggest a pork butt for pulled pork.  It's very tasty and the cook is easy and forgiving.
    Flint, Michigan
  • So I could actually cook pulled pork is 6 hours? Once again don't mind me I'm new to the egg thing and I also don't eat much pork but I hear its a must on the egg
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited April 2013
    Don't tell anyone as I am from Texas. But I don't do brisket after discovering butts. Those guys on the East coast have found something. Butts are soooooo much easier to cook and very good for days after in lots of things.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited April 2013
    Mickey said:
    Don't tell anyone that I am from Texas. 
    We don't.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Last night, I cooked Mongolian Pork Chops and they were outstanding.  I got the link from the forum.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited April 2013

One of the great reasons everyone likes pork on the egg so well is most of the time pork chops and tenderloins get overcooked and dry out. The thermal properties of the egg allow pork (and chicken) to retain its moisture as long as you are not opening the dome all the time. 

Everyone here also cooks to temperature not time so a good instant read thermometer is essential to really take advantage of your egg. Almost everyone on the forum uses a Thermapen because they are one of the best and probably the fastest. They are pretty pricey for a thermometer but so was your egg, trust me and the others when we say it is money well spent. 

While I do suggest you do a pork butt soon, if you would like to start out with a cook that takes under a hour and is very good. Try @smokesniffer 's Pork Tenderloin with Black Berry Sauce... pics I have made it a few times and it is always a hit! 

If you have a weekend afternoon to be with your egg then do a pork butt, you can cook it low or fast and it all turns out great. Just start checking it anywhere from 190-210° and when the probe of your thermometer goes in and out like butter it is ready. Most of mine I pull around 200° 
    Here is a 7 lb bone in one I did on my small egg for 7 hours at 275° a couple weeks ago over at a friends, no foil, just stick it on the egg and don't open the dome until 190° to start checking it lots of ways to cook on the egg, just pick one that sounds good to you and go with it. 

Oh and one more note: For whatever reason most people on here mainly look at the Egghead Forum so when you post things in Pork like this not as many people will see it right away. So if you want lots of people to see it post it on the egghead forum not in the specific category. It doesn't make sense and makes it really hard to search for things but this is the way it was long before I got here and the way things go.. 

I just post to Egghead forum and off-topic, but I also click on recent discussions and go through the other forums. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    edited April 2013
    So I could actually cook pulled pork is 6 hours? Once again don't mind me I'm new to the egg thing and I also don't eat much pork but I hear its a must on the egg

I used Mickey's method this past weekend and was pulling 15lbs of pork off right at 4-1/2hrs. Wrapped them and then put them in an ice chest until that evening. Turned out perfect.

As suggested, you need a good thermometer. I have a Maverick and a Thermapen.

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Welcome aboard. I see the above post have you covered. If that is your set up in the Avaitor it looks really nice.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    if you want to do a low and slow pork butt use the elder ward method your first time out, you will learn alot with that cook, the only change i would make to his method is 250 dome instead of what he has writtten there, oh and that slaw has 2 cups of sugar in it, that must be a southern thing
    :)) the short version of the elder ward method is 250 inderect til done but i like his writeup better
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Something I did early on with the Egg was pork steaks, so-called. Very simple, almost impossible to ruin. They are just slices of pork but, and usually quite inexpensive. I like them about 3/4" thick.
    Marinade them for about 8 hours. I like teriyaki, but Italian dressing, olive oil & lemon juice & pepper, whatever, all work.

Do them direct, either at the lower grill level, or the felt level. Felt level works much better. Get the dome temp up to around 400F. 50 degrees either way doesn't matter much. Lay the "steaks" on the grill, and shut the dome for about 10 min. Working quickly, open, flip, and move around if there are ones over hot spots. Repeat. Check the meat temperature. I like about 160-165. Flip again if lower, and/or the outside is not browned up enough. If not browned enough, open the bottom vent wider, and give them another 5 min.

Should be tasty and moist.
  • Ok I decided i'm doing a pork butt tomorrow should i cook on indirect heat?
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Indirect for sure.  Talked my boss into an Egg, first cook was a butt.  He complained that half of it was burned crisp.  Found out he cooked it direct.  Do it Platesetter legs up, raised drip pan, grid, pork.
  • Indirect for sure. Low and slow or turbo butt are very easy to get incredible results first time out. The first thing I did on the Egg was a pork butt with no seasoning or anything because I was really expecting my first experiment to not be very good. It was absolutely awesome! Welcome aboard!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Why do you put the pork in a cooler after you are done cooking it?
    If the cook is ready before dinner time. You can wrap in foil, towels, and put it in a cooler. It will stay very hot for a long time this way. 
    I've seen a lot of debate on how necessary it is. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!