Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Porcine Pictoral....or "Chubby Chops".

Options
Chubby
Chubby Posts: 2,955
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
RagingRibChops.jpg
<p />This title..."Chubby Chops"(my wife's comment) is somehow unsettling,now that I see it on paper!![p]Aaaannnnnyway.....[p]Pictured above are two, beautiful 1.5" "Berkshire" Rib Chops! [p]Brine:[p]1/2 cup Dark Brown Surgar
1/3 cup Raging River
1 1/2 cups hot water
1/4 cup Knob Creek
1 tsp Oriental Mustard powder[p]*stir well to disolve..add 1 cup ice to cool and add Chops*.[p]Here they are after a 2 hours, brined, rinsed. and dried.[p]Ready to go!![p]
RagingRibChops1.jpg[p]Liberally dust with more Raging River! (from the home office in Failfax, Va.)[p]Sear 90 seconds @ 600, rested 15 minutes, finished @ 450 4 minutes a side.[p]RagingRibChops4.jpg[p]Pulled @ 138 degrees., rested 5 minutes...150 finished temp.[p]RagingRibChops6.jpg[p][p][p]

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!

Comments

• BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    Chubby,[p]Do you reuse your brine? If so, do you boil it before putting it away?
  • Greendriver
    Options
    Those are pretty...I bet Chritopher loves you.
  • Chubby
    Options
    BabyBoomBBQ,[p]Sometimes I do reuse ....(boil hard for 3-4 minutes and refrigerate).[p]Sometimes...I boil... add some cream, or butter, or more Knob Creek and reduce for a pan sauce.[p]Small amounts I usually pitch.[p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    Chubby,
    i would have no problems measuring out the knobb creek for the brine, but using 1/3 cup raging river would break my heart for 2 chops, those do look good though.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Chubby,
    There you go using wierd words again. You had to look that one up, didn't you?... "Porcine". The definition I saw was
    "resembling a swine or pig...a bald, porcine old man".[p]This is this some sort of subliminal character assasination aimed at me, isn't it? You dog, you![p]Great looking chops, BTW![p]Lawn "plump and shiny" Ranger

• Chubby
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]LOL!![p]sometimes...we do what we have to do!![p]Evans[p]
  • Chubby
    Options
    Buddy Lawn:[p]Not much get by you...does it!![p]
    Evans

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Chubby,
    I'm actually fear that I'm beginning to understand the way you think, and I'm sure that there's a law against it in most states.[p]Mike[p]

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Chubby,
    Looks great Chubby. Got chops for us tonight.
    It can quit raining any day now.[p]Mike
    carshower.bmp

• Chubby
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,[p]If you can't do the time...don't do the crime!![p]Evans
  • Chubby
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]I think Ann and I are a go for Oklahoma!![p]Evans[p]PS...take that rain while you can get it!!

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    beans2.jpg
    <p />Chubby,
    Great, I can't wait to see you guys. Are you cooking, I have my menu set.
    Remember I do own a car wash. 5 days of rain really doesn't help the bottom line. Maybe a good weekend.
    It would be good for all of us to get away for awhile.[p]Mike
    I feel OK needs magical fruit.

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Chubby,[p]Sooooooo . . . . how were they?? Could you notice an interior flavor with only 2 hours of brining? I've only brined once and it was chicken breasts and I did it WAY too long - just wondering if this 2 hour time did you right.[p]And, come on, I mean, these pics are amazing as usual, but where's that macro cross-sectional shot with juices going everywhere??[p]Great job (again) and cheers,[p]TRex
  • Chubby
    Options
    Master Jason:,[p]I now see Grasshopper....you have become too dependant on the "Macro".[p]Put down the mouse....Close your eyes!![p]Now...see the Chop's grain...be the grain.[p]Breathe in....Let the aroma be in your soul.[p]Then, and only then...can you become "One with the Chop"!!
  • billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    call it whatever you want, looks terrific.