Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Time to go HOT!!

Doing my first steak on the egg tonight.  I am going to try the TREX method.  My steak is a little more than an inch thick so I am guessing just ease back on the cooking time a bit?
Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
·

Comments

• The guest of honor.
    image.jpg 1.3M
    ·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,524
    I would do a low and all out sear, 90 min each side, reat and enjoy. Turn no more than once.

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,758
    Do you have an instant read thermometer?  Time varies greatly depending on steak thickness, grid distance from lump, etc.  Cook it to an internal temp of 125 for medium rare.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,420
    edited April 2013
    Aviator said:
    I would do a low and all out sear, 90 min each side, reat and enjoy. Turn no more than once.

You might want to re-read that.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Just got done with the sear. Waiting for the egg to cool back down to 400. I like mine Medium Well. 90 minutes seems a bit excessive for steak. :P
    image.jpg 1.7M
    ·
  • Quick question...Can I use hickory in place of mesquite? (hopefully someone can answer in about a minute.
    ·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,907
    You sure can!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • Solson005 said:
    You sure can!

Thank you!! I just put the steak on for the final cook.
    ·
  • KoskoKosko Posts: 535
    edited April 2013
    Mesquite for steaks!! But not much. You don't want too much smoke.
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
    ·
  • Steak is perfect with the exception of too much smokey flavor. Next time no smoke.
    image.jpg 1.4M
    ·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,907
    Looks awesome! Nicely done =D>
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,298
    Beautiful! For me, the lump is usually enough for smoke. Maybe add just a few oak chips for an oaked red wine.
    ·
  • I like a small handfull of Jack Daniels oak barrel chips for steak.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
    ·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,280

Beautiful! For me, the lump is usually enough for smoke. Maybe add just a few oak chips for an oaked red wine.

I like where your heads at
    ·
  • HogHeavenHogHeaven Posts: 264
    Steak looks very nice... Good job! Someday you may want to try the reverse sear. It is much easier and much less chance of a negative out come.
    ·
  • dougbackerdougbacker Posts: 277
    Nice job...looks good
    :-j

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,261
    No smoke for me on steaks. Your steak looks great!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • Nice lookin' steak!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,524

Yup, 90 secs. Sorry guys.  90 MIN will end up like Mickey's wings. :)

My bad.

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • EddieK76EddieK76 Posts: 415
    Looks great...

I should not look at steak posts at breakfast time!
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,577
    Very nice!  Looks perfect from here. I prefer oak with beef.  I go pretty heavy with it, but I likes it smokey. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • dpittarddpittard Posts: 126
    Did you do anything more than salt and pepper?  This looks so incredibly delicious!

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
    ·
  • dpittard said:
    Did you do anything more than salt and pepper?  This looks so incredibly delicious!
    I followed the naked whiz's TRex method to a T (no pun intended)  I rubbed it down with a little olive oil, and then salt and pepper.  Had it not been for just a little too much smoke flavor it would have been the best steak I have ever eaten!
    ·
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,431
    Good looking steak.  And I completely agree with you.  The lump is enough.  No additional smoke needed for steaks or for my burgers for that matter.
    XL and a Mini Max Egg in Cincinnati, Ohio
    ·