Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3rd cook went for the reverse sear

So three cooks in I decided to try the reverse sear with pecan wood chips. (I was a bit nervous about opening her up for the sear, didn't want to lose an eyebrow)

Wife and I both liked it a lot. I used strips because that's what she prefers but while we were eating I was selling her on the benefits of the ribeye for this type of cook.

I really liked the wall to wall pink that I got, I didn't think to snap a pic until I was to the last bite.

Props to you all on here as a first timer the discussions about this technique were enough to get me through the cook with no problems. I look forward to learning more as I go!

Comments

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Looks great! Reverse sear is one of my faves for steak and burgers when I want to add some smoke.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    That turned out well.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    Love the reverse sear method.. The best burgers and steaks (including tri tip) I've done I think.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Very nice cook. Love your description "wall to wall pink". I will be stealing the saying.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Looks great. I love reverse method too,

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I still need to try the reverse sear, I have always been a 2:00 a side guy.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited April 2013
    Fantastic! Now you know the ways of the egg samurai, I see.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Looks great. Nicely done!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    I reverse sear all my burgers now, SWMBO likes them cooked that way.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• Looks like we both had delicious steak tonight. It was my 4th cook on the egg and I used the trex method that I learned from the forum. I am glad that they both turned out!!
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    If you want ALL the facts about the reverse sear go to Amazingribs.com and look for the page he has created just about the reverse sear... He even gets scientific about it. I learn more about BBQ, grilling, smoking and cooking in general from that website.
  • Last night I cooked Ribeyes, reverse sear.  I also love the 'wall to wall' pink.  This is a significant departure over the way I used to cook steaks.  Now I choose thicker cuts, cook them indirect (PS and Woo3  w/PS legs up) until just before the rare temperature, and take them off the grill.  Then I remove the PS, and place the grill on the fire ring.  I open 'er up till the temp is about 600, and put the steaks back on the grill.  Testing and flipping as required, still the most excellent steaks I have ever made before the BGE.  I do need to buy one more accessory however...I have been using ordinary kitchen tongs to flip the steaks.  It is ~real~ hot down there on the fire ring so I need a longer reach set of tongs!

Dave
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Been a reverse sear fan for some time, I think one real advantage is the ease of getting the steaks/chops to the correct internal before the sear. Cooking at lower temps slows the cook process down so it is less likely to runaway resulting in an overdone steak/chop. The other advantage is for those who like theirs well done, (SWMBO in my home) the steak/chop can go on for a longer indirect cook, easy to get the internal up to well done without turning the outside into asphalt. 

@becox87 - nice cook, very well done (the cook not the steak).

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • HogHeaven
    edited April 2013
    Last night I cooked Ribeyes, reverse sear.  I also love the 'wall to wall' pink.  This is a significant departure over the way I used to cook steaks.  Now I choose thicker cuts, cook them indirect (PS and Woo3  w/PS legs up) until just before the rare temperature, and take them off the grill.  Then I remove the PS, and place the grill on the fire ring.  I open 'er up till the temp is about 600, and put the steaks back on the grill.  Testing and flipping as required, still the most excellent steaks I have ever made before the BGE.  I do need to buy one more accessory however...I have been using ordinary kitchen tongs to flip the steaks.  It is ~real~ hot down there on the fire ring so I need a longer reach set of tongs!

Dave

Dave... May i suggest a little different setup that might make your cook easier. My setup is this for steaks. I want my lump 2 inches below the top of the fire box. I light my fire and then I put my GX grill extender right on top of my fire box. Your fire ring is 1/2" wider than your fire box is to accommodate the GX... It fits there like a glove. Then I put on my 18" regular grid on top of the fire ring, no platesetter needed for this cook. When my fire is ready I put the meat on the big grid that's on top of the fire ring and stabilize the cooking temp at 300 degrees, which is different than the dome temp. You are going to bake the steaks and they will brown very little at that temp being so far from the direct heat. I don't open the lid until the meat gets to 90 degrees. Then I open the lid and turn the meat over. I close the lid and let it cook to 110/115 degrees and then I open the lid and take the meat off and put it on a plate. I open the bottom vent wide open and I take off the grid that is on the fire ring so I can put the meat all the way down on the GX grid that is 2" from the red hot coal. You want to leave the lid open for the rest of the cook. While the fire is getting hotter I take that time to blot my meat with a paper towel to remove any water that has rindered during the first part of the cook. We want to sear the meat not steam it. Then I paint the side of the meat that I am going to sear first with beef love... That's fat trimmings from other cooks that I have done that I've rendered down to a liquid form, you can use olive oil or peanut oil. I return the meat to the grid and let it sear for 3 or 4 minutes and before I turn it I paint the side that's up with more beef love. Then after I turn the meat I get my handy dandy thermapen and check the meat temp again. When it reaches 135 I pull it. What you will get with this method is a nice crust that is a dark brown mahogany color and the interior will be pink, bumper to bumper... Just like you get at those real expensive Steakhouse's. That is a lot easier than taking out your plate setter and when your meat is only 2" from the red hot coal your fire doesn't have to be as hot to sear your meat as it does when your meat is at the top of your fire ring. Just a suggestion... We all have our own ways of doing things. By the way the GX only costs $25.
  • HogHeaven said:

Dave... May i suggest a little different setup that might make your cook easier. My setup is this for steaks.
    Thanks!  I have printed your instructions and will try that next time, and I will get the GX, I sure appreciate the advice.

Dave
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • HogHeaven
    We are here to help each other my friend... Dine well!