Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Redneck Ceramic Cap Retainer Mod

caliking
caliking Posts: 18,704
It has bothered me for some time that the design of the BGE allows for the ceramic cap to fall crashing to the ground if one is not careful when opening the egg. If I'm not the doofus to forget to hold the cap in place when opening the egg, I'm sure one of my guests would be.

While at Costco this past weekend, I noticed their kamado cooker (the Vision?) has clips on the inner side of the cap to keep it in place. After pondering for the last few days, it dawned on me. I started with that great tool and the basis for many bbq mods - the lowly wire hanger which my dry cleaner puts my shirts on. 

Three bends later, this is what I had:

Works great as is. Will make one for the small egg as well. Next step is to get some steel rod from HD and put my formidable bending skills to use :) 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    I put a strip of felt gasket material around the top of the dome to act as a bushing for the top cap.Works great on cap and daisy wheel. 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    piney said:

I put a strip of felt gasket material around the top of the dome to act as a bushing for the top cap.Works great on cap and daisy wheel. 

+1. Felt gasket has mine snug as can be. Line the "chimney" of the egg and the DFMT and ceramic lid aren't going anywhere
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    After I busted my second I now have no problem remembering.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    The piece of gasket around the top has been on my to-do list. Figured I would try that when I needed to order a new gasket, which shouldn't be long since my small came with the older dark gasket. Hangers I have plenty of!

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Another great homemade egg related device! 

After I busted my first one I quit using it 99% of the time. It got stuck in the BGE cover and smashed all over my paver floor of my pergola. I emailed BGE about it and they sent me a new on and some extra gasket material to seal it up. But I usually just use the cast iron one and put the cover on for bad weather. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    The cap won't fall off the xl :ar!
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I love it
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    They will probably use a mini base as the cap on the Xxl.
    Lynnwood WA
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited April 2013
    <P>Calli, the felt works. No more falling off. Infact its tight. </P>
    <P>We dont need no Costco Vision clips. Aient nobody got time for that! :D </P>

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    double said:
    They will probably use a mini base as the cap on the Xxl.
    I hear it comes standard with mangrates..
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    caliking said:
    It has bothered me for some time that the design of the BGE allows for the ceramic cap to fall crashing to the ground if one is not careful when opening the egg. If I'm not the doofus to forget to hold the cap in place when opening the egg, I'm sure one of my guests would be.

While at Costco this past weekend, I noticed their kamado cooker (the Vision?) has clips on the inner side of the cap to keep it in place. After pondering for the last few days, it dawned on me. I started with that great tool and the basis for many bbq mods - the lowly wire hanger which my dry cleaner puts my shirts on. 

Works great as is. Will make one for the small egg as well. Next step is to get some steel rod from HD and put my formidable bending skills to use :) 
    Being from South MS, land of many rednecks, I can appreciate this.. Well done sir.

=D>
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Two words

Jeen... yus
  • Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    I have never noticed the cap to want to fall off my egg and I opened it up with force without problem. Maybe I should watch it, but again I guess I don't open my egg that much with the cap on since that means I am not cooking lol.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,617
    Redneck ingenuity at its finest!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• caliking said:

The piece of gasket around the top has been on my to-do list. Figured I would try that when I needed to order a new gasket, which shouldn't be long since my small came with the older dark gasket. Hangers I have plenty of!

Pretty sure I have some gasket odds and ends I can send. Pm me your address And i'll send you what i have.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    That would be cool, CT. Don't look too hard for them though. I'll PM my address. Better yet, bring it with you to H-town and we can go rustle up some dim-sum or Sichuan food. 

Yet another fine example of egghead generosity. Thanks!

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    So I think I jinxed myself when I said I don't use the ceramic cap. I did pizza on my small egg and the fire did not want to die. I had it over at a friends and wanted to make sure it was out before I left. I don't know if the draft door wasn't put on exactly right when I swapped it back from using my digiQ or what. It was too hot to try and mess with in the dark. I will keep my cap handy to snuff out the fire faster from now on. Never had that happen or didnt notice it.. :-?
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Have never used that cap on either egg
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    The cap won't fall off the xl :ar!

True dat.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    As fore mentioned, being from MS can always appriciate some redneck engineering!

I have a fairly old habit of sitting it down when I open it. Usual next step is to light it, so I just take it off first. My father in law jerked opened my small this weekend and I lunged grabbing the cap.

XLBGE 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited April 2013
    Speaking of redneck mods, just drove by this little beauty in Reno and had to share. Gotta love reno.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • shtgunal3
    Used to be a late 70's Trans Am running around Cullman, AL that was on a 4x4 chassis like that. Someone else had an Econoline van made that way. Something we are not short on is rednecks. I've been called that all my life. B-)

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Hey guys, I just did a gasket replacement on my large and have a little left over. How far down on the chimney should I place that gasket? Great idea and thanks for the tip.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • pswarren
    pswarren Posts: 98
    I used some left over high temp basket on our last egg. It held the top on tight, actually needed two hands and a twisting motion to remove.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    or you could stay sober while egging... yeah right. keep the coat hanger and then move to middle TN... you'll fit in.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    I just take the cap off before I open the lid.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • caliking
    henapple said:
    or you could stay sober while egging... yeah right. keep the coat hanger and then move to middle TN... you'll fit in.
    May not be too long... my neighbor gives me funny looks. Probably because I  bring property values down. Thank goodness for fences! Wait until I find a goat to bring home and butcher...

• caliking
    MCN: you need a wire hanger my friend :)

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,164
    caliking said:

Son, that goes beyond "red neck"!! I love your ingenuity, though!! Funny stuff!! :))
  • shtgunal3
    @caliking stay out of my pasture