Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"The Baking Steel" Group Buy

Comments

• brycos
    brycos Posts: 137
    Whoa! sorry about your back!  I hope I didn't cause you to get up unnecessarily!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    No worries man, it gave me something to do.  Going crazy being lazy.   :))
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• brass
    brass Posts: 6
    i would like to get on it, 1 for the large
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    The latest and greatest: Talked to Andris, he will have the coupon code for us and prices tomorrow. The code will be good for about one week. I will post the final deadline and all info tomorrow.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Thanks again for running this. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    The latest and greatest: Talked to Andris, he will have the coupon code for us and prices tomorrow. The code will be good for about one week. I will post the final deadline and all info tomorrow.
    Thanks for working on this. Andris is about to see what a feeding frenzy is like!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Focker said:
    This is the current setup.  Spider inverted, 16" wok, sand, grid, copper tees, steel.
    I apologize if you answered this before, but do you have the 1/4" or 1/2" thick steel. It looks like its 1/4"?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Focker

1/4", 16" diameter.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    I wonder if the Mangrates guy has been following this thread.  THIS is how you sell things to this forum.
    Mamaroneck
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    I wonder if the Mangrates guy has been following this thread.  THIS is how you sell things to this forum.

It helps that this company has some credibility and high praise from respected people.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Henapple needs to send some mangrates to Serious Eats!
  • Mama Roneck
    Henapple needs to send some mangrates to Serious Eats!
    Ha Ha - absolutely!  Mangrates needs to get some science behind their marketing!
    Mamaroneck
  • Focker

And to clarify, I have nothing to do with Andris or The Baking Steel.  My opinions are unbiased and based on what I assess. 

I was the lucky test dummy who was gifted a valuable tool for the arsenal.  One steel replaces a ceramic stone and Griswold griddle. 

This all started on an older thread about the standard Baking Steel.  A few phone calls and emails later from an intrigued egger, and a round steel landed in Iowa.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Mama Roneck
    "...I have nothing to do with Andris or The Baking Steel." 

Never had any doubt about that!  We appreciate that you're acting as the forum's guinea pig!
    Mamaroneck
  • Arbucklej
    Arbucklej Posts: 90
    count me in might pick up one for my dad to. Thanks
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Just read some of the other threads about this. Has there been a concensus about the best size for a LBGE? Does 16" seem to be best?
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • RV10Flyer
    RV10Flyer Posts: 140
    I'm in for one for the XL.  Thanks for running this group buy.

North Texas

XL and Small BGE

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Focker said:
    This is the current setup.  Spider inverted, 16" wok, sand, grid, copper tees, steel.
    Raised, indirect above the felt.  That's why a 16" will work on a LBGE, without restricting airflow correct? (PS - pending SWMBO approval, I'm in too).  I need a LAR.

I'm just a poor boy, I roll with the 3" bolts on my grid to raise it.  I've used a 15" pizza stone  on my un-raised grid (poor boy's platesetter) and that restricts airflow.  If I raised it I bet it's OK.  Back to home depot for longer bolts!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Any update on when pricing will be available?

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• fletcherfam
    I will be creating a new thread here shortly with all of the details. I will also post them here.
  • fletcherfam
    Ok I talked to Andris and he has finalized the pricing, coupon code, and details of the group buy so here we go.

Who: Anyone who owns a Big Green Egg
    What: "The Baking Steel" steel designed to make really good pizzas either in the oven or in the egg
    Where: www.bakingsteel.com
    Why: Because we like great quality food!
    When: Deadline for ordering is this Sunday 4/21/13 end of day!!!!!
    How: Coupon code "biggreenegg"

Ok, now to the nitty gritty: (PLEASE READ THIS!!!!)

1. $15 custom order fee is waved. (Yes round is custom from what he designed the Steel to be).

2. Price of each 1/4" round Baking Steel is $76 with free shipping to anywhere in the US. The size of the Baking Steel will NOT affect price. So one for an XL will cost the same as one for a mini, this is the only clean way Andris could do this order.

3. You may order as many as you like, please just specify the sizes (see #4 below).

4. Specifiy in the "Order Notes" what size you want. For Example "15 Inch Diameter." or "10 Inch Diameter."

5. Only MA has sales tax, if you live there, sorry you will need to pay it.

6. If you are wanting 1/2" Baking Steel please PM for more information, Andris is going to a case by case basis on these.

7. Production dates will be from Monday 4/22 thru Saturday 5/4.

8. Andris will ship items out as he is able within the production window.

9. All other items he sells will be normal priced.

10. He at this time is not able to produce a Baking Steel with a rim, he is working on this and may have something in a couple of months.

11. No really you have to order by this Sunday if you want in on this. The code will not work at 12:01AM on Monday 4/22/13.

12. For you Canadians, Andris will need to charge a flat $15 shipping fee. Apparently there is some custom charge as well but it varies I guess??

13. If you want to forward this information to a fellow BGE friend by all means please do so, just don't send it to CNN, ESPN, Maxim or post it on your blog about cats.

If you have concerns/questions please ask.

Disclaimer:
    (I am not pretending to be a guru ordering agent and I am not going to pretend this system is perfect, I just like supporting good quality products and people. If you don't want to order, you are not hurting my feelings, just don't rant and rave about why please.)
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    are 10 and 15 inch the only ones he's doing or will he do a 21 inch at that price ?
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • fletcherfam
    @bigphil, he will do a 21 inch at that price.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    @bigphil, he will do a 21 inch at that price.
    awesome 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Arbucklej
    Arbucklej Posts: 90
    Anyone decided on what size will fit each egg. Thinking about a medium and a large steel.
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    So, no matter if you buy for a small or for a XL, it is the same price. It is $3.00 off his regular price on his site which he gives free shipping also. Decent deal if you got a XL. Interesting.
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    edited April 2013
    The regular price isn't round. Custom made for a round
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    Yeah, I just need to know the best size for a Large BGE.
  • jimreed777
    jimreed777 Posts: 324
    ymmv - but I ordered a 14 for medium and 16 for large. Those are the stones I use high up in the dome to cook my pies.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @chrisnjenn, how does that make @canegger a troll? He is stating fact. The baking steel is made to fit a standard oven(square with rounded corners) and this guy is custom making rounds for eggers. He is waving the normal fee plus 3 dollars in what amounts to nearly 20% off what it would cost you to ask for it on your own.