Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Hitch in my giddyup pie

Options
Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364
Baking Steel is within 10lb weight restrictions, not strong enough post surgery to venture out to the egg.  Substituted 8oz KA white wheat flour in Kenji's NY dough recipe, balsamic onion reduction, Italian sausage.  500 degree preheat for one hr.  Cook time 10 minutes.  Could of went a little higher in the oven but I was pleased with the end product.  You guys are gonna love this Steel!  
Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    May have to get me one of them.  Great looking pie.
    Options
    Thanks @Tjcoley.  Steel is a game changer.  Takes pizza to a whole new level.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You the man Focker.

I'm beginning to think you're my doppelganger. Or at least we long lost cousins. We cull stuff from the same places all the time.

This is getting eerie!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Holy holes in pizza, Batman! That crust looks amazing!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Focker
    Options
    You the man Focker. I'm beginning to think you're my doppelganger. Or at least we long lost cousins. We cull stuff from the same places all the time. This is getting eerie!

Couple of weeks back I was doing burgers with my 5 year old boy.  Come inside from prepping the egg and he is eating the tiger sauce batch with the horseradish doubled, out of the jar with a spoon.  It was all over his face.  "I like this sauce dad"  We now, put it on everything!  Gotta start em off right. ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    caliking said:
    Holy holes in pizza, Batman! That crust looks amazing!

Thanks caliking.  The crust is slightly crunchy on the outside, and pillowy soft on the inside.   The wheat flour sub added some flavor depth.  I will be doing that again. Seems to be the right amount without changing the textures.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Man I can't wait! Glad to see you are up and about.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Focker
    Options

Thanks CT.  It was good to see amazing results with a standard 500 degree oven setup.

Haven't forgot about ya by the way.  Things got a little crazy finishing up projects around the house before becoming temporarily incapacitated.  ;)

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Kenji's recipe is my favorite, too; way better than Cook's, I think. Will try it with a bit of white whole wheat. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Focker
    Options

Thanks @jlsm, I agree.  So easy to make, can knock out a batch in less than five minutes.  Very nice to stretch as well.

8 ounces of the KA white wheat seemed just right, good earthy flavor.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    jlsm said:
    Kenji's recipe is my favorite, too; way better than Cook's, I think. Will try it with a bit of white whole wheat. 
    Are you talking about the cold-fermented CI recipe? Kenji and Adam Kuban think both are great. I was planning on doing both to try. Just wanted to see your reasons.
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Options
    Focker said:
    You the man Focker. I'm beginning to think you're my doppelganger. Or at least we long lost cousins. We cull stuff from the same places all the time. This is getting eerie!

Couple of weeks back I was doing burgers with my 5 year old boy.  Come inside from prepping the egg and he is eating the tiger sauce batch with the horseradish doubled, out of the jar with a spoon.  It was all over his face.  "I like this sauce dad"  We now, put it on everything!  Gotta start em off right. ;)

What sauce?
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    @eggcelsior. The CI version didn't have quite the same lift as the Serious Eats recipe. Not the same number of gas bubbles or heft. I made the CI recipe only once, though, so something might have been off on my end. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia