Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Bottom Damper Screen

The other night I was cooking and had an ember pop up on my screen on the bottom door. Not thinking or the beer thinking for me, I flashed it with my MAPP torch and those that know, know that it burnt slap through the screen. Now there is a hole in my damper screen.

Can you buy a replacement screen for this?

·

Comments

• Call your dealer, should be able to order you a new screen door.
    ·
  • Can you patch it using screen from a hardware store? If not, check with your dealer if a replacement screen is available.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,564
    I'm sure..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,386
    my screen tore and i called Bruce and he sent me another out and they are listed as replacement parts so you should be able to get one from the dealer 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,444
    Sucks man. Sorry, but understand when the beer does things like that!!!

For what it is worth, I have neve used my screen one time.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • DavekatzDavekatz Posts: 763
    I had that happen too. $10 from a dealer.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
    ·
  • HogHeavenHogHeaven Posts: 264
    edited April 2013
    Mine has a hole on the top right hand side... I don't worry about it. My egg table sits on my patio which is all rock. No fear of sparks causing a fire. Someday I might do something about it... But I doubt it.
    ·
  • acegg77acegg77 Posts: 96
    Interesting talk about the screen as I've been wondering about it. I've only had BGE a month but I've used it about 20 times now and I don't see a need for the screen. For me it takes longer to light with the screen closed and I find that it blocks too much air even with the slide door fully open.

But since you guys with years of experience have seen sparks, I guess there is a need for it. I spoke with one long-time BGE owner and he said his units didn't even come with screens. 

·
  • Thanks guys I will call and check. I don't use screen when getting started but once it gets up there on high temp cooks I usually close because I have had embers land on my wood nest. My entire setup is on a wood deck so if it all ever caught on fire it would be the entire house.
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    edited May 2013
    acegg77 said:
    Interesting talk about the screen as I've been wondering about it. I've only had BGE a month but I've used it about 20 times now and I don't see a need for the screen. For me it takes longer to light with the screen closed and I find that it blocks too much air even with the slide door fully open.

But since you guys with years of experience have seen sparks, I guess there is a need for it. I spoke with one long-time BGE owner and he said his units didn't even come with screens.

IF(?) you cook over a wood deck, the screen is very important.  I have seen plenty of hot embers, not just "drop" out , but POP out and roll across the floor.

·
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    Yes, the earlier Eggs didn't have a screen.  The screen became a feature suspiciously soon after Nature Boy's house burned down when an ember from an Egg was blown into his garage and started the whole mess, IIRC.
    The Naked Whiz
    ·
  • chukknobchukknob Posts: 10
    I ditched my screen a while back. I don't really see a need for it, unless of course your egg is situated on a haystack.
    ·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,684
    I leave my screen completely open during start-up, just for better air flow.  Once I'm burning, I close the screen right away for safety. 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I am in a no burn surrounding -  and still use the screen.  I have seen my egg "burp" and bounce an ember four feet from the egg.  Sometimes i cook bare footed!! :-S
    ·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,470
    Assuming you have a Large here is the part number.
    Mesh Panel for Large/Medium Draft Door Part Number – MESH L

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·