Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bottom Damper Screen

The other night I was cooking and had an ember pop up on my screen on the bottom door. Not thinking or the beer thinking for me, I flashed it with my MAPP torch and those that know, know that it burnt slap through the screen. Now there is a hole in my damper screen.

Can you buy a replacement screen for this?

Comments

• Call your dealer, should be able to order you a new screen door.
  • Can you patch it using screen from a hardware store? If not, check with your dealer if a replacement screen is available.
    Flint, Michigan
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'm sure..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    my screen tore and i called Bruce and he sent me another out and they are listed as replacement parts so you should be able to get one from the dealer 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Sucks man. Sorry, but understand when the beer does things like that!!!

For what it is worth, I have neve used my screen one time.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    I had that happen too. $10 from a dealer.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    edited April 2013
    Mine has a hole on the top right hand side... I don't worry about it. My egg table sits on my patio which is all rock. No fear of sparks causing a fire. Someday I might do something about it... But I doubt it.
  • acegg77
    acegg77 Posts: 120
    Interesting talk about the screen as I've been wondering about it. I've only had BGE a month but I've used it about 20 times now and I don't see a need for the screen. For me it takes longer to light with the screen closed and I find that it blocks too much air even with the slide door fully open.

But since you guys with years of experience have seen sparks, I guess there is a need for it. I spoke with one long-time BGE owner and he said his units didn't even come with screens. 

• Thanks guys I will call and check. I don't use screen when getting started but once it gets up there on high temp cooks I usually close because I have had embers land on my wood nest. My entire setup is on a wood deck so if it all ever caught on fire it would be the entire house.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    edited May 2013
    acegg77 said:
    Interesting talk about the screen as I've been wondering about it. I've only had BGE a month but I've used it about 20 times now and I don't see a need for the screen. For me it takes longer to light with the screen closed and I find that it blocks too much air even with the slide door fully open.

But since you guys with years of experience have seen sparks, I guess there is a need for it. I spoke with one long-time BGE owner and he said his units didn't even come with screens.

IF(?) you cook over a wood deck, the screen is very important.  I have seen plenty of hot embers, not just "drop" out , but POP out and roll across the floor.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Yes, the earlier Eggs didn't have a screen.  The screen became a feature suspiciously soon after Nature Boy's house burned down when an ember from an Egg was blown into his garage and started the whole mess, IIRC.
    The Naked Whiz
  • chukknob
    chukknob Posts: 10
    I ditched my screen a while back. I don't really see a need for it, unless of course your egg is situated on a haystack.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    I leave my screen completely open during start-up, just for better air flow.  Once I'm burning, I close the screen right away for safety. 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I am in a no burn surrounding -  and still use the screen.  I have seen my egg "burp" and bounce an ember four feet from the egg.  Sometimes i cook bare footed!! :-S
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Assuming you have a Large here is the part number.
    Mesh Panel for Large/Medium Draft Door Part Number – MESH L

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE