Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Pulled Pork Musallam in the tandoor

caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
edited April 2013 in EggHead Forum
I labelled this OT because no eggs were lit for this cook. But I thought you folks may enjoy it nonetheless. 

I needed to come up with an entry for a throwdown on another forum. The aim was to cook a regular bbq meat with an Indian twist. I wanted to make raan musallam (leg of lamb/mutton/goat with a wet spice rub), but figured that was entirely Indianish. So pork musallam was a natural extension of that thought... and then it hit me - why not pulled pork musallam! 

I didn't have much time for marinading, injecting etc. Working this weekend so it had to happen Sat evening/night. Got back home at 6pm on Sat and fired up the tandoor.

Started with a small pork butt (3.5 lbs). Cut in 2 pieces to make a boneless piece for the raan musallam roast and one piece (with bone) to pull for the pulled pork musallam. For the marinade: coriander, garam masala, ginger paste, cayenne, turmeric, mint chutney, garlic paste, cumin and yogurt.

Mixed it all up and slathered onto my lil mini-butts.

Tandoors are designed to burn b@lls to the wall hot, so there isn't scope for trying to regulate the temp. I fired the UDT up with a smaller amount of charcoal than I usually would have. After an hour the temp inside it was ~360°F. I placed a half grate as a shelf inside (leftover from an experiment I had planned for doing steaks in the tandoor) and placed the bone-in piece of butt on the shelf. The boneless piece was skewered and placed in the tandoor. Had to criss-cross the skewers to keep the butt from slipping, because i wanted the meat to cook in the middle of the tandoor. The foil shields were to try and keep the meat from burning. 

After about 25-30mins the boneless piece was done - about 150ish IT, so it got wrapped and coolered. The bone-in piece (for the pulled pork) got wrapped to cook it faster. It was done (IT 200°F) after another 2 hours. The tandoor was running in the 450°F range when I had taken the first butt piece off. 

Filled up the tandoor with more lump and let it rip. Needed to get it HOT for the naans. Mrs. caliking handles the naans, so we just needed the tandoor to ramp up. 

Got my naan tools ready

In the meantime, I made a sauce for the pulled pork out of onions, tomato, cumin, and the leftover marinade for the meat. Pulled the pork, added the sauce, and some chopped cilantro.

Sliced off a couple of slices from the pork musallam roast. It tasted awesome! Experiment was a success!

It was about 10:30pm by then. Tandoor was running at about 650°F up top and the floor temp was 1000°F+ (IR therm maxed out). Mrs. caliking shaped and slapped the naans on. They take maybe 2 or so mins to cook. 

Once the naans were done, it was time to eat. Eaten as a pulled pork sandwich with red onion slaw (onions, lime, and cayenne).

We were starving and I think I was ready to eat my own arm by then. It was well worth the wait though! The pulled pork musallam and the roast both tasted wonderful, so I will be planning on making them again.

I ate this for lunch today, and it tasted even better since the flavors had a chance to get friendly overnight. Also gave me a chance to take a gratuitous pool shot for this cook. 

Thanks for looking!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• oh my god yes. You are going to help me rig up one of those tandoors. AWESOME.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Very, very nice!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    That is beautiful. Very nice.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    That looks outstanding. I would love to get more details on the recipe you used for the spice paste and for the naan. Looks awesome!!
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • oh my god yes. You are going to help me rig up one of those tandoors. AWESOME.

Yes, Please!!!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    So good I looked twice!
  • Is there any way to translate that naan recipe to a BGE?
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited April 2013
    Calli, forgive me for my idiocy and being an ignoramus, but why is it called musallam? Pork and that. Is a big no no ?

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• caliking
    @Aviator: Keen eye, my friend. You are right - this recipe is blasphemous. I almost included a disclaimer about not cooking it for Muslim friends who are strict about halal foods. 

Raan musallam is an "exotic" recipe, from the kitchens of nawabs and such of yester years.This style of cooking (tandoori) came to India from Central Asia, when Mughal invaders (who were Muslim) came to India. You are not likely to find a pork tandoori recipe easily, because halal rules forbid Muslims from eating pork. Hence the lack of tandoori pork recipes. Pork in general is not eaten much in India, other than in Goa, and Kerala, both of which have large Christian populations. 

I adapted this recipe for pork because I specifically didn't want to make it with lamb. Trying to be the cutting edge of tandoor vs. bbq cuisine!

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,669
    That looks awesome!  The one thing I miss the most from my stays in India is naan with butter.

@BuckeyeBob and @Girl_on_Grill : I'll post the naan and marinade recipes later today or tomorrow. The naans should come out well in the egg. I imagine that it would be better to cook them higher in the dome, since that is the equivalent of where they cook in a tandoor.

• caliking
    oh my god yes. You are going to help me rig up one of those tandoors. AWESOME.

Yes, Please!!!
    Sure, not a problem. Mine is "portable", but takes 3 men to move it!

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Amazing. That is one of the more impressive posts I have seen.

I have done naan a good hit. I usually have to do mine one at a time in a skillet and then reheat on the grate of the egg later. The tandoor is cool. Well done!!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • caliking
    edited April 2013
    @Chubbs - I've seen your cooks too, so I appreciate the compliment!

@paqman - garlic butter naan is what I miss. I like butter more than ghee on my naans. 

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Everything looks awesome! 
    =P~

I need to try some naan on the egg sometime soon. 

Love the tandoor and creative cooks! 
    =D>
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited April 2013
    :-O

=D>
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    ^:)^

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• caliking
    @Girl_on_Grill: here is the naan recipe from allrecipes.com. To be honest, I have not tried troubleshooting this recipe, but I think there is room for improvement. The naans came out thicker and more bready than I would have liked this time - we made half the recipe but still used a whole egg so maybe that had something to do with it. 

The next time we make naans, I want to try AP flour instead of bread flour, and add some yogurt to the mix. I'm still not sure whether naans are  traditionally supposed to have yeast or eggs in them, but I'll work on that.

With regards to making them in the egg, I think high heat (600-700°F), pizza stone (or steel?), high in the dome would work best. I have wondered about a way to actually stick them to the inside of  the dome - would probably have to get the egg MF hot to burn off any creosote etc from the inside of the dome first. Also, a naan pillow would help if you plan on doing that. SWMBO wraps up 4 kitchen towels and ties them with butcher's twine to make a cushion. 

@BuckeyeBob: The spice mix for the meat (pork musallam roast):
    3ish pound hunk of meat (traditionally lamb or goat)
    1/2 cup yogurt
    2 tbsp raw papaya taste ----> I did not use this
    2 tbsp ginger paste
    2tbsp garlic paste
    1/4 cup fried onion paste -----> did not use this either
    1tsp garam masala powder
    1tsp cayenne powder
    2tsp EVOO
    salt to taste ( I added 3/4 tsp)

Mix it all up and slather on the meat. Marinate overnight. Smoke/grill until IT reads 145-150°F. FTC for a few hours. Slice and enjoy. 

For the pulled pork version: smoke the meat the same way you do for regular pulled pork (turbo vs. lo n slow, foil, whatever). Pull the meat at 200-205°. FTC x 2-3 hrs minimum. Pull and mix in some cilantro, lime juice, pepper to taste. I made a gravy/sauce out of some of the leftover marinade, onions and tomatoes and mixed it into the pulled meat like barbecue sauce.

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,050
    SuuuuuuWEET!!! How cool!!! Food looks phenomenal too!
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Boom, great stuff
  • caliking
    oh my god yes. You are going to help me rig up one of those tandoors. AWESOME.

The real deal is relatively easy to find...at least the charcoal fired version. I have one of the stainless square ones. I thought I got a bargain for $400 but then I found two more locally that I can buy for $200 each. Yes, a lot of people try to get big bucks out of them but they can be had, for peanuts.
    Really? That's a steal. I had seen commercial/catering tandoors before, mostly gas-fired, as well as the Homdoor, but the prices were prohibitive. i would have bought one for that price in a heartbeat. But most of the ones for purchase were straight cylinders, without the tapered top. I was tired of cr@ppy tandoori chicken at restaurants, so set about making my own. 

Could you post some pics of your tandoor? I would love to see it. 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505

^:)^
    @caliking, impressive as usual.

Guess what?  I was searching for ideas on how to build a tandoor and came across this, post #18 ;)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/43/portable-tandoor-oven-build-14956-2.html

How about running an online tandoor building class here?
    canuckland
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I hate your swimming pool... looks ghetto
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    henapple said:

I hate your swimming pool... looks ghetto

I know... The tandoor dresses it up though. :)

• caliking
    @1310monster: again, those are killer prices. I've seen that swinging drum cooker before and thought it was pretty cool. Will check out the murgh malai recipe - sounds like something I would like.

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    That is a way too cool tandoor. The meal you cooked looks scrumptious. =D> Wow!!
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    you must have a little TN redneck in your blood....I thought we were the only folks that would put a 55 gal drum beside the pool.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    henapple said:
    you must have a little TN redneck in your blood....I thought we were the only folks that would put a 55 gal drum beside the pool.
    Aren't your pools all "above ground"?
  • caliking
    So my collection of "ugly" cookers - namely my tandoor, drum smoker and "portable" mortarless wood fired pizza oven sit tucked away in a corner of the yard. Not ashamed of them, but SWMBO would have something to say if they were right out by the pool :) They are all much loved though!

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Yes sir!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio