Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Going Mobile with the Small (question)

Options
I have recently purchased a small that I want to be mobile. I have seen the egg carten , but it looks more top heavy for the small than the mini.(Besides that i am not sure I know how to order). I have also seen one on the forum made out of wood that looks stable but I am not sure about the wood.Those of you that have a small that is mobile what is the best way?. I was talking to the guy at the welding shop I use about designing something for me.Before I do that, I wanted to consult the forum.
Maumelle, Arkansas

Comments

• CajunEggHead
    Options
    Check out thegrillbarrow.com it is neat for those who want to go mobile

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I dont use anything for the small but the eggcarten looks good. Wouldnt go with a grill barrow. Youd still have to move it and its over priced imo
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options
    Thanks @CajuneggHead , the grill barrow looks like a good product. It is just not what I am looking for. @canegger I agree the egg carten comes the closest to what I want ,but looks a little top heavy(maybe it is not). I wanted to take camping, friends houses etc...
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I have a small and use a nest. I move it in a minivan and bungee it in place. I have shelves with it and those are great when Egging "on the road".
    Flint, Michigan
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    We take our small with us all the time. It sat in the back seat of the car this time, all the way from BC Canada, to Palm Springs CA. I bring my nest along and put it down where I am going to have the egg and then I take the guts out of the egg, (if it is going to be a longer walk) and i just carry it. This time it was a bit of a walk, I ended up opening the bottom vent and putting some paper towel in the hole, so my fingers could grab into the hole, the other hand just grabs the hinge and away we go. I do also have a fold down portable cart that I have used too. I got that at Costco for $20.
    Good Luck. Having the egg on a vacation is SWEET
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Randy1
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone yea, I even ordered one and cancelled my order thinking I wanted an eggcarten. Maybe I should reconsider.I will be putting it in a truck bed though?
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Options
    @Randy1 I know @Solson005 uses his small in an eggcarten all the time he would be able to let you know
  • Randy1
    Options
    @smokesniffer thanks, maybe the nest is the way to go.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Hey Randy the nest does take up room in the vehicle when it is assembled, but for me I works well. The small is manageable weight wise, using the nest you ain't spending any more dollars either. ;)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    i made my own for the large. for the small alot use a cheap planter lifter made of strapping to move it and simply put it on a stone when wherever

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Randy1
    Options
    @smokesniffer I didn't get a nest with it, but I like the way a nest works.I am not sure how it would fare in a truck bed (trying to avoid taking it out every time).
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I use the Eggcarten almost weekly and love it. I would defiantly get a pot lifter to move it if you go another route. It isn't the weight that makes it hard to transport, its the awkward place to position you hand at the bottom of the egg. I put the Eggcarten on a teak shower stand and love it. @RAC has a nice table that it sits on.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Randy1
    Options
    @fishlessman mmmm...sounds kind of good too! Thanks. @Solson005 how would you rate it's stability in terms of tipping over?
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Solson005
    Options
    As long as you have a good base it won't tip. It's more stable than the nest if you compare the two. I like it in my backseat better than buckling it in without it. I can post some pictures when I get home from work. You probably are just seeing it at the wrong angles. It's a sturdy piece.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Randy1
    Options
    @Solson005 Ok, I would like to see them. It is sounding more like "me" all the time.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Check out the pot lifter. It's cheap and super easy to use. The eggcarten is on my want list, but the pot lifter is a very useful alternative

XLBGE 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I have a nest and the pot lifter.  I use a pot lifter to help move it.   I take the egg out of the nest for transport, but sometimes bring the nest along as well and put the egg back in the nest when I get where I am going.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Randy1
    Options
    @MrCookingNurse Ok, I will check it out. I want something permanent but that will work for now until I decide. Thanks
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options

I have a nest and the pot lifter.  I use a pot lifter to help move it.   I take the egg out of the nest for transport, but sometimes bring the nest along as well and put the egg back in the nest when I get where I am going.  

I'd buy a cheap used nest in a heart beat. Ain't found one yet. Working on an idea to build something myself. Really wanna safely get the small in the back of my dads air plane.

XLBGE 
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited April 2013
    Options
    @smokesniffer described the method of transport for my small exactly.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    The potlifter vs egg carten are great transport devices IMO. The egg carten is probably better, but it does cost more. 

I modified the nest for my small egg to make it less likely to tip over and to give it all terrain capabilities ! :) Yet to take it camping, but I plan to use a potlifter to load and unload from my lil SUV, and use the nest to roll it around as needed. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Solson005
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Ok these are ones I had on photo bucket if you would like a different angle just let me know. 

• Randy1
    Options
    @caliking I am taking mine camping this weekend. Man, you did modify yours. That looks great! @Solson005 thank you for posting those. I think that is what I want. I looked online and the only thing I found was a blog with an email address. Is that the only way to order?
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Solson005
    Options
    Sure no problem. Yes, he makes them on the side and only takes checks or money orders. Scott is in the Houston area and a great guy to deal with. He does usually have a few in stock so it ships pretty quick. 
  • Randy1
    Options
    @Solson005 ok,sounds great. Seeing the carten at different angles helped.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • foneman
    foneman Posts: 104
    Options
    Where are all of you finding these "planter lifters"? I did a google search and can only find the cloth like straps for moving these planters.

Thanks in advance for any advice you could provide!!!

john
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited April 2013
    Options
    @foneman : Try this.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • maximus1
    maximus1 Posts: 38
    Options
    Just picked up a small for 75.00 on CL today, in decent shape, fired it up to 800 to clean it out, replaced gasket, and basically just cleaned it up.  Definitely gonna use it as a "mobile egg" so any info on the planter lifter would be appreciated.    
    2 Large BGE, 1 Small.  
  • foneman
    foneman Posts: 104
    Options
    Thanks Caliking for the link!! 

john
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    I have a small and use a nest. I move it in a minivan and bungee it in place. I have shelves with it and those are great when Egging "on the road".
    Did you say that you have factory shelves for your small?
    Gittin' there...