Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Doing Foghorn's pineapple shrimp

I'm experimenting with Foghorn's pineapple shrimp today. I'll be cooking these as appetizers in a Eggfest cook in a couple of months. I added a bit of seasoning and precooked the bacon. I want to get the egg cook down to about 15 to 20 minutes. Marinated the shrimp in 1/4 cup EVOO

1 tsp kosher salt

1 tsp granulated garlic

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper, cover and refrigerateed for 1 hour. Seasoned pineapple with DP Pineapple Head. I precooked the bacon in the oven for 10 minutes @ 400. I'll season the bacon with DP Raging river and cook with some babybacks @ 325-350 indirect for 15-20 minutes, hopefully. Will post pics as it progresses.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Looks like you are off to a great start, can't wait to see the finish.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Made these a couple weeks ago and they were fantastic - enjoy.
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    I'm a cave man who scribbled on a wall.  @billyray is Michelangelo...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Foghorn said:
    I'm a cave man who scribbled on a wall.  @billyray is Michelangelo...

Thanks, but not true, it was your original cook that inspired me. The results were great. Pre-cooking the bacon in the oven @ 400 for 10 minutes worked perfect for me. I prepped these about 6 hours before I cooked them and refridgerated them and they held up well. This made them a little firmer to handle.  They finished in 17 minutes on the egg @325 indirect. Bacon was perfect and shrimp were just right. The only thing I'll do different at the eggfest cook is only use 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper, instead of 1/2 tsp in the marinate because the heat profile may be a little to hot for some people. But is was fine for me. The babybacks were pretty good, too.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    That looks amazing...you and Foghorn are both artists as far as I'm concerned ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I tried them a while back and failed. The third of bacon was way too small. Everything fell apart. Totally operator error. Next time I will use more bacon to hold it together.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Foghorn
    I'm guessing that whoever joined you for dinner viewed you as Michelangelo. :)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• billyray
    Our guests really liked them. They want me to bring them to their house the next time we get together for dinner. Thanks again for sharing your original post. Hopefully we will get to Salado next year and thank you in person.
  • Foghorn
    edited April 2013
    Glad you and your guests enjoyed them. I probably should have made it more clear that I wasn't just referring to the appetizer, but the whole meal. Those ribs look awesome.

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Chubbs said:

I tried them a while back and failed. The third of bacon was way too small. Everything fell apart. Totally operator error. Next time I will use more bacon to hold it together.

I've had them turn out like that a couple of times. If it happens again I'm just going to salvage what I can and stick it in a ziplock in the refrigerator. Then I'll put it over pasta for dinner the following night. The only question is whether SWMBO would technically count it as "leftovers" in that setting. We (she) try not to have leftovers 2 nights in a row.

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Any idea on how to get more flavor to the shrimp? I made these and the shrimp didnt really have much flavor....

Any suggestions?

Did you ceviche them in lime juice?  Based on feedback from others it seems that marinating in lime juice and then cooking them results in overcooked shrimp - but I kinda like the lime flavor. I did them recently without the lime juice step and didn't like them as much. 

San Antonio, TX

• billyray
    edited April 2013
    @<A class=Username href="http://eggheadforum.com/profile/53511/mountaindewbass"><STRONG><FONT color=#00573d size=3>mountaindewbass</FONT></STRONG></A> Marinate the shrimp in 1/4 cup EVOO, 1 tsp kosher salt, 1 tsp granulated garlic, 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper, 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper. If you don't like heat only use 1/4 tsp of the cayenne. Mix all together, add the shrimp and coat, cover and refridgerate for an hour. Then put together with the pineapple and bacon.