Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does adding liquid speed up a cook?

Options

So this weekend I did a whole pork loin and thought just for the hell of it I would add a few cans of beer to my drip pan.  I was cooking at about 265 and had previously done the exact same cook and it took about 4 hours.  I checked it after 2 hours this time and I was already at 165 internal...way faster than the last cook.  Would the liquid in the drip pan have sped things along that much by creating the steam?

XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That is an interesting question.  My initial thought is that liquid would slow down the cook because the liquid will stay at about 212.  However, I think steam has a higher rate of heat transfer than dry air.  Also if the egg was sealed up pretty tight on the top it could act somewhat like a pressure cooker.  As the steam builds up the pressure in the egg increases, and at higher pressure the steam can get hotter than 212.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    If there was steam, that would speed things up. But raising the humidity slows things down. Humid air doesn't transmit heat as well as dry air. If I recall correctly, added water vapor lowers the modulus of conductivity to about 50% of dry air.

What I find surprising is how slow the first cook was. I usually expect the food temp to increase about 1 degree F per 90 seconds till it hits its plateau period. Then it can stay there for hours. A more humid environment will make the plateau/stall even longer.

Concievabley the earlier cook had meat w. more fluid in it.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    gdenby said:
    If there was steam, that would speed things up. But raising the humidity slows things down. Humid air doesn't transmit heat as well as dry air. If I recall correctly, added water vapor lowers the modulus of conductivity to about 50% of dry air.

What I find surprising is how slow the first cook was. I usually expect the food temp to increase about 1 degree F per 90 seconds till it hits its plateau period. Then it can stay there for hours. A more humid environment will make the plateau/stall even longer.

Concievabley the earlier cook had meat w. more fluid in it.
    He's got a pork loin. I don't know if he was trying to get that hot. I agree though, moist cooking techniques are longer.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    I'm not a scientist (never even played one on TV) but there is something about the law of heat exchange that basically means steam produces more energy than boiling water. That's why getting burned by steam can be far worse than being burned by boiling water. Not sure if that means that the steam promoted a faster cook or not.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    If I do a braise on the egg I have to go to at least 325* or so to get a simmer. I doubt you would get a lot of steam at 265*

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    One other comment, the temperature of the steam will be close to the air temp inside the cooker.  It will not be 212.  The liquid in the drip pan will be 212, but when the liquid is converted to steam, the steam's temperature can rise as hot as you make it in the cooker. 
    The Naked Whiz
  • Kruegs
    Kruegs Posts: 128
    Options
    Thanks for comments.  I don't think it added any moisture or flavor to the pork anyway.  I'll let everyone know if I go back to no liquid and get similar results.  I'm a newbie, so it could have been something else completely unrelated.
    XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin