Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pesto-Provolone Stuffed Chicken Wrapped in Bacon

It was finally the time to try stuffing some chicken. Why I waited so long, I have no idea. This will be in the rotation of cooks from now on!

First I butterflied some chicken breasts. Then smeared pesto and put a slice of provolone, closed it back up and put in some toothpicks to keep everything inside. 

On to the CGW Swing Rack along with the rest of the package of chicken for lunches next week. 

I cooked it indirect because I figured direct might cause some problems getting the bacon crispy at the same time as the chicken. 
After the plain pieces were done I moved the stuffed chicken up to the top and threw on some baby asparagus. 

These were really good, I used cherry and apple wood and the smoky flavor took away some of the bacon flavor so next time I would probably skip the wood chips. 

Served with a rice pilaf.

Great meal and now its time to experiment with different fillings! 

I also got a Foodsaver last week and decided to get the mason jar attachment and made salads in a jar with the extra chicken we cooked on the egg. 

People say the lettuce stays crispy even 9 days later. I love the foodsaver already and I can actually justify getting giant briskets and bigger meat purchases and have them ready to eat some awesome leftovers on the egg! 

Today was some Allegro Hot & Spicy marinaded Chicken legs big thanks to @Doc_Eggerton they were really good! 

I hope everybody had a great weekend! I know we did and I already have lunches made for the week! 
Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 

Comments

• EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Looks great!   My wife was an addict with those mason jar salads set up that way.   We just need to get a vacuum sealer :)
    Large BGE

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    @EddieK76 thanks, the salads should be a great way to prep everything on the weekend and just grab and go on the way to work.

For my food saver, they were having a sale and went to the actual website and put it in a shopping cart to see the price. I didn't buy it right away and got a email five hours later with another 15% off (I had to setup a account to see the sales price) I got the v3880 master chef kit with the marinator and a couple extra rolls. It has the retractable accessory hose and works great.

I got tired of wasting food and finally got one.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Nice looking cooks. I especially like the salad idea (since I'm eating a ton of that right now). I'm going to have to look into that mason jar idea. Thanks for sharing it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Solson005
    Sure @Griffin I think it should be great! If you leave extra room at the top they say you can just shake it up and the dressing will coat everything. These got too full so I'll just bring a bowl.

Wet ingredients on bottom, lettuce on top.
  • milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    @Solson005 what a great idea with the mason jars and salads.  Just got a food saver last week and you are right it finally gives me excuses for buying the big briskets and pork shoulders.  

It was also very helpful in keeping smoked cheese fresh (and the refrigerator not too smoky) until it is ready for prime time!

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    So it still uses the original lids for the mason jars and its just an attachment that fits over it and seals it? I see something on their site for $8.99.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Solson005
    edited April 2013
    @Griffin yes original lids. They have a wide mouth one and the regular one. You just need to have a clean edge on both the lid and the jar. Try not to tweak the lid when you pop it off, if it gets bent it will be harder to seal the next time. Some people say flipping a second lid on top before you put the attachment on helps seal it if its not perfect anymore. These were new so it was easy.

And the accessory hose of course. I see some food savers have the port but don't come with the hose.
  • Solson005
    @milesbrown4 I will have to add smoking cheese to the ever growing list!

Yeah I just buy block cheese and shred it myself. Now it can last a really long time!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Solson005 said:

@milesbrown4 I will have to add smoking cheese to the ever growing list!

Yeah I just buy block cheese and shred it myself. Now it can last a really long time!

I have had cheese I smoked in the fridge for 16 days. Going to try it this week. Pretty excited about it
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Solson005
    Awesome @chubbs post how it turns out when you do try it!

I just had one of the salads. Best to-go salad I have ever had! And the chicken from the egg was a nice touch!
  • Looks Awsome,  nice one.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Solson005 said:

Awesome @chubbs post how it turns out when you do try it!

I just had one of the salads. Best to-go salad I have ever had! And the chicken from the egg was a nice touch!

My food saver has a hose attachment but not sure how it works. Guess I need to figure it out. Looks so good! Nice work
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Great cooks. I don't know why I don't make chicken breasts... need to change that. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Solson005
    Thanks @chris123stock simple but tasty! 

@Chubbs if you have the hose you just hit the accessory button and it will take the air out. I also got the wine stoppers and it works great too! 

Thanks @caliking chicken is so much better on the egg I have a hard time ordering it anywhere when we go out, it always tastes dry at restaurants now. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Everything looks great.  I love the idea of the mason jar McSalad shakers. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Nice cook.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Solson005
    Thanks @SmokeyPitt and @Mickey weekday lunches just got a whole lot better. 

I made a Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette that was really good too! 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I've gotta get a leg rack. Keep tho long I'm just stumble upon one.

Nice cooks!

The mason jar attachment looks really interesting. I'm have to do some reading up. You will love your food saver. Prolly some of the best money I've spent this year.

XLBGE 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    Fantabulous, @Solson005! You have me drooling!
  • Solson005
    @MrCookingNurse I think I found mine in the clearance section at lowes. It was cheap and makes legs so easy and they come out perfect! 

I think the mason jar is awesome. I just shook the crap out of the jar and even with it being really full it coated almost all the lettuce perfectly. I did bring a bowl to dump it into but I could have gotten by without one. I will be storing strawberries in one and test to see if they stay fresh, which I imagine they will. 

Now I'm going to start playing around with my own dressings and do at least a couple every weekend. 

The foodsaver is awesome, I have gone through a roll with the brisket, pulled pork, and a trip to sam's and love it already. 

Thanks @Dyal_SC everything was great! 
  • milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    @Solson005 it is also a great way to cook boneless chicken - I have always tried to convince my wife to cook chicken (and everything else) on the bone and now I have a way to cook all those dang boneless skinless breasts in my freezer!

@Chubbs I also have been patiently awaiting the first tasting of my smoked cheese project....with 6 pounds of new cheese ready to smoke in the next day or so!  Bon Appetit!

• Solson005
    Very true @milesbrown4 I usually do spatchcock or bone in, but these make boneless taste really good! 
  • Solson005
    The layers in the salad: 

Dressing, carrots, broccoli, grape tomatoes, shredded cheese, baby bell peppers (yellow and orange), chicken from the egg, lettuce, and sunflower seeds.