Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Different Lump at Wal-Mart

Options
Walking through Walmart today and saw they are carrying Best of the West. They still have Royal Oak too.
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Best of the west is great if you like some start up fireworks. Used it in my mini and it caught a roll of paper towels nearly on fire about 3 feet away. My wife was not impressed
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I've gone through hundreds of pounds but he's right, it's like the 4th of july when it gets going. Last time I used it may table burned down. probably a coincidence but I'm done with it out of superstition.

They normally have huge pieces that can be too big to even fit in your egg. Like logs. Just hit them with a hammer and they crumble to more manageable pieces. Lots of ash too but at under .40 cents per lb, it's a great deal.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I use Humphrey, but I thought I'd throw it out there. I remember a while back there were some best of the west fans. Through a bulk buy I'm getting my next order of Humphrey for $13.19/20lbs bag. That price includes shipping. I'm getting 30 bags. It will last me through the summer.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    Agreed about the logs in the bag and the sparks. I wet the grass down in my backyard when I use it after sparks set it on fire last summer. 
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Best of the west: $15 for 40lbs.

It would have to suck way worse for me to quit using it.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Wow, @travisstrick. Wal-Mart's price wasn't nearly that cheap. Royal Oak was cheaper. The Best of the west was only in 5 lb bags.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    SAMs club.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Sam's Club has Best Of The West 20 pound bags for $11.98 a bag. I found it made mainly from cut tree limbs, some of which would not burn? I threw it away,and have noticed my Sam's has not sold much of it!